Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths (1858 Views)

20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin / List Of The 5 Youngest PhD Holders In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Nobody: 2:26am On Nov 15, 2015
By Richard Felani / Oct 22, 2015

1. Only naturals can be great speakers.
There are certainly some people whose personalities allow them to get in front of a crowd with little fear and project their voice.

But, of course, being a great public speaker requires much more than a strong will and loud voice. Like any other skill, the only way to look like a true "natural" on stage is through disciplined practice.

And don't feel that anything you may consider a negative trait — a speech impediment, heavy accent, social anxiety — needs to hold you back. For example, this year's Toastmasters International World Champion of Public Speaking, Mohammed Qahtani, has dealt with a stutter for his entire life, and learned to keep it from emerging in his speeches.

And even if it did pop up, he wouldn't be worried. He told Business Insider that he knew some of his competitors had a stronger voice or more impressive stage presence than he did, but his gift was comedic timing. Everyone has their strengths, and they can compensate for your weaknesses.

2. Experienced speakers no longer become nervous before a speech.
As Stanford psychologist Kelly McGonigal explained in a viral 2013 TED Talk, the rush of adrenaline you feel before a performance is a natural reaction that should not be anxiety-inducing, but rather empowering.

As you develop as a speaker, your pre-speech jitters will diminish, but that flare of your nerves will never go away if you're about to give a presentation you genuinely care about.

Former New York Toastmasters president Joshua Rinaldi told Business Insider that anyone from a novice to professional can benefit from avoiding caffeine an hour before their presentation and 30 seconds of controlled, deep breaths before stepping in front of your audience, in order to best manage your nervous energy.

3. Introverts can't excel on stage.
Susan Cain, author of the bestseller "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking," explains in her book that introverts are not necessarily shy, but gain energy from low-key environments.

Continuing on the earlier point about playing to strengths, introverts don't need to mimic a high-energy extrovert like Tony Robbins when they speak to an audience, but can go at their own pace in a thoughtful way.

Cain, a self-described introvert, said she joined Toastmasters to become a better public speaker because it provided her with a forum to practice that felt safe and supportive.

4. The best speeches are memorized.
Many beginners think that giving a speech is similar to giving a monologue in a play, memorizing carefully constructed lines word for word. In a presentation, however, you need to work off of your audience to best impart value to them.

Performance coach Tony Robbins has given thousands of presentations to packed audiences over the past 30 years, and said that the only way a presentation works is if it's in some way tailored to the people in front of him.

"So if you're just giving some frickin' talk you've memorized over and over again, you're going to have a flat affect," he said. "If you've just got a bunch of visuals on the screen that are leading your talk, hang up your shoes and get the hell out of there."

"You need to be in the moment and flexible to make it real and raw," Robbins said. "You'll enjoy it, they'll enjoy it, and you'll be memorable."

5. There's a rigid code of conduct for speeches.
Giving a serious speech doesn't require you to stand rigidly behind a lectern. And if you're going to go without a podium, you shouldn't be conscious of yourself when it's time to give the presentation. You should instead be genuine, which in turn makes you engaging.

It comes with practice. "It took me 10 years to learn to be myself on stage," 2014 Toastmasters champion Dananjaya Hettiarachchi said with a laugh. By feeling comfortable with your movements and expressions, you can maintain a conversational tone with your audience, which is paramount.

source: businessinsider.com/most-common-public-speaking-myths-2015-10

3 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Nobody: 3:21am On Nov 15, 2015
Nice points, I think public speaking is done best when you have an in depth knowledge on the subject matter, you know some pastors will scream and shout at the top of their voice at the same time moving from left to right on the Altar yet have little impact, but just listen to Pa Adeboye, he is cool and gentle but the words are very powerful.

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by RealAdewole(m): 4:21am On Nov 15, 2015
I dont like public speaking
Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Heromaniaa: 5:21am On Nov 15, 2015
l love public speaking.

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by mckenzieRx: 6:16am On Nov 15, 2015
True talk...

Practice! Practice!! Practice!!!
Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 15, 2015
imas:
Nice points, I think public speaking is done best when you have an in depth knowledge on the subject matter
Yes, very true.

imas:
you know some pastors will scream and shout at the top of their voice at the same time moving from left to right on the Altar yet have little impact, but just listen to Pa Adeboye, he is cool and gentle but the words are very powerful.
LOL

RealAdewole:
You can do it; just believe in yourself.

Heromaniaa:
l love public speaking.
That's good.

mckenzieRx:
True talk...
Practice! Practice!! Practice!!!
Definitely! smiley

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Chinum: 7:11pm On Jun 26, 2016
RealAdewole:
I don't like it either. But it's one thing we all must learn in other to move ahead career wise. You can join Toastmasters. I'm sure you would give your testimony. smiley

1 Like

Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by RealAdewole(m): 12:13am On Jun 27, 2016
Chinum:
I don't like it either. But it's one thing we all must learn in other to move ahead career wise. You can join Toastmasters. I'm sure you would give your testimony. smiley
who are the those
Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Chinum: 5:45am On Jun 27, 2016
RealAdewole:
who are the those

It's a club that helps ppl acquire that skill. You can google Toatmasters Intl. You would find helpful info about them.
Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jun 27, 2016
Chinum:

It's a club that helps ppl acquire that skill. You can google Toatmasters Intl. You would find helpful info about them.
Hey, have you joined Toastmasters? I've been thinking about joining for the longest time.
Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Chinum: 12:45pm On Jun 28, 2016
Yieldings:
Hey, have you joined Toastmasters? I've been thinking about joining for the longest time.

Yes I have. I would be having my ice-breaker this weekend infact. cheesy

Please do and start sis. No time to say no time. cheesy
Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Nobody: 12:20am On Jul 01, 2016
Chinum:

Yes I have. I would be having my ice-breaker this weekend infact. cheesy

Please do and start sis. No time to say no time. cheesy

Ice-breaker at toastmasters? What's that about? Tell me more. smiley
Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Chinum: 4:07pm On Jul 01, 2016
Yieldings:

Ice-breaker at toastmasters? What's that about? Tell me more. smiley

It is your first prepared speech.
Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by whiz10(m): 5:09pm On Jul 01, 2016
when it comes to speech making, Barrack Obama is my exemplar.
Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jul 02, 2016
Chinum:

It is your first prepared speech.

shocked

Good luck. Let me know how it goes. cheesy
Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Babacele: 2:25pm On Aug 04, 2016
whiz10:
when it comes to speech making, Barrack Obama is my exemplar.
Obama is awesome and so is Bill Clinton ,Maitama Sule, Ladoke Akintola , Al Shapton, Martin Luther King Junior just to mention a few.
Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Olayinkaademan: 10:43am On Mar 12, 2020
i love Obama, King and Wiston Churchill. I want to speak like these men, in the quest to fulfill my want, I started taking private coaching classes at Fordax training academy and sincerely, my want is being fulfilled.
Babacele:
Obama is awesome and so is Bill Clinton ,Maitama Sule, Ladoke Akintola , Al Shapton, Martin Luther King Junior just to mention a few.
Re: The 5 Most Common Public Speaking Myths by Babacele: 9:58am On Mar 13, 2020
Olayinkaademan:
i love Obama, King and Wiston Churchill. I want to speak like these men, in the quest to fulfill my want, I started taking private coaching classes at Fordax training academy and sincerely, my want is being fulfilled.
... that is nice sir and more power to your elbow.

(1) (Reply)

.. / 10 Amazing Things You Won’t Believe Actually Exist In Nature / What Course Can I Study Without A "C" In Maths In My O Level In Open University?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.