Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,392 members, 7,839,732 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

For The Professionals + Any Useful Advise: Issues With Honda - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / For The Professionals + Any Useful Advise: Issues With Honda (670 Views)

Fix Your Vehicle With The Professionals / For Sale; Acura Legend With Honda Engine For Just N200k.See pix.08023712488. / SOLD! Tokunbo 2005 Red Eod v6 With Honda Spoiler-SOLD! SOLD! SOLD! SOLD! SOLD! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For The Professionals + Any Useful Advise: Issues With Honda by Nezan(m): 4:07pm On May 20, 2009
I have issues with my Honda BabyBoy.
I have notice that on starting the car, the radiator fan doesnt rotate unless the a.c. fan if the a.c. is turned on. Though as the engine becomes hot, the radiator fan starts working. I hope this will not affect my engine since we are in the tropics-higher temperatures?
Re: For The Professionals + Any Useful Advise: Issues With Honda by promise72(m): 4:40pm On May 20, 2009
Nezan:

I have issues with my Honda BabyBoy.
I have notice that on starting the car, the radiator fan doesnt rotate unless the a.c. fan if the a.c. is turned on. Though as the engine becomes hot, the radiator fan starts working. I hope this will not affect my engine since we are in the tropics-higher temperatures?

i dont think that u have nothing to worry about. That is how it was designed. The fan is automatic. As soon as it senses that the engine needs to cool down, it kicks in. That is why it doesnt do that in the morning when u start the car.

It works in conjuction with engine temperature. When temp goes up, it starts to cool the engine and doesn't when its not needed.

Good luck.
Re: For The Professionals + Any Useful Advise: Issues With Honda by Midas02(m): 9:10pm On May 20, 2009
It is working the way it is supposed to. As @Promise72 said, your car has a 'Thermostat' that measures the engine temperature and only kicks on the fan when the engine temperature rises to the preset degree.

The fan 'Thermostat' get overided when you turn on your A/C, that is why it works when you turn on the A/C. This is so because the use of A/C requires the condenser (which is in front of the radiator) to be cooled and this means both fans have to work to blow cool air through both the radiator and the condenser.

I advise you to relax. Your car seems to be performing ok and don't let any slowpoke mechanic "work a useless solution" for you and ruin your car.
Re: For The Professionals + Any Useful Advise: Issues With Honda by sultaan(m): 9:53pm On May 20, 2009
I am no expert.

I think here is how it works;

There is a thermostat between your engine and radiator and sometimes 2 temp sensors, 1 between engine and thermostat,i.e hot coolant flows from engine to sensor to thermostat to radiator back into engine.

When you start a cold engine it heats up coolant till it gets to temp of thermostat rating i.e if your thermostat is rated 185degF  it will stay closed.When coolant gets hotter than 185, it will open open and  let coolant got to radiator to be cooled down.

The one between engine and radiator is one you see on dashboard, and goes to the cars computer to trigger cooling fan, and O2 sensor.
When coolant gets back to sensor less than set point fan stops, and thermostat may close depending how cold coolant is.
When you are driving thermostat may stay open, but air going through radiator fin might be enough to cool it down so fan won't come on.
When you turn on AC, condenser needs to be cooled down(small radiator, to cool down refrigerant), some also have radiator for transmission fluid

The problem start when people remove thermostat because engine overheat which could have been caused by dirty raidator fins(air not flowing through), air bubble in system, or clogged pipes in radiator(dirt/rust impeding flow).

I hope that helps.
Re: For The Professionals + Any Useful Advise: Issues With Honda by kablooee: 11:08pm On May 20, 2009
My only advice for you is not to allow those local so called auto electrician convince you to remove the thermostat.
Re: For The Professionals + Any Useful Advise: Issues With Honda by Nezan(m): 9:47am On May 21, 2009
I appreciate all your contributions, dat is why I like NairaLand.
Actually my mechanic was advising me to remove the thermostat but I decided to bring it up on NairaLand before I do something stupid. Now Iam wiser, thanks to NairaLand!!!!!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

topic closed / Free Vin Reports For Cars Advertized In This Section Only / Some Of Classy Beatles Songs Sources For Real Fans To Discuss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.