Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,768 members, 7,827,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Is It A Must To Close Your Eyes While Praying - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Must To Close Your Eyes While Praying (1582 Views)

Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? / Pastor Runs Mad While Praying For Mad Man In Ibadan / Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Must To Close Your Eyes While Praying by angelking: 10:00am On May 20, 2009
hi nairalanders,

i was just wondering whether it is actually wrong(or right) to close one's eyes while praying. i grew up with the belief that it is right and i always feel guilty when my eyes are opened during prayers.

what's your take on this?
Re: Is It A Must To Close Your Eyes While Praying by dgreatrock(m): 1:14pm On May 20, 2009
1st,
i think this should be in the religion thread.

2ndly
i dont think it is a must to pray closing your eyes. your situation should determine your prayer attitude.

3rdly
it is better for me to close my eyes when praying because it helps me concentrate on the prayer thus, removing distractions
Re: Is It A Must To Close Your Eyes While Praying by dani1luv: 6:10pm On May 21, 2009
Moved to RELIGION Section
Re: Is It A Must To Close Your Eyes While Praying by pilgrim1(f): 6:18pm On May 21, 2009
dgreatrock:

1st,
i think this should be in the religion thread.

2ndly
i dont think it is a must to pray closing your eyes. your situation should determine your prayer attitude.

3rdly
it is better for me to close my eyes when praying because it helps me concentrate on the prayer thus, removing distractions

That's all. Well done. wink

@angelking,

You don't have to feel guilty, although it's great you asked to bear out your mind. Here are a few pointers that may be of help - read with discernment and see that the heart is more important than whether we close our eyes or not:

[list][li]John 17:1 - These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: [/li]

[li]Luke 18:13 - And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner[/li][/list]

Hope this helps somewhat?

Blessings.
Re: Is It A Must To Close Your Eyes While Praying by Nobody: 2:40pm On May 22, 2009
Closing your eyes is mostly to eliminate distractions. But I don't think you should feel guilty if your eyes are open when you're praying, except you're being seriously distracted by what you see. For example, I might be walking along a road and feel like saying a few words of prayer. Should I close my eyes? Definitely not. Is my prayer reaching God? Definitely.
Re: Is It A Must To Close Your Eyes While Praying by tpiah: 2:42pm On May 22, 2009
mactao:

Closing your eyes is mostly to eliminate distractions. But I don't think you should feel guilty if your eyes are open when you're praying, except you're being seriously distracted by what you see. For example, I might be walking along a road and feel like saying a few words of prayer. Should I close my eyes? Definitely not. Is my prayer reaching God? Definitely.

true.
Re: Is It A Must To Close Your Eyes While Praying by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:03pm On May 23, 2009
errrr, i thought you closed your eyes because God's presence could be so blinding, you would go blind for opening your eyes, i used to peek though. caught the pastor with his eyes opened. . what they teach kids those days grin

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria To Defeat Guinea? - Videos of prophecy - TB Joshua / Catholic Church Suggests One World Bank/one World Government/one Currency / Can We Trust The New Testament As A Historical Document?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.