Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

Is OAU Still African Most Beautiful Campus? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is OAU Still African Most Beautiful Campus? (1250 Views)

Is Oau Admission List Out On Caps / Welcome To FUNAAB, One Of The Most Beautiful Campus In Nigeria / Ayobami Taofeek Salami Is OAU Vice-Chancellor Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is OAU Still African Most Beautiful Campus? by Fynestboi: 7:38am On Nov 18, 2015
Is OAU STILL AFRICAN MOST BEAUTIFUL CAMPUS?

"That it has always been the case does not presuppose that there can neither be changes to it nor adjustments".

What we students are known for is our swift recognition of the management's fault but we most times find it hard to point at our own wrong which I believe it's contribution to the state of this great citadel is of remark, and the few critics that could put their pen to paper to call to order Student's nonchalant and degrading attitude, such critics seldom get painted with several names like "attention-seeker" "popularity seeker" "fake-account", but in a case whereby the management is being criticized, such name calling is limited, are we then saying that it's only the management that wears the chain that produces nonchalant attitude ray?. Towards the end of 2014/2015 harmattan semester, I put my pen to paper to discourage the rate at which students defame the dignity of "SAN SIRO " in Awolowo Hall at the back of block 3 adjacent to self help, but what was the feedback I got? So disappointing and unbelievable that some learned students would not be able to reason out that perching on the San- SIRO grass to excrete speaks volume of how intellectually slacking and how dirty we are, but derive pleasure in throwing back jibes at the person trying to discourage such act and as such fail to desist from continually defaming the dignity of the field, and such set are quick to point out errors in management ordeals. *I laugh*

However, my own is to pen down matters I feel needs to be critically examined as an ethicist and yours is to reason it out and rationally take the befitting path, that's concomitant with the motto of Obafemi Awolowo University "for learning and culture" and our rating intellectually.

I laugh anytime I read or listen to our great ife anthem, the aspect that do put me in such state is "African most beautiful campus" the question that makes me laugh is, is this campus still beautiful? Or in the actual fact we are dwelling and boasting in past glory? Like my friends on nairaland do comment, "Is the structure that depicts 'spider' really still 'spider'? Our beautifully constructed buildings are they still beautiful and befitting?
While surfing the net I stumbled on pictures that showed the old pictures of buildings like (Ajose, Spider, Educational building, Faculty of Law etc), even before choosing OAU as a preferable institution of study, the sight of these pictures will raise your desire to pay Obafemi Awolowo University a visit in order to behold the beauty that this picture exemplified, but what do you get to see when you eventually land on Obafemi Awolowo University campus to perceive this beauty? Rotten, cracked and sickening buildings, walls redesigned with posters, walkway reconstruct to board for pasting campaign names, staircase refurbished to advertising boards, these and many more are what "used to be" African most beautiful campus have been turned to. The question then is

Who is entitled to wear the garment of blame? Student or the management?
Emphatically I will say both! The management though do not take into cognizance Student's welfare and as such leaving all the "used to be" beautiful building rotten and unappealing to our sight, leaving them unpainted, but instead of we student to stand up against this and compel the management to renovate broken chairs in our lecture halls, repaint faded lecture halls and building that gives Obafemi Awolowo University that glory of being the most beautiful campus in Africa, we fail to do so, but derive pleasure in assisting the management to deface the beauty of Obafemi Awolowo University campus. #So pathetic#
How? I want to believe we have spots and reserved boards where we can put up posters, to advertise whatever we want to put up, putting them up in our hostels is a bit secretive but that as well needs to be adjusted and properly done, but we do see those reserved space and spots as insufficient to pass across the message on our poster but walls where it is boldly written "POST NO BILL" are where we feel will put across our message to the audience. Hell no, with these we are no different from the the management that left our buildings unattended to, we are no different from our management that see no reason to repaint and reconstruct our "godforsaken" buildings, yes we are not different from the management if we continue to deface the beauty of this campus most especially "academics area" because this area is where a visitor steps feet on before moving to our hostels, but when a visitor walks in and sees posters being glued to walking path, staircases , poles, walls, and other unreasonable spot or path, then you leave the visitor no doubt of committing hasty generalization,and if we fail to change we are nothing than management apprentice in the course of poor structure, rotten and cracked buildings How? . The management fails to repaint these buildings and instead of we standing against the management we decided to help the management "repaint " the walls with posters. So #degrading#

I am not trying to exempt myself from this degrading and shameless act, neither am I trying to paint myself holy or being a righteous student on this campus because I am also a student but I believe we can change and adjust the way we put up posters and banners on walls, and that of pathways and staircases, For me, it is unreasonable for a man embedded with rationality to put up such act, and to the way we post banners and ads in our hostels can as well be adjusted because putting posters on where hostels block indicators are boldly written do not speak well of us, putting adverts on walls, walk path should be discouraged . If this is done then together with one voice we can stand up against the management to return that part of our anthem "African most beautiful campus".
I thereby pray the Union leaders to see to this degrading act and farm out ways to curb this degrading act, because I believe that it has always been the case does not imply that it can not be either change or adjusted.

#KEEP OAU CLEAN#
#Paste no poster on pathways, walls and staircases#

©FYNESTBOI
Re: Is OAU Still African Most Beautiful Campus? by Aminat508(f): 7:39am On Nov 18, 2015
OBA AWON UNIVERSITY
Re: Is OAU Still African Most Beautiful Campus? by icelord(m): 7:51am On Nov 18, 2015
Na so
Re: Is OAU Still African Most Beautiful Campus? by temitope23(m): 8:56am On Nov 18, 2015
Re: Is OAU Still African Most Beautiful Campus? by christejames(m): 10:35am On Nov 18, 2015
OAU has lost that title of most beautiful campus... If you ask me, I think the current most beautiful campus is UNN, the way the school management is erecting beautiful structures and landscaping is commendable, with refurbished laboratories and classrooms (with soothing chairs for students comfort and electronic board), the most important is the alliance between the school and a facility management company for taking care of the school's facilities and campus precincts... I think ABU is also commendable!

(1) (Reply)

10 Truly Creepy Demonic Hauntings. / UNIUYO 2016/2017 Post-utme Admission Screening Form, Cutoff Mark Out / How To Turn Plastic To Diesel, Kerosene And Petrol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.