Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

Top Eight Naija Debut Albums Of The 2000s - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Top Eight Naija Debut Albums Of The 2000s (912 Views)

7 Most Anticipated Debut Albums In 2018 / Seven Most Anticipated Albums Of 2017 / The 10 Best Nigerian Albums Of 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Top Eight Naija Debut Albums Of The 2000s by nanaboi(m): 1:19am On Nov 20, 2015
Debut albums are supposed to be statement makers, introducing an artiste properly to the fans. Even with artistes who achieve fame before their debut album, there is no overstating the power of that full album which tells fans whether or not the released single(s) was a flash in the pan. Some artistes, however, have made more than just introductory statements with their debut album. They kicked down the damn doors, torched our hearts and have remained relevant since then. Here are some of those fire first albums.

I will only be considering secular debut albums that had al or most of Naija strongly hooked on at least three major hits off of it and released by artistes still very relevant to this day. Much as I love and still enjoy listening to Faze Alone, Expression and Greenland by Faze, TY Bello and Styl-Plus respectively, they don't make this list either based on the criteria of number of hits or artiste relevance to date. Also, the list will focus on albums with songs that at least have good chords and fair melodies rather than insanely hilarious songs with off-key singing. So Sky-B, for instance, might make a different kind of list; not this one. Ok, enough preamble. Here goes:

Number 8. P-Square's Last Nite (2003):

Whether you thought of them as those Usher look-alikes or those masters of the art of copying American artistes' melodies and choreography, the fact remains that you thought of the dancing duo of Peter and Paul in 2003 if you were in Nigeria. Their videos contributed greatly to their fame. They put in some effort in trying to bring a piece of American R&B/Pop music video culture home in Senorita and Igbedu. Thankfully, they wondered whether rap na by force like we did and decided against torturing us with rap attempts in the future. Anyway, ever since that grand introduction, which included the Marvin Gaye-meets-R.Kelly inspired title track, they have grown progressively bigger and a lot more original too. Love it or hate it, this album has a significant spot in the history of Naija music.

Number 7. Timaya's True Story (2007):

This is one of those albums that the streets promoted. South-South couldn't monopolise this son of theirs. Every street wanted a piece, even if they couldn't really relate to the plight of the South-South creek residents his album advocated for, or was it wailed on behalf of? Anyway, in far away North-East of Nigeria, Dem Mama was getting killed too. Churches were brandishing their Ogologo Mma Agha. Kids were crooning to the title track. All the bad-chelors, Timaya/ All the good-chelors, Timaya - (I honestly used to sing that). Anyway, 10 tracks - that's all it took to learn his name and never forget.

Number 6. D'Banj's No Long Thing (2005):
This Mo Hits' records artiste's debut album was a 12-track redefinition of Afro pop culture. This album spawned the monster hit, Tongolo, which introduced the koko slang to Nigerian pidgin vocabulary. At first a metaphor for penis, koko expanded its meaning to include the crux of any matter. Other vocabs popularised by this album include "no long tin", and the signature "file!" - /fi:lə/. Other significant tracks on the album are Socor and Mobolowowon. I probably speak for a lot of Nigerians when I say that we miss this version of D'Banj today.

Number 5. Wande Coal's Mushin 2 Mo Hits (2008):
After his introduction to us in the Mo Hits All-star album, Curriculum Vitae, some of us knew to watch out for this high pitched voice and boy were we glad we did! Wande Coal utilised Don Jazzy's creative beats in an unprecedented way, harmonising beautifully in a manner parallel, perhaps, only to genuine R&B influenced talents such as the Plantashun Boiz. The result was a résumé of hits - Bumper 2 Bumper, You bad, Kiss Your Hand and the unforgettable mid tempo Ololufe. You really didn't want to skip a track. This black diamond made a remarkable journey from the streets of Mushin through Mo Hits to where he is now. Our parties and playlists have the track records of that journey.

Number 4. Lagbaja's We (2000):

While Sisqo was unleashing the dragon on the US, we were meeting Lagbaja down down down - Konko Below. That album played a huge part in redefining the quality of sound expected of songs in the Nigerian music industry. It made proper use of the vocoder effect on Gra Gra and it wasn't annoying like many other attempts by artistes at the time. Talk about a proper fusion of pop influence and good old gangan, this album was a street party that crushed South-Western borders. I doubt there was a tribe in the country that didn't groove to this album. No matter your tribe, the beat found you and you couldn't say Lagbaja had Nothing For You. No, not that year.

Number 3. Asa's Asa (2008):

There is a bit of controversy about this one as regards whether or not it is her actual first album. Asa's social media maintains this is the case even though there are relatively less known songs that predate this album which point to the contrary. However, since this is officially referred to as her first album by her promoters, we will treat it that way. This eponymous album was explosive without the acquisitiveness of regular commercial successes in the Naija music industry. Jailer didn't inspire dance, nor did Bibanke, Subway and Eye Adaba. Nope. No One Knows, which was used as soundtrack in an episode of the American TV series, Privileged, may have stirred the break dance spirit in you a little bit but there was more to the track than the scratch effect. There was just so much more about this album. And three studio albums later, we're still admiring the big picture she began creating with this album.

Number 2. M.I.'s Talk About It (2008):

This rap album shut down that year in December. Rap albums had never caused as much rave as M.I.'s Talk About It did in 2008. The fact that the lyrics were mostly in English and Pidgin made it easier to relate to whatever your ethnic tribe or even social class. This album is the inspiration for a lot of things - some people's decision to pursue a career in music, maybe - including this entire article. The album was probably the first to be a status symbol amongst Nigerian undergrads with discerning auditory senses. It was that album that you proudly included on your playlist alongside Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III, Rick Ross's Trilla, TI's Paper Trail or Kanye West's 808's and Hearbreak because it could hold its own. MTV African Music Awards of 2009 seemed to think so too. This Short Black Boy changed the game from his first single, Safe. And if you ever wondered "who do this beat" whilst listening, be sure his hands were in it as well. He said Talk About It and, frankly, we still do.

Number 1. 2Face's Face 2 Face (2004):

This is the one album I didn't have to Google anything to confirm the release date. Even though I lost my beloved grandma in that same year, I remember the year more for this album from the Plantashun Boiz lead singer, 2Face Idibia aka. 2Baba. If other African countries knew only two musicians from Nigeria around this period, they were probably Fela and 2Face. If we had durable charts of good repute, this album would have probably topped them all. And if we didn't have to contend with piracy, this album would probably have one of those record setting sale figures comparable to the greats of the American pop music history. With a population well over a hundred million as at then, this album would most likely have sold at least 5 million copies in Nigeria alone. African Queen, the most successful single of the album, changed the perception of Nigerian music forever, appearing in the movie, Phat Girlz, and earning him a MOBO amongst other awards. This album was an earthquake. Trying to list the hits would be akin to reproducing the album tracklist. Anyway, most worthy of mention are Nfana Ibaga(No Problem), Ole (Thief), Right Here and Keep On Rockin'.

Can you think of any other debut albums that made as much impact with more songs than 2? Feel free to share. Cheers.

***Nuel*
Re: Top Eight Naija Debut Albums Of The 2000s by richie44(m): 3:09am On Nov 20, 2015
bam na true

Re: Top Eight Naija Debut Albums Of The 2000s by bashbilly(m): 3:20am On Nov 20, 2015
niz work o.p

(1) (Reply)

Iceprince Accused Of Copying Olamide’s Abule Sowo (pictures) / Zoro – Ogene (remix) Ft. Flavour, Lil Kesh & Ycee / VIRAL MUSIC!! Jump On It...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.