Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

If You Want To Have A Great 2016, Spend An Hour Doing This - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / If You Want To Have A Great 2016, Spend An Hour Doing This (1110 Views)

National Corruption Survey: Bribe-payers Spend An Eighth Of Their Salary / 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss / How Much Do You Spend On Lunch Per Day? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Want To Have A Great 2016, Spend An Hour Doing This by Nobody: 6:34am On Nov 28, 2015
If you know what you’re looking for, there’s something magical about the first days of the New Year. Everyone is settling back to work from the holidays so time moves a little bit slower. You have room to breathe in deep, to reflect on your year, to set goals for the future.

Every year during this time, I carve out five or six hours over two or three days where I don’t do any work. Instead, I spend the first few days of the new year by myself with a pad of paper reflecting on the year and dreaming about the year to come.
This is the best part of my year. More than Christmas candy and New Years’ champagne, it helps me relax and refocus. And with just a few hours over a two or three days, it sustains my work for months.
So today, the day after the first day of 2016, I want to invite you to reflect and dream with me.

REFLECT FIRST:
What did you love about your 2015? Where did you struggle?
We reflect for two reasons: It helps us learn how to make our future better. But reflection is also an end in itself. As a storyteller, your memory is one of your greatest assets, and delving into the best and worst parts of your year is an important exercise.
Take time to reflect on 2015. Evaluate on any goals you set the year before, and write a few sentences about any event you can think of.
THEN, RECONNECT WITH YOUR DESIRE
I don’t know about you, but I don’t really believe in New Year’s resolutions. Why would you want to create goals around things you don’t want to do?
Instead, I like spending this time reconnecting with my desire. What do I really want to do in the next year? What do I really want to accomplish? How do I want to grow, and who do I want to become?
This isn’t a time for half-hearted dreams. I only focus on my deepest desires.
As I reconnect, I set two to four goals for the next year. Why so few? Because resolve is a limited resource, and if you really want to accomplish your goals, it’s important to put all your desire behind just a few dreams that are really important to you.
WHAT ARE YOUR DREAMS?
So how about you? Ask yourself the following questions to spur your dreaming:
What do you want, really want, in 2016?
What do you want to accomplish this new year?
Who do you want to become?
This time next year, when you look back at what you did in 2016, what stories do you want to be able to tell?
And how will it feel once you accomplish these goals?
One final note, as you dream, make sure to focus on each area of your life: personal, professional, physical, emotional, and spiritual. Most people focus only one or two of these areas when they dream (I tend to focus on the professional aspects and especially neglect personal goals), but to be happy and healthy, it’s important to plan for the whole of your person.
PRACTICE
Spend fifteen minutes (or several hours) reflecting on your year and dreaming about the next. Make a list of all your memories from 2015, and create two to four goals that represent your deepest desires for 2016.
When you’re ready, share your goals and two or three of your memories in the comments section.
Happy New Year in advance!
@cc lalasticlacla

1 Like

Re: If You Want To Have A Great 2016, Spend An Hour Doing This by Cutehector(m): 6:36am On Nov 28, 2015
Got nothn significant to resolute in 2016.. Just hustle hustle hustle...
Re: If You Want To Have A Great 2016, Spend An Hour Doing This by funnynation(m): 6:37am On Nov 28, 2015
Nice one
Re: If You Want To Have A Great 2016, Spend An Hour Doing This by adren(m): 6:38am On Nov 28, 2015
this 2016.. we must gather make am ni oooo...

no one can afford been left outta the loop...
least is me
Re: If You Want To Have A Great 2016, Spend An Hour Doing This by Emmaesty(f): 9:59pm On Nov 28, 2015
Cutehector:
Got nothn significant to resolute in 2016.. Just hustle hustle hustle...
There must be something you want to make out of life, no matter how insignificant it seem. Try this; Close your eyes and picture yourself in 10years time, What do you see? You might see yourself married with 2 children or a CEO of a bank or even the governor of Lagos state. We all have goals and even the smallest goal matters.

Try and set a goal for 2016, even if it's to make N50,000 for the year. Remember, big goals matter but small goals matter the most because it is from these small goals that achieving bigger goals becomes a reality.

2 Likes

Re: If You Want To Have A Great 2016, Spend An Hour Doing This by Cutehector(m): 7:51am On Nov 29, 2015
Emmaesty:
There must be something you want to make out of life, no matter how insignificant it seem. Try this; Close your eyes and picture yourself in 10years time, What do you see? You might see yourself married with 2 children or a CEO of a bank or even the governor of Lagos state. We all have goals and even the smallest goal matters.

Try and set a goal for 2016, even if it's to make N50,000 for the year. Remember, big goals matter but small goals matter the most because it is from these small goals that achieving bigger goals becomes a reality.
madam, the word hustle included everything u just wrote....
Re: If You Want To Have A Great 2016, Spend An Hour Doing This by Nobody: 6:52am On Dec 01, 2015
Cutehector:
madam, the word hustle included everything u just wrote....

cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Chemistry/indurtrial Chemistry Both Graduate And Undergraduate Should Enter Here / 6 Months Practical Laptop Engineering Program<<your Opportunity>> / World Bank Group Analyst Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.