Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,306 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen (1343 Views)

50 Reasons Why Yoruba Never Had An Empire But Civilized By Benin / Why Are Some White People Hell Bent On Denying Leo Africanus Visit To Hausaland / Leo Africanus Description Of The Great Hausa City Of Kano In 15th Century (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen by kaura5000: 4:40am On Nov 20, 2015
Has anyone read about leo africanus book the description of africa to shed more light about his visit to timbuktu, kano, katsina,borno, nubia, zamfara and gobir.. and how he describes each place
Re: So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen by Nobody: 5:34pm On Nov 22, 2015
a
Re: So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 23, 2015
Yuuuuup!

That we were, that we are.

The pride of the sahel.

Proudly hausa!!!!
Re: So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 23, 2015
Dnacode:
Let me just pity you and reply since am d only one here;
"I get am BEFORE no be am".
Hausa are on a long thing.

Mo.ron
Re: So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 23, 2015
Leo Africanus' description of Kano:

"The great province of Cano standeth eastward of the river Niger almost five hundred miles. The greatest part of the inhabitants dwelling in villages are some of them herdsmen and others husbandmen. Here groweth abundance of corne, of rice, and of cotton. Also here are many deserts and wilde woodie mountaines containing many springs of water. In these woods growe plentie of wilde citrons and limons, which differ not much in taste from the best of all. In the midst of this province standeth a towne called by the same name, the walles and houses whereof are built for the most part of a kind of chalke. The inhabitants are rich merchants and most civil people. Their king was in times past of great puissance, and had mighty troupes of horsemen at his command; but he hath since beene constrained to pay tribute unto the kings of Zegzeg (Zaria) and Casena (Katsina). Afterwarde Ischia (Askiya) the king of Tombuto (Timbuktu) faining friendship unto the two foresaid kings trecherously slew them both. And then he waged warre against the king of Cano, whom after a long siege he tooke, and compelled him to marie one of his daughters, restoring him againe to his kingdome, conditionally that he should pay unto him the third part of his tribute: and the said king of Tombuto hath some of his courtiers perpetually residing at Cano for the receit thereof.
Re: So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 23, 2015
Radoillo:
Leo Africanus' description of Kano:

"The great province of Cano standeth eastward of the river Niger almost five hundred miles. The greatest part of the inhabitants dwelling in villages are some of them herdsmen and others husbandmen. Here groweth abundance of corne, of rice, and of cotton. Also here are many deserts and wilde woodie mountaines containing many springs of water. In these woods growe plentie of wilde citrons and limons, which differ not much in taste from the best of all. In the midst of this province standeth a towne called by the same name, the walles and houses whereof are built for the most part of a kind of chalke. The inhabitants are rich merchants and most civil people. Their king was in times past of great puissance, and had mighty troupes of horsemen at his command; but he hath since beene constrained to pay tribute unto the kings of Zegzeg (Zaria) and Casena (Katsina). Afterwarde Ischia (Askiya) the king of Tombuto (Timbuktu) faining friendship unto the two foresaid kings trecherously slew them both. And then he waged warre against the king of Cano, whom after a long siege he tooke, and compelled him to marie one of his daughters, restoring him againe to his kingdome, conditionally that he should pay unto him the third part of his tribute: and the said king of Tombuto hath some of his courtiers perpetually residing at Cano for the receit thereof.

Do you have the rest?
Re: So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 23, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

Do you have the rest?

The rest of the book? Nah! Just two excerpts from this book I own. The other excerpt is about the Kingdom of Gobir. I posted that too, but antispam bot hid it.
Re: So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen by stonemasonn: 9:57pm On Nov 23, 2015
The Hausa culture and tradition has been usurped by Islam and the Fulanis.
Re: So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen by Nobody: 11:17pm On Nov 23, 2015
RadoilloII:

The rest of the book? Nah! Just two excerpts from this book I own. The other excerpt is about the Kingdom of Gobir. I posted that too, but antispam bot hid it.

I was talking about the whole description of Hausa states but okay.
Re: So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen by Nobody: 3:47am On Nov 24, 2015
Loool! Funny how hausa states used to wage wars between each other! Why won't outsiders like Timbuktu try to subdue us.
Re: So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen by absoluteSuccess: 8:34am On Nov 24, 2015
Blessed Radoillo,

thank you for that piece of antique, people have dry sense of appreciation in our part of the world, hence they hardly value a piece of excellence in their face, they would become your enemy than your acquaintance.

this thread is quite- essential and what an excellent piece you've dropped! We must always appreciate scarce resource and personel.

We already have enough mediocrity, although people will relate to weakness and mediocrity before they relate to excellence.

dont stop being a rare gem, you have a very regal turn of mind. I hope to be like you some day, my brother. Onward African child, onward. Onward Ebony scholar, onward.

summary: I'm proud of you, radoillo. You are very versed and always in season.

You can defend any of Nigerian culture wherever you find yourself, kudos.

1 Like

Re: So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen by Nobody: 8:37am On Nov 24, 2015
History is my mistress, and I am a passionate lover. cheesy
Re: So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 24, 2015
stonemasonn:
The Hausa culture and tradition has been usurped by Islam and the Fulanis.

You my friend are a nincompoop. What part of Hausa culture today is of Islamic or Fulbe origin. Imbe.cile

(1) (Reply)

In What Language Do You Think / Ashamed Of Skin Color / What’s The Myth With MBAISE People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.