Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,423 members, 7,822,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Think Before Using These Three Words - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Think Before Using These Three Words (688 Views)

Who Is Still Using These Phones / 3 Things You Must Know Before Using Google Adsense (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Think Before Using These Three Words by Nobody: 10:53am On Nov 24, 2015
Hypocrite/hypocrisy
I saw someone use this term on a particular thread this morning and I rushed to my dictionary to verify if the meaning I have in my head of the word is correct. I wasn't surprised when I found that I've been correct all along but however, this left me somewhat bemused.

A hypocrite is someone whose behaviour or actions does not conform to the beliefs he/she claim to hold.

Most times, especially here on nairaland, you try to point out or note that the actions of a certain person is wrong and the next thing that follows is a crowd of people calling you a hypocrite. Not that they know anything about your life or your posts on nairaland portrays otherwise. I'm forced to assume they use those words on people just so they could justify their own wrongs or they derive some pleasure of some sort from these things.
Inasmuch as we should cut people some slacks, it doesn't in any way make what they do right. If you're not happy someone pointed out your wrong or someone's wrong, please pretend to have some shame even though you don't have any and shut the heck up!

Vanity upon vanity
This is one of the most misunderstood phrase in the world today. When you say something is vanity, you're saying it's in vain, empty or valueless. Oftentimes, people use this phrase when they see high class individuals buy expensive things or get to see a glimpse of their luxury. This is wrong! Very wrong! In fact, very very wrong. Because someone is enjoying the good things of life doesn't mean his life is in vain or empty.

Don't get it twisted. There are people actually living their lives in vain. These are people who are just existing and aren't leaving their footprints on the sand of time. When they check out of this world, there is nothing of value to remember them for. They don't make an impact, they don't seek the happiness of others, they live without a purpose. A man once said the greatest tragedy in life is not death, but a life without a purpose.

^^ Now, that's vanity. Not what most persons yap about. Funny thing is, you'll be surprised when you see the number of persons (not peeps working for them) on the payroll of these persons we're quick to say this phrase to.

Your life cannot be vanity when you walk in your purpose. Your life cannot be vanity when you touch lives positively. Your life cannot be vanity when you hear the cry of the needy and reach out to them. Your life cannot be vanity when you help people rise from poverty to wealth. Your life cannot be vanity when you sponsor people who aren't your kids through school without expecting any repayment from them. A purposeful life is not vanity!!

It's important to note that King Solomon made this statement when he walked outside of the will of God and gathered a thousand women unto himself. It was after that experience he made that statement. This does not mean life in general is vanity. Please think very well before saying vanity upon vanity next time.

Hater
I need not say much about this. This is almost same with the hypocrite/hypocrisy crew. Most times, when I see folks use this term unnecessarily here, I'm left with a cringe. No wonder most of our celebrities (especially from the entertainment industry) are swimming in immaturity and stupĂ­dity. They point out their wrongs and you're immediately tagged a hater. For real? If we continue this way, in the nearest future, they'll tag you a hater if you try to correct your own kids when they go wrong.

Always stand for the truth no matter what people think.

3 Likes

Re: Think Before Using These Three Words by bronzegoddess(f): 10:59am On Nov 24, 2015
U forgot end time.

Vanity, even d foot print in d sands of time is vanity.
Re: Think Before Using These Three Words by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 24, 2015
bronzegoddess:
U forgot end time.

Vanity, even d foot print in d sands of time is vanity.
It's not vanity if it affects the lives of others positively. There are people that did something with their lives many years ago which we are enjoying now. Life is not vanity.
Re: Think Before Using These Three Words by bronzegoddess(f): 11:47am On Nov 24, 2015
iAmCharis:
It's not vanity if it affects the lives of others positively. There are people that did something with their lives many years ago which we are enjoying now. Life is not vanity.

And do those people know that we are enjoying what they did many years ago? Nope.

Vanity, every damn thing is vanity.
Re: Think Before Using These Three Words by Nobody: 11:53am On Nov 24, 2015
bronzegoddess:

And do those people know that we are enjoying what they did many years ago? Nope.

Vanity, every damn thing is vanity.
Okay.

(1) (Reply)

10 Funny Picture To Rest After Daily Hustling.. / Dasukigate: How I Disbursed N100 Million Anenih Gave Me: Olu Falae / The Most Bitter Herbs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.