Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Atoke: 7 Ways To Recreate Nigeria… Even When You’re Thousands Of Miles Away - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Atoke: 7 Ways To Recreate Nigeria… Even When You’re Thousands Of Miles Away (492 Views)

5 Unmistakable Signs You’re Dealing With A Typical Nigerian / 7 Ways To Prevent Cultural Mistakes While On Vacation / Atah Of Igala Land Strikes Fulani Herdsmen And Thousands Of Cows With Thunder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Atoke: 7 Ways To Recreate Nigeria… Even When You’re Thousands Of Miles Away by gatoyi: 2:32am On Nov 26, 2015
The deadline for getting the Central Bank mandated Bank Verification Number was looming and I didn’t have the funds for a trip to Nigeria in my budget. The alternatives for me were London and Leicester which would have also cost money I didn’t have; so I reckoned, I’d just wait for a few more weeks when I was scheduled to be in Houston and do it there.
On the appointed day, I walked into that office, and in one glance, I realized that the operators of the BVN service had managed to recreate Nigeria… thousands of miles away. I didn’t need to go to Nigeria. They brought Nigeria to me.

Fast forward to a month later, I was in California and had to accompany my cousin to get her passport renewed at a Nigerian High Commission pop-up in Los Angeles. The organizers set up in a large hall, but with the littered chairs, trash strewn around the room, and loud rowdy adults, there was no doubt that my people had done it again. Goodbye Los Angeles. Hello Lagos!

Now before you turn up your nose at this incredible feat, I’ll have you know that it is not easy to ensure that you don’t leave your country behind. So here are 7 ways to recreate Nigeria irrespective of where you are.

Ignore the Basic Rules of Social Etiquette
There is no place like home and certain basic concepts of social etiquettes, like queuing, are not Nigerian. You’re bound to miss all the rowdiness that reminds you of home. The first way to recreate the Nigerian experience is to ignore things like order and queues. Nothing speaks Nigeria louder than chaos – even when it can be avoided. When someone tries to suggest that you’ll probably get things done faster, and more effectively if there’s a queue, remind them of who you are. Tell them your status in the Nigerian community and your proximity to the organizers of the event or gathering. In the absence of those, just elbow your way to the front of the queue. Don’t they realize you don’t plan to spend the whole day trying to get a passport?

Simple things like throwing trash in the bin as a matter of rote can’t exist when you’re trying to recreate the Nigerian experience. Candy wrappers must be left on the floor and plastic bottles tossed aside as soon as you’re finished with them. While you’re at it, ignore personal space and don’t forget to give unsolicited advice to the person sitting beside you whose phone call you managed to hear because well…Nigerian loud voice.

Be Loud
What is a gathering of Nigerians without loud and raucous talking? Every Nigerian gathering is characterized with noise. Even moments which call for solemn and quiet contemplation have the standard high-pitched screaming. The appropriate evidence that you are not complicit in the death of your spouse is loud dramatic wailing. If you choose to quietly grieve, you probably killed him. The louder you are, the more Nigerian you are. Yell! Yell Louder!! Then look for TomTom for your persistent sore throat.

To recreate the Nigerian experience abroad, you have to forget that the walls are thin – cardboard and wood – be loud, be loquacious, and be wildly expressive.

The last time the Nigerian Embassy came to Los Angeles for the passport pop-up, they used a hotel room. Add the recreation of Nigeria in a tiny space and BOOM! The hotel managers had to ask our people to leave.

Bring Ethnicity Into Every Conversation
Another important thing to do when you want to recreate the Nigerian experience is introduce ethnic differences in every conversation. There’s unity in diversity… or something like that, and Nigerians thrive on the division fomented by that diversity. Ensure that the ethnic differences are highlighted and everybody bears the banner of their tribe.

At the OIS office in Houston, the front desk officer looked at me and pointedly stated that she had been attending to only Yoruba people all morning.
“Why be sey na una just dey come here since morning. Na Yoruba people dey carry all the Dollar go Naija”

The deadpan expression on my face was not a clear enough indication that I just wanted to get my business done as quickly as possible. She went on to show me the hand written list pointing out the Yoruba names that populated the list.

“Where should I sign, ma?”...

http://www.bellanaija.com/2015/11/25/atoke-7-ways-to-recreate-nigeria-even-when-youre-thousands-of-miles-away/

(1) (Reply)

Why Is It Expensive To Do A Burial In Cross River? / Why Do We Wait 7 Days To Name Our New Born Babies? / Nigeria Ogigi Stew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.