Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,903 members, 7,821,144 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

On God's Omniscience - Abraham And The Stayed Sacrifice Of Isaac - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / On God's Omniscience - Abraham And The Stayed Sacrifice Of Isaac (885 Views)

10 Kinds Of Christians That Put A Smile On God's Face / God's Omniscience. God's Problem. / Was The Sacrifice Of Jesus On The Cross That Big A Deal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

On God's Omniscience - Abraham And The Stayed Sacrifice Of Isaac by huxley2(m): 9:52am On May 24, 2009
Did God know that Abraham truly had faith in Him (God). If God is omniscient, then by definition, he must have known that Abraham was his truly obedient servant, rendering redundant and pointless the cruel ordeal of ordering Abraham to sacrifice Isaac as a test of his commitment to God.

Further, did God know that Abraham was going to comply with the main essence of the test, that is, take Isaac all the way to the sacrificial alter and attempt to slash his throat? If God already knew all of this in advance, then why subject Abraham and Isaac to such and ordeal?

Well, Genesis 22 suggests that God did NOT have foreknowledge of Abraham's state of mind before the stayed sacrifice:

9 And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.

10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.

11 And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.

12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: [size=16pt]for now I know that thou fearest God[/size], seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.

There we are - God saying "[size=16pt]for now I know that thou fearest God[/size]", only after Abraham had nearly slashed his son's throat. Did God not know that Abraham "feareth him" before?

If he did not know, then he cannot be said to be omniscient.

Yet another RUBBISH form the bible

(1) (Reply)

The Intractable Cold War In Abakaliki Diocese / Role Of Women In The Church / All Sinners Are Satanists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.