Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,090 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

File Extensions! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / File Extensions! (1418 Views)

Top 5 Must Have Best Google Chrome Extensions 2014 / Urgent: Opening OperaMini OBML Format File On A PC / File Integrity Violated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

File Extensions! by jydoh(m): 9:48pm On Oct 16, 2006
Plz does any1 knw about dis file extension
.sis, .rar, & torrent files. Hw can i use dem especially .sis extensions games & themes for mobile phones.
Re: File Extensions! by jydoh(m): 9:49pm On Oct 16, 2006
.sis, .rar, & torrent files. Hw can i use dem especially .sis extensions games & themes for mobile phones.
Re: File Extensions! by jydoh(m): 9:56pm On Oct 16, 2006
.sis, .rar, & torrent files. Hw can i get & use dem, especially .sis extensions games & themes for mobile phones.Nokia 3250
Re: File Extensions! by Christino(m): 2:00am On Oct 17, 2006
You need to send the .sis file to your phone, either through bluetooth, infrared or serial port, alternatively you can download it directly to your phone over GPRS internet, that is if it is compatible with your phone.

For the .rar file, you need to unrar it with winrar or extract it with winxp, the contents if intended for your phone may be .jar or .sis, then you are back to case 1.

Once you can get them to your phone, all you need's click on them, and follow the installation procedure. Dat's all@@
Re: File Extensions! by Nobody: 5:06pm On Oct 17, 2006
The .SIS file extension is used to package installable applications for Mobile phones running the Symbian Operation System (commonly the high-end Nokia phones). They can be transferred to the phone via USB cable, Infrared or Bluetooth using the Nokia PC Suite software that comes with the phone and/or can be downloaded from the Nokia website. Installing a SIS file (after being transferred to the phone) is as simple as clicking on it, to execute the installer.

The RAR file extension is used by the WinRAR Archiver, much like winzip. Winrar is supposedly able to compress data up to 1.5 times the power of winzip. There also exists a commandline version (unrar32.exe) for those who love using the console. It is available for a variety of operating systems. You can open a RAR file with either the GUI or commandline version (note: the link points to trial versions)

The .TORRENT file extension is used by a Download Client called BitTorrrent, which enables users with slow and/or intermittent internet connections to download large files e.g. DVD videos, ISO files, game data files etc without the attendant problems of broken downloads or invalid checksum (corrupted downloads). There are a number of other clients that obey the bittorent protocol, such as BitTornado and Azureus. They work on a file-sharing principle similar to kazaa, emule, dc++ and grokster, but different in that the more files you share, the faster your downloads get - misers are punished by the system. the .TORRENT file contains metadata describing the file you want to download. The client uses this metadata to locate the file online, choose an appropriate download location(s) and monitor progress. To use a TORRENT file, simply install a Bittorent client, and then double-click on your TORRENT file to start downloading the file proper. Note that depending on your internet link speed, TORRENT downloads may take up to days at times, but you will NEVER get a corrupted download. See The bittorent homepage for more details

Hope that was helpful.
Re: File Extensions! by Hugoboi(m): 5:13pm On Oct 17, 2006
@ Gridlock

thanx for the education.They dont come easy these days
Re: File Extensions! by jydoh(m): 8:29pm On Oct 17, 2006
Thanx guys i really appreciate this gesture. Thanx a lot
Re: File Extensions! by jydoh(m): 8:38pm On Oct 17, 2006
Christino:

You need to send the .sis file to your phone, either through bluetooth, infrared or serial port, alternatively you can download it directly to your phone over GPRS internet, that is if it is compatible with your phone.

For the .rar file, you need to unrar it with winrar or extract it with winxp, the contents if intended for your phone may be .jar or .sis, then you are back to case 1.

Once you can get them to your phone, all you need's click on them, and follow the installation procedure. Dat's all@@

thanx Christino 4 dis, but where can i donwload the .sis files

Gridlock:

The .SIS file extension is used to package installable applications for Mobile phones running the Symbian Operation System (commonly the high-end Nokia phones). They can be transferred to the phone via USB cable, Infrared or Bluetooth using the Nokia PC Suite software that comes with the phone and/or can be downloaded from the Nokia website. Installing a SIS file (after being transferred to the phone) is as simple as clicking on it, to execute the installer.

The RAR file extension is used by the WinRAR Archiver, much like winzip. Winrar is supposedly able to compress data up to 1.5 times the power of winzip. There also exists a commandline version (unrar32.exe) for those who love using the console. It is available for a variety of operating systems. You can open a RAR file with either the GUI or commandline version (note: the link points to trial versions)

The .TORRENT file extension is used by a Download Client called BitTorrrent, which enables users with slow and/or intermittent internet connections to download large files e.g. DVD videos, ISO files, game data files etc without the attendant problems of broken downloads or invalid checksum (corrupted downloads). There are a number of other clients that obey the bittorent protocol, such as BitTornado and Azureus. They work on a file-sharing principle similar to kazaa, emule, dc++ and grokster, but different in that the more files you share, the faster your downloads get - misers are punished by the system. the .TORRENT file contains metadata describing the file you want to download. The client uses this metadata to locate the file online, choose an appropriate download location(s) and monitor progress. To use a TORRENT file, simply install a Bittorent client, and then double-click on your TORRENT file to start downloading the file proper. Note that depending on your internet link speed, TORRENT downloads may take up to days at times, but you will NEVER get a corrupted download. See The bittorent homepage for more details

Hope that was helpful.

thanx Gridlock 4 dis, but where can i donwload the .sis files, and also i have the bit torrent download on my system but i've being trying to download some ccna materials now but it does show up despite the torrent saying download complete.
Re: File Extensions! by Christino(m): 10:26pm On Oct 17, 2006
Go to www.getjar.com for plenty of mobile freebies.

If your phone has infrared or bluetooth, you can right click on your file and click the bluetooth device or infrared recipient under send to, but if you have Nokia PC Suite, you can install it directly into your mobile phone. Check nokia.com for the version of Suite for your phone.

I'm not into bittorents but from your explanation, the program prolly has a folder within the program files or my documents or your root folder, i wouldn't know but if you can trace the "Downloads folder" I believe your files should be there as in the Case of Kazaa.
Re: File Extensions! by Nobody: 6:35pm On Oct 18, 2006
jydoh:

thanx Gridlock 4 this, but where can i donwload the .sis files, and also i have the bit torrent download on my system but i've being trying to download some ccna materials now but it does show up despite the torrent saying download complete.

As Christino said, getJar.com has a lot of mobile software - games, applications, media players, etc in the SIS format - for Nokia Mobile phones like your 3250. But doing a general search on google for mobile phone applications should take you to a number of other sites. The stuff they offer will most likely be categorised according to mobile phone models, and if there's one for your phone, it will either be SIS or JAR. Good luck (no spoil ya phone o, read all the disclaimer notices on the site!)

As for bittorrent, Note that after you have downloaded the .TORRENT file (probably to your Desktop or My Documents or wherever), you must double-click on it. If you had previously installed the BitTorrent Client, it should load up automatically (the way Microsoft Word loads up when you click on the icon of a Word document), and ask you where you want to save the file it is about to get from the internet. You should then specify the download location (and don't forget it). If it doesnt ask you, then it means the file will be saved in the same folder/directory as the .TORRENT file or in the default download folder - you determine this by checking View -> Settings. After you click OK the download starts immediately. If you have a fast connection, the whole download process should be complete in a few hours. The BitTorrent client should display a progress bar that says " complete", or something like that. Below is/are screenshots of how bittorrent looks during a download.

(1) (Reply)

Slow Browsing: End For Starcomms? / Unlock Any Modem And Download The Calculator Here And Make Money With It. / Unlock Any Huawei Modem Here For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.