Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,426 members, 7,822,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Unizik's Great BLUNDER To CORP MEMBERS - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Unizik's Great BLUNDER To CORP MEMBERS (1387 Views)

Millions Govt Promise To Corp Member / Advice To Corp Members.... / Exclusively To Corp Members And Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unizik's Great BLUNDER To CORP MEMBERS by annonymida: 7:49am On Nov 23, 2015
Apologies for all blunders, typos and incoherent arrangements in this write up.

I'm deeply troubled as i type this. I'm privileged to be among the batch B corp members that passed out from UMUNYA orientation camp, ANAMBRA STATE last monday.
My story!!
So...after enduring 5 uneasy years in the university, i got posted to Anambra state. I accepted my lot in good fate and set out for eastern Nigeria as i thought " shebi na to serve my fatherland, no P."
I managed to come out of my university with a first class in my discipline. Not long afterwards,i got to know NYSC just started the "first class students will serve in the university thingy.". I was very happy not knowing my "firstclass" would take its toll on me.

Fastforward to d orientatation camp. All corps member endured the compulsory 21days drill coupled with snake frights (they dont kill snakes) and grievous bodily harm caused by skirt n blouse insects. On the POP day, my friends and foes were filled with awe, jealousy, joy etc when they discovered i was posted to the capital to serve at Nnamdi Azikiwe University cos only a few got posted there (abou 34 out of 2000+ corpers) as most of them were posted to villages and various secondary schools.

THE PROBLEM
I believe passing through a university aint a small thing so even a graduate with the least grade should be accorded his due respects.
Accomodation is very expensive at Awka. It beats my imagination to know that UNIZIK offers no accomodation to corps members. For God's sake, the closest hostel to school costs between 120-150k a year plus daily #60-80 intra-university transport cost i.e #28800 on transport a year.Not every body can afford that. Hostels situated a bit further from school costs around 60-70k plus a daily transport cost of #200. Do the maths, that is #72k a year on transport alone.
Universities should be responsible enough to cherish and compensate first class corpers and all other degree holders (shout out to 2.1, 2.2 n 3rd class students) with accomodation and other neccesities or calmly decline the use of corp members if they are financially or psyco-socially bankrupt or inept.
A few of my colleagues (2.1graduates) were lucky enough to be accepted in some private secondary schools with an automatic accomodation. Now that is what i call VALUE!!!!.
This is a big SHAME and SLAP to the management of NNAMDI AZIKIWE UNIVERSITY, AWKA,ANAMBRA STATE. The school should learn from the likes of OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY, C.U e.t.c
Serving in the universities should COMPENSATE first class students not FRUSTRATE them.
We have come to SERVE our FATHERLAND so STOP MAKING IT DIFFICULT FOR US!!!!!!!""

MY STANCE
We've all come to serve our fatherland, thus NYSC should be Responsible enough to care for its corps members. NYSC should encourage savings not EXPENDITURES!!!!!
I wann use this medium to please call on the President Muhamadu Buhari and NYSC to intervene in this matter.

Lalasticlala: pls i'm begging, not for front page but that you or other moderators let this write up hit FP so as to awaken those slumbering at the helm of affairs In ANAMBRA state.
God bless NIGERIA!
God bless NYSC!!
God bless ALL and NON-DEGREE HOLDERS!!!
Re: Unizik's Great BLUNDER To CORP MEMBERS by annonymida: 7:50am On Nov 23, 2015
Re: Unizik's Great BLUNDER To CORP MEMBERS by annonymida: 7:50am On Nov 23, 2015
..x
Re: Unizik's Great BLUNDER To CORP MEMBERS by castel428: 8:46am On Nov 23, 2015
thats embarrassing.i think it is d same in lagos,its rare to see school that provides accomdation for corp members
Re: Unizik's Great BLUNDER To CORP MEMBERS by spenca: 9:32am On Nov 23, 2015
NAU Awka is a Federal university not state so call out to PMB
Re: Unizik's Great BLUNDER To CORP MEMBERS by annonymida: 9:35am On Nov 23, 2015
castel428:
thats embarrassing.i think it is d same in lagos,its rare to see school that provides accomdation for corp members
its really appalling
u'l hear people saying congrats, ao did u runs it, bla bla bla, not knowing ur about to get whipped
Re: Unizik's Great BLUNDER To CORP MEMBERS by annonymida: 9:36am On Nov 23, 2015
spenca:
NAU Awka is a Federal university not state so call out to PMB
Noted.
tnx
will modify my post right away
Re: Unizik's Great BLUNDER To CORP MEMBERS by Nobody: 1:55pm On Nov 23, 2015
So op are you now confirming the rumour of posting students with first class or distinction to the higher institutions to be true?
Re: Unizik's Great BLUNDER To CORP MEMBERS by annonymida: 2:01pm On Nov 24, 2015
Royal155:
So op are you now confirming the rumour of posting students with first class or distinction to the higher institutions to be true?
Affirmative.
just pray u get posted where ur servives would b valued.
heard customs/immigratn treat their corpers well; travel allowances, festive bonuses e.t.c
smh
Re: Unizik's Great BLUNDER To CORP MEMBERS by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 25, 2015
I think the problem is common to most tertiary institutions owned by federal government. I'm posted to uni Ilorin but there's no accomodation provided by the school

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Corpers Can Serve With Us. Generous Allowance & Post NYSC Hiring Prospects / Help Me:i Need Advice On What To Do With My N300k Savings From Allaweee / Need An Online Store For Your Business? See How To Get A FREE One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.