Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health (61392 Views)

Girl Eating Noodles From A Toilet Bowl (Photo) / I Bet You Won’t Eat Instant Noodles Again After Seeing This / NAFDAC Issues Alert On The Presence Of Contaminated Nestle Maggi Noodles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Leosamitodo(m): 1:52pm On Nov 15, 2015
nawaooo whats your advise now,that we should stop eating indomie?,all those side effect u mention can only take effect if u pass ur boundry,life is all about balance...imagine say person de ask u what is the side effect of amala,akpu,corn food mixed with egusi soup?
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by omojeesu(m): 1:57pm On Nov 15, 2015
Chumani:

Instant “ramen” noodles are a massively popular
staple – especially in the collegiate population.
While genuine ramen noodles made from flour
and without additives are not cause for serious
concern, the cheap instant noodles are a total
additive-fest. People who live on campus and
find it hard to budget their money often end up
surviving on instant noodles several days a week.
In Asia, the popularity and convenience of
instant noodles is even bigger; it’s a quick,
cheap, and easy to way to ease your hunger –
but how do instant noodles affect your health?

#1 Instant Noodles Are Extremely High In
Sodium
Instant noodles are extremely high in sodium –
one packet containing 1875mg – more than the
entire RDA of 1500mg. Sodium is one of the
leading causes of both hypertension (high blood
pressure) and kidney dysfunction. How? Sodium
causes a build-up of fluid in the body, raising
blood pressure which destroys the delicate
vessels that supply the kidneys with blood. This
is the reason why people with kidney problems
are strongly advised to avoid preserved food
items and too much salt in their diet.

#2 Instant Noodles Are Loaded With MSG
MSG is a specific kind of sodium found in most
preserved food items like instant noodles and
canned food. MSG intake has been linked to an
increased risk for cancer and hypersensitivity
reactions like migraines, flushing, and chest pain.
While the FDA has officially labeled MSG as
generally safe, it remains a highly controversial
ingredient. Because of these reports of hypersensitivity and a potential risk for cancer,
they require all food items to list MSG as an
ingredient if it was used in any way to make the
product.

#3 Preservatives Affect Nutrition Absorption In
The Body because instant noodles have extremely high levels of preservatives, they can also affect the
way our bodies absorb nutrients. The stomach
and intestines are where nutrition absorption
takes place and are home to good bacteria that
aids in digestion. Preservatives harm these good
bacteria, lowering their numbers (and increasing
the number of bad bacteria!) and affecting our
bodies’ ability to absorb nutrients from food.
This can cause problems like nutrient deficiency
and long-term absorption problems.

#4 Instant Noodles Contain Antifreeze
Yes, they really do. While instant noodles have
your typical preservatives like MSG, they also
have lesser known ingredients that will have you
raising your eyebrow. Propylene glycol – a
colorless liquid – is a popular antifreeze because
of its ability to absorb water. It also happens to
be used to preserve the texture of instant
noodles as well, prolonging their shelf life. A
2004 study also linked propylene glycol in take
with an increased risk for liver cancer.

#5 Instant Noodles Have Been Linked With
Plasticizer Contamination
Plasticizers are additives that increase the flexibility of non-food items. However, back in 2011 and 2012, Chinese instant noodles (including certain brains that are exported to th US) were found to be contaminated with toxic levels of plasticizers. When this substance is ingested, it damages the digestive tract and
increases a person’s risk for gastrointestinal and
hepatic cancer.

#6 Instant Noodles Often Contain A Cocktail Of
Unhealthy Ingredients.
Instant noodles and their packet sauces
commonly contain canola oil, corn syrup and
Tertiary Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ) – a highly
controversial preservative that is also added to
perfumes, lacquers, and biodiesel!

www.herbs-info.com/blog/why-instant-noodles-may-be-destroying-your-health/

PRINCIPLE: Many times many products that are aggressively marketed are dangerous to human health e.g. soft drinks
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by emesv26(m): 2:00pm On Nov 15, 2015
So make we stop to dey eat noodles
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by leoweblinkblog(m): 2:02pm On Nov 15, 2015
I take noodles out of frustration o - When tired and cannot cook, then I will just manage it.
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 15, 2015
Noodles are safe to eat and doesn't contain MSG. Though the seasoning contains MSG and you can't avoid that in other spices and flavour, I have experience in the mixing section, it's only made of flour, tetrazine, salt, corn starch and few other safe ingredients.
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by ibntwk: 2:05pm On Nov 15, 2015
Tired of all these warnings...am very sure whether you like it or not one thing must kill a man.
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by professore(m): 2:06pm On Nov 15, 2015
This is informative
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by redsun(m): 2:13pm On Nov 15, 2015
The proliferation of such foods in Africa are the cause of increase in cancer, liver diseases and all sort terminal diseases that were alien to Africa a decade or so ago.

Eat fresh,organic and safe. Do not become machines on the fast lanethat eats whatever convenient just to keep going,even though it is highly toxic.
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by kellsblingsz(m): 2:15pm On Nov 15, 2015
if na so na em be say na die wey i de so becos na boarding school wey i go since my secondary school up to university level, and m sure i hv consumed up to 20,000 cartons of indomie. But d last time i checked, nafin was wrong wit me, so i guess d killer indomie doesn't kill everyone. maybe d MSG abi na SMG or HKN d look face cheesy ...
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by aydot34: 2:15pm On Nov 15, 2015
[quote author=coollabman post=40005225]

monosodium glutamate is the active ingredient in all seasoning cubes and powders. its not only white maggi (about 98% pure MSG) that contains it, every other favour or taste improving substance has it.[/quote
Non essential amino acid
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by bigv(m): 2:17pm On Nov 15, 2015
Your Head is there wink
pinkyruledworld:
mimmee
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by cooluc(f): 2:20pm On Nov 15, 2015
Slickest:
Nawa oo..chop this cancer, chop dat diabetes, stay hungry u die...either way we still gon die!!!
That's just it, a lot of health hazard stuff on the internet...keeps one wondering what is safe to eat..ranging from Red meat to imported assorted meat, canned foods, imported chicken and turkey, sachet water, heat up canned drinks ummmm the list is endless
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by BlackHuman(m): 2:20pm On Nov 15, 2015
forget all dis crap, and eat whatever u want....Just drink ur natural bitter herbs from time to time to Clean ur System and u'll be alright....it works for me.
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by ify84(m): 2:28pm On Nov 15, 2015
I don't understand all these noodles this, noodles that.. . Is it that nafdac and Co that gives them license are ignorant of all these??
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Aarenasbaba(m): 2:29pm On Nov 15, 2015
Wetyn make we dey chop nah? undecided if dis is not hypertension,that will b diabetes another will b kidney....nah stone I go dey chop nw jawee
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Lasveg(m): 2:31pm On Nov 15, 2015
Valar Morghulis (All men must die)

1 Like

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by bennyrazz: 2:38pm On Nov 15, 2015
no wonder when I eat the stuff I feel disoriented
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by bummyla(m): 2:39pm On Nov 15, 2015
Thank You For This Information! http://www.bummyla.com
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by osesology(m): 2:52pm On Nov 15, 2015
Slickest:
Nawa oo..chop this cancer, chop dat diabetes, stay hungry u die...either way we still gon die!!!
D tin tire me o. Even the ewedu that is being glorified today, when some scientists decides to do an indept research tomorrow, they will also come out to tell us some harmful ingredients it contains. Make we just dey flex the life dey go till we drop dead abeg. Nobody wey no go die.
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by yhemsy62(m): 2:54pm On Nov 15, 2015
denkyw:
wetin concern me, all this things no dey kill African man
lol. Shey na iron body Africa man get ni
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Humaam(m): 3:03pm On Nov 15, 2015
I had seen dis coming. Am proud of my pounded yam and Amala
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Gracito(f): 3:08pm On Nov 15, 2015
Why I wan chow noodles? Just find me eba and afang soup. grin
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by enginer050(m): 3:10pm On Nov 15, 2015
if man no die fr smtin som tin mos kil man
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by ben1daEbiri(m): 3:15pm On Nov 15, 2015
Slickest:
something must surely kill a man;i tell you but it's better you eat and die than stay hungry and die!
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by philipobiz: 3:18pm On Nov 15, 2015
That is why you need to constantly detoxify yourself

Trust the leaf and the opportunity

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by FemiFaniKayode: 3:27pm On Nov 15, 2015
ednut1:
I don tire for all this health paroles abeg.man must die of something. Once saw a quote in punch newspaper like 10 years ago. 'They say red meat is bad but I have never seen a sick lion' grin

abi oooo if noodles no good why all of us never die finish??
make them liv matter for Matthias
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by FemiFaniKayode: 3:29pm On Nov 15, 2015
bennyrazz:
no wonder when I eat the stuff I feel disoriented

only disoriented?? what of discombobulated? grin
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 3:32pm On Nov 15, 2015
All i see are indomie children and adults everywhere. They look so frail and lethargic. The other day, i gave one just a blow, na dat blow send am go healthcentre. The guy size na die but him system don cast.
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by mentorken05(m): 3:33pm On Nov 15, 2015
coollabman:

monosodium glutamate is the active ingredient in all seasoning cubes and powders. its not only white maggi (about 98% pure MSG) that contains it, every other favour or taste improving substance has it.
it can also be found in ogiri
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by bennyrazz: 3:36pm On Nov 15, 2015
FemiFaniKayode:

only disoriented?? what of discombobulated? grin
ha ha ha ha grin
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by InvertedHammer: 3:56pm On Nov 15, 2015
Chumani:

Instant “ramen” noodles are a massively popular
staple – especially in the collegiate population.
While genuine ramen noodles made from flour
and without additives are not cause for serious
concern, the cheap instant noodles are a total
additive-fest. People who live on campus and
find it hard to budget their money often end up
surviving on instant noodles several days a week.
In Asia, the popularity and convenience of
instant noodles is even bigger; it’s a quick,
cheap, and easy to way to ease your hunger –
but how do instant noodles affect your health?

#1 Instant Noodles Are Extremely High In
Sodium
Instant noodles are extremely high in sodium –
one packet containing 1875mg – more than the
entire RDA of 1500mg. Sodium is one of the
leading causes of both hypertension (high blood
pressure) and kidney dysfunction. How? Sodium
causes a build-up of fluid in the body, raising
blood pressure which destroys the delicate
vessels that supply the kidneys with blood. This
is the reason why people with kidney problems
are strongly advised to avoid preserved food
items and too much salt in their diet.

#2 Instant Noodles Are Loaded With MSG
MSG is a specific kind of sodium found in most
preserved food items like instant noodles and
canned food. MSG intake has been linked to an
increased risk for cancer and hypersensitivity
reactions like migraines, flushing, and chest pain.
While the FDA has officially labeled MSG as
generally safe, it remains a highly controversial
ingredient. Because of these reports of hypersensitivity and a potential risk for cancer,
they require all food items to list MSG as an
ingredient if it was used in any way to make the
product.

#3 Preservatives Affect Nutrition Absorption In
The Body because instant noodles have extremely high levels of preservatives, they can also affect the
way our bodies absorb nutrients. The stomach
and intestines are where nutrition absorption
takes place and are home to good bacteria that
aids in digestion. Preservatives harm these good
bacteria, lowering their numbers (and increasing
the number of bad bacteria!) and affecting our
bodies’ ability to absorb nutrients from food.
This can cause problems like nutrient deficiency
and long-term absorption problems.

#4 Instant Noodles Contain Antifreeze
Yes, they really do. While instant noodles have
your typical preservatives like MSG, they also
have lesser known ingredients that will have you
raising your eyebrow. Propylene glycol – a
colorless liquid – is a popular antifreeze because
of its ability to absorb water. It also happens to
be used to preserve the texture of instant
noodles as well, prolonging their shelf life. A
2004 study also linked propylene glycol in take
with an increased risk for liver cancer.

#5 Instant Noodles Have Been Linked With
Plasticizer Contamination
Plasticizers are additives that increase the flexibility of non-food items. However, back in 2011 and 2012, Chinese instant noodles (including certain brains that are exported to th US) were found to be contaminated with toxic levels of plasticizers. When this substance is ingested, it damages the digestive tract and
increases a person’s risk for gastrointestinal and
hepatic cancer.

#6 Instant Noodles Often Contain A Cocktail Of
Unhealthy Ingredients.
Instant noodles and their packet sauces
commonly contain canola oil, corn syrup and
Tertiary Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ) – a highly
controversial preservative that is also added to
perfumes, lacquers, and biodiesel!

www.herbs-info.com/blog/why-instant-noodles-may-be-destroying-your-health/

/
The high sodium content alone should be enough deterrent.

Nice analysis!

The best gift you can give to yourself and loved ones is taking them to a clinic for blood pressure check. High BP is a silent killer. It is very asymptomatic. I believe that a lot of unresolved deaths can be attributed to it and not the " uncle in the village" conspiracy theory.
/

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Snake My Fish Net Caught / Iced Water Makes A Comeback As Price Of Sachet Water Skyrockets (pic, Video) / Would You Eat This Cockroach-Like Cake That Has Got The Internet Buzzing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.