Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time (2638 Views)

Venus Jupiter Conjunction 2017: The Planets Will Rise As One On Monday / What Will The Sky Look Like If Planets Were As Close To Us As The Moon? / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Brainaic(m): 6:12pm On Nov 19, 2015
For the first time, astronomers were able to catch the formation of a
planetary system. The paper, published in Nature, suggests that the
observed objects are infant planets, currently being pieced together
by extremely hot gas and dust.

Using images of the system taken between 2009 to 2015, the team
was able to identify two protoplanets – small objects that go on to
form planets – alongside a potential third, moving around the star
LkCa 15 in an elliptical orbit, as it is expected of planets.

Detecting planets forming is a complex task. Newborn stellar
systems are usually enshrouded in a cloud of dust that muddies our
view, making normal detection methods unsuitable. The team
therefore had to develop a different approach to study the system.
Young stars produce large disks of material from which planets form.

As growing planets move through this protoplanetary disk, they
create gaps in the swirling debris, which astronomers can detect
using infrared light. Several protoplanet candidates were discovered
this way.

Planets undergoing formation increase in size thanks to the smaller
disks of material, similar to the ones around stars, that form around
them. As material from this circumplanetary disk falls on the planet,
it gets hotter which makes the planet appear redder than it actually
is, and visible to us in infrared.

The planet's magnetic field might also affect the disk of dust and
gas surrounding it. A strong magnetic field forces the material in the
disk to follow specific orbits. The energy generated within the disk
heats up the magnetosphere of the planet to a temperature higher
than the surface of the Sun, and the heated material produces a
specific emission called hydrogen-alpha.
The team combined observations in infrared from the Large Binocular
Telescope , with hydrogen-alpha analysis by the Magellan Telescope.

The gap around LkCa 15 was first observed in 2011, which indicated
the potential for the star to host at least one exoplanet. For this latest
study, the team was able to identify hot gas (9,700°C [17,500 °F])
falling onto the closer planet LkCa 15b. Looking at the data from the
system, scientists realized there were other emissions in the gap:
One signal was recognized as a second planet after being observed
several times. A third emission is thought to be another planet but is
yet to be confirmed.

"Observing emission lines such as H-alpha is a powerful tool for
tracing accretion onto protoplanets directly. I think this technique will
be very useful for finding protoplanets around other stars as well."
Steph Sallum, lead author of the study, told IFL Science
This discovery and the success of this technique provides new
opportunities to study how planetary systems form and how young
planets interact with the disk of material around the star.

http://www.iflscience.com/space/witnessing-birth-planets-0

Below is an artistic impression in a transmission disk like LkCa 15.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by menesheh(m): 6:26pm On Nov 19, 2015
Amazing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Fynpatra(f): 6:46pm On Nov 19, 2015
Wonderful
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Brainaic(m): 6:46pm On Nov 19, 2015
menesheh:
Amazing
I tell you. I wonder what the creationists have to say.
Cc: Johnydon22 Hahn Platteon SonOflucifer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by johnydon22(m): 6:55pm On Nov 19, 2015
Brainaic:

Cc: Johnydon22
Hahn
Platteon
SonOflucifer

I am here sir to answer your call. . . It is breathe taking and it is wonderful... What we can unravel in this universe if only we can drop our assumptions and take a peek into the void to what it can teach us.

This development have confirmed my position always when i discuss with people.

"Always agree you don't know when you lack knowledge and then strive to know through consistent study and observation.."

Now man is getting first hand the picture of how planets formed, now we have through consistent study and observation unravelled that knowledge..

Oh what this universe can teach us if only we can open up to it to teach us..

If only we could drop our assumptions and unfounded beliefs and follow the evidence where ever it leads us with humility and openness of heart, hunger to know and curiosity . . . What a much nobler cause that will be...

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by johnydon22(m): 7:07pm On Nov 19, 2015
menesheh:
Amazing

You said it bro. . . It is amazing . . Lalasticlala and seun can we see this to the promise land?

Brainiac fix the picture please, download it from the site and upload just like a normal picture.. to throw more colours to the post..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Brainaic(m): 7:15pm On Nov 19, 2015
johnydon22:

I am here sir to answer your call. . . It is breathe taking and it is wonderful... What we can unravel in this universe if only we can drop our assumptions and take a peek into the void to what it can teach us.

"Always agree you don't know when you lack knowledge and then strive to know through consistent study and observation.."

Now man is getting first hand the picture of how planets formed, now we have through consistent study and observation unravelled that knowledge..

If only we could drop our assumptions and unfounded beliefs and follow the evidence where ever it leads us with humility and openness of heart, hunger to know and curiosity . . . What a much nobler cause that will be...

You're right, Sir. There's so much to explore and discover in the Universe, it's only a matter of time.

I hope Lalasticlala sends this to the homepage.
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Brainaic(m): 7:46pm On Nov 19, 2015
johnydon22:

You said it bro. . . It is amazing . . Lalasticlala and seun can we see this to the promise land?

Brainiac fix the picture please, download it from the site and upload just like a normal picture.. to throw more colours to the post..

Done that.
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by johnydon22(m): 7:55pm On Nov 19, 2015
Brainaic:

Done that.
You are good bro..
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 19, 2015
Glory
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by menesheh(m): 9:42pm On Nov 19, 2015
Brainaic:

Cc: Johnydon22
Hahn
Platteon
SonOflucifer

Other stars do form on their own but planet earth was moulded by many gods. Can't you understand the simple equation.
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Brainaic(m): 9:47pm On Nov 19, 2015
menesheh:

Other stars do form on their own but planet earth was moulded by many gods. Can't you understand the simple equation.

Which gods? Can you name them?
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by menesheh(m): 9:52pm On Nov 19, 2015
johnydon22:

But the witnessed birth of the new star will be so miniature because of the time frame scientists have been observed it( pictures taken btw 2009 to 2015). I tot the birth of new stars do take some millions if not billions of years
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by menesheh(m): 9:54pm On Nov 19, 2015
Brainaic:

Which gods? Can you name them?

Zeus, yahweh, allah, leprechaun, and too many of them.
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by herald9: 9:54pm On Nov 19, 2015
johnydon22:

Does this confirm the big bang theory?
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Brainaic(m): 10:27pm On Nov 19, 2015
menesheh:

Zeus, yahweh, allah, leprechaun, and too many of them.
Lool.. Nice joke
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Brainaic(m): 10:30pm On Nov 19, 2015
menesheh:

But the witnessed birth of the new star will be so miniature because of the time frame scientists have been observed it( pictures taken btw 2009 to 2015). I tot the birth of new stars do take some millions if not billions of years

The Star, LkCa 15 is 2 million years old. What the scientists witnessed is the formation of a new planet, LkCa 15 from the star.
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by johnydon22(m): 10:34pm On Nov 19, 2015
menesheh:

Yes that's why its called Protoplanet but i don't think it takes billions of years. . They are still in formation and their parent star is still a very young star perhaps some millions of years old.

This is the action of Gravity on Matter which defines the very cause and effect of almost every observable action in our observable universe..

The planets will accumulate more materials within period of time and gets bigger and denser ... These are more like Infants.

i.e: remember we are looking back in time considering the amount of time light from these distant points takes to reach us..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by johnydon22(m): 10:39pm On Nov 19, 2015
herald9:

Does this confirm the big bang theory?

Edwin Hubble provided Proof for the Big bang propounded by Rev Fr Georges Lamitre..

Hubble confirmed the universe was actually expanding. space and time itself is expanding like a fabric and so all the matters on it goes along with it. . . The point or singularity where this expansion began is what science call BIG BANG..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by johnydon22(m): 10:42pm On Nov 19, 2015
menesheh:

And man thinks he is the center of the universe, having a personal relationship with the creator(s) of the universe and kill each other over who got the right creator(s)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by herald9: 11:04pm On Nov 19, 2015
johnydon22:

Edwin Hubble provided Proof for the Big bang propounded by Rev Fr Georges Lamitre..

Hubble confirmed the universe was actually expanding. space and time itself is expanding like a fabric and so all the matters on it goes along with it. . . The point or singularity where this expansion began is what science call BIG BANG..
Yea. Knew this. The major flaw of the theory was were the cloud of gas and dust came from.... No answer yet, right?

1 Like

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by johnydon22(m): 11:17pm On Nov 19, 2015
herald9:

Yea. Knew this. The major flaw of the theory was were the cloud of gas and dust came from.... No answer yet, right?

As a matter of fact the theory always accounted for such. . . According to the theory (Not Johnydon22) There was something like a rapid inflation of the singularity before the expansion began.

And afterwards the newly born Universe cooled and sub-atomic particles and then normal atoms formed (From whence you get matter **The dust and gas you pointed out) which in turn through gravity formed into stars and galaxies ...

Man have no idea what Dark energy or Dark matters are yet, that knowledge might redefine what we think we know anytime soon..

1 Like

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by johnydon22(m): 11:32am On Nov 20, 2015
Brainaic:

Lool.. Nice joke

It wasn't a joke actually any believer of a religion would come here to argue that a kind of deity spoke the earth into existence.

Some would even assert the earth was created before it's parent star (sun) which is a very absurd notion.

Man is ascertaining through study the actual events in planetary formations which is exactly the same phase EARTH passed through in it's formation but people think the earth popped out magically when a deity spoke to himself and then the sun was created 4 days later..

Not only is it ridiculous, it is embarrasing

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 20, 2015
what's actually shocking about all of this is, at this current moment, those planets are at least several thousand years old. shocked and any intelligent life on it might be arguing that they were created by God. grin

i just keep wondering if any alien civilizations witnessed the formation of our planets. they could just travel over and show us. embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by hahn(m): 11:41pm On Nov 20, 2015
Wow! This is beautiful and of course it is certain that there is still much we have to learn about the universe.

As long as humans don't succeed in destroying themselves first out of our ignorance undecided
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Nmeri17: 9:52am On Nov 21, 2015
menesheh:

wrong! God is still busy. The development timeline is infinite and is independent of any man's scrutiny. The fact that we witnessed this planet's birth does not in any way imply it is happenstance.
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by menesheh(m): 10:00am On Nov 21, 2015
Nmeri17:
wrong! God is still busy. The development timeline is infinite and is independent of any man's scrutiny. The fact that we witnessed this planet's birth does not in any way imply it is a chance occurrence.

Where is your research paper with valid data to affirm to such god being very busy forming new planetary bodies. If you can't provide prove of such postulation, it will clearly be an autosuggestion of which i have no fvck to do with such.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Nmeri17: 10:01am On Nov 21, 2015
johnydon22:

There was something like a rapid inflation of the singularity before the expansion began.
And you don't think this seemingly elusive "something" you have so blatantly refused to acknowledge is God -- like, GOD in block letters??
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Brainaic(m): 11:14am On Nov 21, 2015
Nmeri17:
And you don't think this seemingly elusive "something" you have so blatantly refused to acknowledge is God -- like, GOD in block letters??

Which of them? This is the exact problem with theist. Once they don't understand something they attribute it to 'God'. What a closed and myopic way of reasoning! Pray tell me how did you come to the conclusion that it was 'God'?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by hahn(m): 11:34am On Nov 21, 2015
Nmeri17:

Which "GOD" are you referring to?
Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by johnydon22(m): 3:02pm On Nov 21, 2015
Nmeri17:

I don't know what is wrong with you people, whether you all read at all or just see GOD in block letters in everything you read because i am sure i mentioned that the "Something" was a RAPID INFLATION in block letters and not some weird entity.... Read a post next time before replying

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientists Witnessed The Birth Of Planets For The First Time by Nmeri17: 3:27pm On Nov 21, 2015
menesheh:

Where is your research paper with valid data to affirm to such god being very busy forming new planetary bodies. If you can't provide prove of such postulation, it will clearly be an autosuggestion of which i have no fvck to do with such.

hahn:

Which "GOD" are you referring to?

johnydon22:

I don't know what is wrong with you people, whether you all read at all or just see GOD in block letters in everything you read because i am sure i mentioned that the "Something" was a RAPID INFLATION in block letters and not some weird entity.... Read a post next time before replying

Brainaic:

Which of them? This is the exact problem with theist. Once they don't understand something they attribute it to 'God'. What a closed and myopic way of reasoning! Pray tell me how did you come to the conclusion that it was 'God'?

lol. calm your tittties fam. smiley I'd love to think that on the front line of the battle of advantages with eras preceding ours, the most lethal weapon in the armoury of the 21st century man, is his open mindedness. But sadly, very few are really making commendable use of such a powerful tool. I simply mentioned God and you're all going bonkers about me 'attributing something I don't understand to God.'

Actually, I do believe in God (or whatever name you choose to call the superior and unfathomably advanced intelligence responsible for what we know today as nature) and at the same time, I'm just as much an evolutionary theorist as yourselves.

You don't simply rule out the existence of things you do not know just because they go over your head. But would you open minded enough to see things from my perspective?? See it this way: God built the observable (and non observable) universe -- literally. You don't expect Him to have carried those rocks that constituted the big bang theory manually like a bricklayer from point A to point B. He, from the omnipresent standpoint, did the background work and set these things in motion which we uncover today and study as the origin of the universe. The other universes are most likely earlier workbenches.

Recently I was quite fortunate to come across this eye opening mind opening article on the timeline of events
http://www.bbc.com/earth/bespoke/story/20150123-earths-25-biggest-turning-points/index.html

These things weren't merely happening on their own; it was someone working. Why not look at it this way??

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Connect 2 Dstv Decoders For Extraview / Niit Sucks - King Of Frauds / How To Keep Your Glo Line From Being Blocked While Not In Use For Long Period

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.