Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,654 members, 7,809,477 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:14 AM

Stop "jungle Justice" - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Stop "jungle Justice" (6224 Views)

Poll: Can We Put A stop to it?

No: 42% (15 votes)
Yes: 57% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

Yvonne Osifo vs Apostle Psalm Okpe Saga: A Cry For Justice / Four Robbery Suspects Subjected To Jungle Justice, Die In Police Custody / Jungle Justice: See Pics Of Alleged Robbers Caught And Lynched In Portharcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:26pm On May 28, 2009
I think Jungle Justice serves a purpose but the target is as important as the action.
I helped a stranger to the Lagos State Hospital at Onikan. After spending a little of 20 minutes on a bench vomiting, rolling uncontrollably and crying that death is upon him, the doctor shows up and calmly writes out a prescription. we spend the next 1 hr waiting to get our prescription costed (not that we were going to find any drugs there anyway). we got our list from a pharmacy close by and managed to get him into the emergency room on time to be stabilized.

I wondered, what about the national budget for health, i wondered if the monies are not been saved to be shared at the end of the year like Iyabo and her cohorts did. babies die every day and the public officials responsible for making sure that some live, simply chalk up their lack of competence and poor allocation of resources (better luck next year)

We all love to lynch the teenager who stole a carton of indomie noodles or a purse and trinkets, but stand in awe and reverence when a corrupt politician (murderers) or bloody-money richmen (murderers) and 419ners (murderers) roll by in their ill-gotten wealth.

Jungle Justice should be served to the right candidates.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by kokoye(m): 2:07pm On May 28, 2009
. . .
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by kokoye(m): 2:11pm On May 28, 2009
tayoccu:

I'm ashamed that my "some of my fellow nairalanders" think it's okay to burn a man to death cry cry cry
whatever a man has done no man deverves to die like that, we don't even kill animals like that,then why should we do such to fellow homosapiens?

Nobody said it was ok to burn . . .they are more humane ways to do it.

You never answered my question anyway. and like someone said, have you ever witnessed a sister or mother or little baby been raped by armed robbers . . . or they shove a gun into your mouth . . I know poeple these things have happened to, they could not defend themselves and the animals are still on the streets raping, kidnapping and maybe still giving offerings in church. Some of their victims have been disabled for life - the types of ladies you would see on the road and shake ur head in disgust.

what would you do??
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by tayoccu(m): 2:45pm On May 28, 2009
kokoye:

That is true, but in the example i clearly stated, what if the person already has his hands on your neck and is chocking you? , or better still, what if the person has a gun??

Simply put, what if the person is out to kill you??

I will subdue,
IF I can not subdue,then I will kill as a last resort.

jungle justice is different, they are killing people that they have subdued.
for crying out loud it's not like the suspects in the video were killed in combat,they were killed after they were over powered, which in my book is murder.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by kokoye(m): 3:44pm On May 28, 2009
Not like this does not happen anywhere else but I will use Nigeria as a case example.

Do you know how many times people have subdued and taken these robbers to the police station, only for the robbers to get out a day later and then unleash unimaginable violence?? A lot of people like you and me have been rendered parentless, childless or permanently disabled. Some of them live their lives regretting they did not apply J.J.

Some of these are the people we see on the streets, cover our noses and turn our faces in disgust.

That, my brother, is the reason for jungle justice in most cases especially in Nigeria.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by HERO111: 4:57pm On May 28, 2009
I think that it has to do with the experience u have had before to make u either speak for or against jungle Justice(JJ).
i agree that we as human beings have the tendency of doing either good or evil like someone mentioned earlier above but at the same time it is also human to feel like supporting jj after u experience such a mean act from the bad boys. For instance but for God i would have been buried on the 10th of May 2009 as a result of arm robbery attack which left me sleeping in a forest between Ore and Ijebu Ode throughout that night till the next day. Loosed several valuables and so on. Now wouldn't it be almost impossible for anybody to convince me not to support jj in the case of arm robbery?
The whole problem stems from the fact that our security agents are incapable and lack the zeal and professionalism in fighting crime in this country.
Besides, our legal system is also badly affected by corruption where even most genuine cases are not handled the way they should be handled( e.g Clifford Orji etc) hence leaving citizens with the impression that anybody can be freed from any crime no matter the evidence made available.
To tell you the fact it will take God to fix this issue in this country.
And we need to be more cautious anywhere we find ourselves especially here in lagos as crime keeps growing everyday.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by HERO111: 5:03pm On May 28, 2009
I think that it has to do with the experience u have had before to make u either speak for or against jungle Justice(JJ).
i agree that we as human beings have the tendency of doing either good or evil  like someone mentioned earlier above but at the same time it is also human to feel like supporting jj after u experience such a mean act from the bad boys. For instance but for God i would have been buried on the 10th of May 2009 as a result of arm robbery attack which left me sleeping in a forest between Ore and Ijebu Ode throughout that night till the next day. Loosed several valuables and so on. Now wouldn't it be almost impossible for anybody to convince  me not to support jj in the case of arm robbery?
The whole problem stems from the fact that our security agents are incapable and lack the  zeal and professionalism  in fighting crime in this country.
Besides, our legal system is also badly affected by corruption where even most genuine cases are not handled the way they should be handled( e.g Clifford Orji etc)  hence leaving  citizens with the impression that anybody can be freed from any crime no matter the evidence made available.
To tell  you the fact it will take God to fix this issue in this country.    
And we need to be more cautious anywhere we find ourselves especially here in lagos as crime keeps growing everyday.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by gamechange(m): 1:12pm On May 29, 2009
too many posts
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by gamechange(m): 1:14pm On May 29, 2009
Judging by the utterances here, it is safe to conclude that as a nation we are millions of miles away from attaining the level of human development we ought to be at.

Some of the minds here show me the reason why our nation is entangled, bound, corrupt and underdeveloped, is it not a fact that we can all find reasons for doing wrong? injustice? we can all find reasons for doing the wrong thing at every opportunity? do our reasons make those events right? does the fact that our systems aren't there yet make such events acceptable?

If thats how we feel, then we are missing the point of development, we need to challenge ourselves at all times, lets look around the world, whenever people challenge wrong doing, they mature and develop together as a nation, take a case in point, we are all joyous at Obama's emergence as the president of the "MOST POWERFUL NATION IN THE WORLD'. It's funny how easily it can be forgotten that this journey started by people challenging wrong doing, Martin Lurther King, Rosa parks, lets look at South Africa today.

There is a certain level of thinking we fervently desire in our country, we cannot continue to do wrong and call on God, then expect magic.  There is the principle of cause and effect at play people.

Life is sacrosanct, nobody can create it and no one should take it, irrespective of whether our system is a failure or not

Lets give ourselves to deep thinking.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by gamechange(m): 1:16pm On May 29, 2009
multiple post
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by gamechange(m): 1:19pm On May 29, 2009
multiple post
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by Nobody: 12:54am On May 30, 2009
its easy or some of you in western nations to conden suc acts. it is he that wears the shoe that knows where it pinches.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by MadMax1(f): 11:50pm On May 31, 2009
One understands why anyone who's fallen victim or lost someone to robber's bullets would want them to burn burn burn. But the poeple who rush to set someone ablaze don't pretend they're interested in combating crime. It;s all about the thrill. How many armed robbers do unarmed Nigerians catch and burn? The jungle justice victims are usually unarmed, and are attacked and burned when someone shouts thief! No fact-finding is done to determine his guilt or innocence. Look at the earlier post about the guy who was simply buying a refill card and wanted his change. He was almost murdered, with no one asking him a thing; his guilt taken for granted. We all heard about the eleven year old boy burned to death in Lagos by a mob. I heard of a woman, a teacher, who was burned to death over a false alarm, the false alarm evident after she'd been burned to cinders. No fact finding; just grab and burn. They have no right to take people;s lives that way. It's beyond inhuman. No amount of guilty robbers burned can make up for one child or a single innocent human being burned alive. Perpertrators should be arrested and tried for murder. Let them prove how they knew the person they murdered was guilty, in court.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by tayoccu(m): 12:36pm On Jun 01, 2009
gamechange:

Judging by the utterances here, it is safe to conclude that as a nation we are millions of miles away from attaining the level of human development we ought to be at.

Some of the minds here show me the reason why our nation is entangled, bound, corrupt and underdeveloped, is it not a fact that we can all find reasons for doing wrong? injustice? we can all find reasons for doing the wrong thing at every opportunity? do our reasons make those events right? does the fact that our systems aren't there yet make such events acceptable?

If thats how we feel, then we are missing the point of development, we need to challenge ourselves at all times, lets look around the world, whenever people challenge wrong doing, they mature and develop together as a nation, take a case in point, we are all joyous at Obama's emergence as the president of the "MOST POWERFUL NATION IN THE WORLD'. It's funny how easily it can be forgotten that this journey started by people challenging wrong doing, Martin Lurther King, Rosa parks, lets look at South Africa today.

There is a certain level of thinking we fervently desire in our country, we cannot continue to do wrong and call on God, then expect magic.  There is the principle of cause and effect at play people.

Life is sacrosanct, nobody can create it and no one should take it, irrespective of whether our system is a failure or not

Lets give ourselves to deep thinking.

Well said Gamechange!
like I said earlier change begins with each and every one of us,
we can not blame the legal system for being ineffective,when we ourselves have done nothing to uphold/strengthen it.
we accuse people of armed robbery, but we deny them the right to a fair trial,then murder them, is that right?
it sickens me that people are actually supporting cold blooded murder,so as to curb armed robbery, why must we always "burn the house to roast the pig"?

Mad_Max:

One understands why anyone who's fallen victim or lost someone to robber's bullets would want them to burn burn burn. But the poeple who rush to set someone ablaze don't pretend they're interested in combating crime. It;s all about the thrill. How many armed robbers do unarmed Nigerians catch and burn? The jungle justice victims are usually unarmed, and are attacked and burned when someone shouts thief! No fact-finding is done to determine his guilt or innocence. Look at the earlier post about the guy who was simply buying a refill card and wanted his change. He was almost murdered, with no one asking him a thing; his guilt taken for granted. We all heard about the eleven year old boy burned to death in Lagos by a mob. I heard of a woman, a teacher, who was burned to death over a false alarm, the false alarm evident after she'd been burned to cinders. No fact finding; just grab and burn. They have no right to take people;s lives that way. It's beyond inhuman. No amount of guilty robbers burned can make up for one child or a single innocent human being burned alive. Perpertrators should be arrested and tried for murder. Let them prove how they knew the person they murdered was guilty, in court.

well said Mad_Max,
now all of y'all that support "JJ" tell me how do you determine who's guilty or not?
even in some cases where the people are guilty of robbery or theft, the item(s) stolen do not warrant them being executed (in fact no material is worth a human life)

careytommy:

its easy or some of you in western nations to condemn such acts. it is he that wears the shoe that knows where it pinches.

that is so untrue, I live in naija, and i strongly condemn "jungle justice".
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by claycares: 1:40pm On Jun 01, 2009
It goes a long way to show you the way we think in this country. Any nation that is still practicing jungle justice is still in the state of nature. A state where there is no rule of law. We are too backward in this 9ja. Jungle justice or self help as it is know in jurisprudence is not condoned by the law.

On the other hand, we must balance the issue in such way that the state should not have right to take life because the rights of man is not given by the generousity of the state but by the hand of God himself. That right must not be qualified.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by claycares: 1:43pm On Jun 01, 2009
It goes a long way to show you the way we think in this country. Any nation that is still practicing jungle justice is still in the state of nature. A state where there is no rule of law. We are too backward in this 9ja. Jungle justice or self help as it is know in jurisprudence is not condoned by the law.

On the other hand, we must balance the issue in such way that the state should not have right to take life because the rights of man is not given by the generousity of the state but by the hand of God himself. That right must not be qualified.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by biola44: 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2009
one day! : angry
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by manmustwac(m): 1:33pm On Jun 02, 2009
what do u expect from a backwards country where the masses still believe in superstition. there is no law in nigeria
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by tayoccu(m): 2:00pm On Jun 02, 2009
HERO111:

i agree that we as human beings have the tendency of doing either good or evil  like someone mentioned earlier above but at the same time it is also human to feel like supporting jj after u experience such a mean act from the bad boys. For instance but for God i would have been buried on the 10th of May 2009 as a result of arm robbery attack which left me sleeping in a forest between Ore and Ijebu Ode throughout that night till the next day. Loosed several valuables and so on. Now wouldn't it be almost impossible for anybody to convince  me not to support jj in the case of arm robbery?
The whole problem stems from the fact that our security agents are incapable and lack the  zeal and professionalism  in fighting crime in this country.
Besides, our legal system is also badly affected by corruption where even most genuine cases are not handled the way they should be handled( e.g Clifford Orji etc)  hence leaving  citizens with the impression that anybody can be freed from any crime no matter the evidence made available.
To tell  you the fact it will take God to fix this issue in this country.    

Believe me you do not want to experience what I've experienced.
Fine the law stinks,but every time a mob executes a "thief" , it stinks more, cos we the mob has committed a more serious offense to punish a lesser one, and they get away with it.

I agree with you that only GOD can fix our dear country, but he won't come down in all his glory, no he will use people like you and me.

The battle against lawlessness starts with each and every one of us, Please play your part.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by DaJoneZ(f): 8:56pm On Jun 07, 2009
angry
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by DaJoneZ(f): 9:06pm On Jun 07, 2009
@ Poster

This so-called "Jungle Justice" did not start yesterday, it's been around for years, and shameful as it is, it still goes on. and I hate the fact that it still goes on.
I watched the video a week back on youtube, and I was disgusted!, how can anybody stand and stare at a fellow human being (no matter what they did) being set ablaze, and left to smoulder in agony?, it is purely inhumane!

And the bad thing about it, is that some of these people they claim are criminals, are sometimes Innocent people, who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I remember, when I last went to Nigeria in (2007), and I almost got set ablaze with my younger sister, and some of my friends, because we had a problem with our car, so we parked to find what the problem was, like about half an hour later, an okada man was fatally hit by another car on the opposite side of the road, and despite what that driver did, he/she never came out of the car, they sped off. immediately people started pointing fingers at us saying we killed him and then another group of people came, and made us sit in the middle of the road trying to make us confess to something we didn't do, another person started sprinkling, then eventually pouring fuel on us I was dead scared and kept quiet, what saved us was a passer by who spotted one of the licence plates that dropped off the car and it was covered in blood. then after a while these same people told us to go, not even a sorry, but at that time I didn't care I just wanted to go home I smelt of petrol for a few days. when I looked at the youtube video, It hit me hard to think that I could have been treated this way and for what reason? I continue to thank God forever.

These people who stop what they are doing to catch a piece of the action running down the road for these "criminals", these same people who with free hands, throw petrol and strike matches, these same people who stand by, making sure that the "criminal" is burnt till they stop moving, before they can go back to what they were doing, and these same people who carry in their mind that "Justice was served" with empty yet satisfied souls, are these same people not fit to carry the title "criminal" on their shoulders? and are these not the same people who would be mentally branded as murderers with free minds?. Baring them in mind, God sees everything, these criminals they judge and kill, would also be the same criminals who would stand before God in judgement.

But hey! what can be done? the so-called jungle justice will continue, and even if an order was put in place to stop it. A heart of hatred and a mind of ignorance coupled together will not allow such orders to be implemented. It's like a single individual telling a Governor of an American state to stop executions.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by tayoccu(m): 6:43pm On Jun 10, 2009
DaJoneZ:

@ Poster

But hey! what can be done? the so-called jungle justice will continue, and even if an order was put in place to stop it. A heart of hatred and a mind of ignorance coupled together will not allow such orders to be implemented. It's like a single individual telling a Governor of an American state to stop executions.

but a revolution starts with 1 man making a move,then another inspired by the 1st man follows suit,before you know it a revolution has begaun.
that's why i started this thread, I don't know influential people,but i pray this thread influences some one who does.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by tayoccu(m): 3:32pm On Jul 20, 2009

is this justice?
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by tunnytox(m): 3:55pm On Jul 21, 2009
People who carry out Jungle Justice should have their head checked, they are simply animals. How can you just hear people shouting Thief!! and all you can do is to set the person ablaze without any evidence that they commited the offence. The fact remains that so many innocent people has been killed this way, whoever particpates in this barbaric act should be jailed indefinitely.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by tayoccu(m): 3:26pm On Jul 27, 2009
tunnytox:

People who carry out Jungle Justice should have their head checked, they are simply animals. How can you just hear people shouting Thief!! and all you can do is to set the person ablaze without any evidence that they commited the offence. The fact remains that so many innocent people has been killed this way, whoever particpates in this barbaric act should be jailed indefinitely.

well said tunnytox.

fellow nairalanders, i humbly request you join my cause to stop this barbaric act, follow this link:

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/319930/59663930?m=fb5a6ed7&ref=mf

thank you.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by vislabraye(m): 9:20pm On Feb 20, 2015
wavemasta:
At last, someone who feels like I do. I have always wondered why we have to go this route.
I saw one live execution when I was coming back from school during my undergraduate days, in the evening. This dude was naked, on the ground, gasping, and some well dressed guy was pressing a burning tyre on the guys body. Gave me nightmares man, especially when I know some innocents have died like that.
Theres no law in that country of ours, and the citizens take the law into their own hands to protect themselves.
Some of those armed robbers are brutal, not being content with taking your cash, some might rape your wife and kill you ontop, simply because of beef that you are doing better than they are.
Still it doesn't give us the right to murder people in such a way. We cannot fight crime by acting like criminals.
God help us sha.
And I have been held up at gun point before, lest someone think I am just pontificating.

"STill it doesn't give you the right to take someones's life" so you are saying if someone rapes ur wife and shoots you, you won't mete out instant justice on him.

Just pray it doesn't happen to U.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Rescinds Judgement Against Edirin Oghenejode In Wife Battery Case / Meet The World Most Intelligent Criminals In History. / The Dumbest Criminals Ever Caught

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.