Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,383 members, 7,954,554 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:05 PM

Myths Of Atheism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Myths Of Atheism (795 Views)

Communist Leaders Killed 250 MILLION Because Of Atheism. ATHEISM motivated them / The Absurdity Of Atheism - Article / Finally I Have Crossed The Bridge Of Agnostism Into The Land Of Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Myths Of Atheism by donnffd(m): 10:41am On Nov 25, 2015
I try my best to ignore some comments about Atheists and Atheism here on NL, its pitiful when i see some real illogical arguments put forward and it takes a great deal to not answer, but as always i feel i should pour out my mind and clear up some misconceptions about atheists or Atheism

MYTH: Atheism is a Religion
FACT: Atheism is not a religion, it is a rejection of religion, it should not be confused with a cult or religion. An easier way to put this is, If you are in a group and in that group, you guys all love chelsea, you regard yourselves as chelsea fans, then what would you call someone who doesnt watch football at all... a non-chelsea fan

MYTH: Atheists want to sin thats why they dont believe in God
FACT: If i was a thief, and i wanted to rob, but i know that if i robbed a bank, i would get caught by the police, does it make much sense for me to stop believing in Police so that i can rob all i want

MYTH: Atheists Hate God
FACT: Atheists hate God has much as you hate dragons, or voldemort, or the evil step mother...

MYTH: Atheists are stupid, how did you come about if God did not create you?
FACT: Science has given us objective truth far more than an religion has or would ever give us, what we know now, we ddnt know some 400 years ago, and we know it now due to scientific discoveries and enquiry...because we dont know something now doesnt mean we would never know it in the future

MYTH: You cant tell me how we came about, it means God did it!
FACT: That has to be the worst argument i have ever heard...God of the gaps, if thats how you define your God, then your God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance

MYTH: Atheists are arrogant
FACT: Well that i cant help, it has to do with personality and sometimes your perception of things...i can say with sufficient confidence, i am very accommodating of personal beliefs and stuff

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Myths Of Atheism by Geestarry(f): 10:51am On Nov 25, 2015
Shoooo
Re: Myths Of Atheism by DuchessLily(f): 10:56am On Nov 25, 2015
cry undecided
Re: Myths Of Atheism by hahn(m): 10:59am On Nov 25, 2015
donnffd:

MYTH: Atheists are arrogant
FACT: Well that i cant help, it has to do with personality and sometimes your perception of things...i can say with sufficient confidence, i am very accommodating of personal beliefs and stuff

This point is a simple case of misunderstanding. If I am in the midst of Christians, for instance, and they start praying, what am I supposed to do? Whether I choose to excuse myself or not involve myself entirely, Christians will still pick offense instead of respecting my own decision not to "serve" their god. I don't believe in it and I won't pretend to just as I won't try to convince you to disbelief. They expect you to join them in their beliefs whether you believe it or not and THAT is a show of arrogance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myths Of Atheism by pillarmaria(m): 11:24am On Nov 25, 2015
donnffd:

MYTH: Atheists Hate God
FACT: Atheists hate God has much as you hate dragons, or voldemort, or the evil step mother...

If Atheists hate God then that is a huge sign that God exists.

1 Like

Re: Myths Of Atheism by Judas2013: 11:42am On Nov 25, 2015
God?

Re: Myths Of Atheism by menesheh(m): 12:06pm On Nov 25, 2015
pillarmaria:

It apparently depicts that god is an imagery and abstract concept. The dictatorial government of North Korea can't be challenged by his subjects. Since god is an absolute entity like the north Korean govt, he don't respond in the case of hateful subject of his; he certainly don't exist.

I don't need to hear, god is love and mercyful, freewill bla bla

Mind you that we are criticising and seriously requesting for evidence of such god not that we're hateful of such god. We are concern because of the evils people are perpetrating in the name of god.

2 Likes

Re: Myths Of Atheism by donnffd(m): 1:25pm On Nov 25, 2015
hahn:

This point is a simple case of misunderstanding. If I am in the midst of Christians, for instance, and they start praying, what am I supposed to do? Whether I choose to excuse myself or not involve myself entirely, Christians will still pick offense instead of respecting my own decision not to "serve" their god. I don't believe in it and I won't pretend to just as I won't try to convince you to disbelief. They expect you to join them in their beliefs whether you believe it or not and THAT is a show of arrogance.

I concurr...
Re: Myths Of Atheism by donnffd(m): 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
pillarmaria:

What i mean is that the hatred is not real hate, its the same hate you have for an imaginary character like voldemort in harry potter...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

5 Night Of Glory / Please I Need Your Help! / Post Your Prayer Requests Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.