Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

You Have A Brain, Use It !!! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / You Have A Brain, Use It !!! (426 Views)

What Is Yembos! And Why Should You Use It? / How To Get 20gb For N200 On Your Airtel Sim And Settings To Use It On All App / Man Who Used joystick Signature On Driving Licence Loses The Right To Use It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

You Have A Brain, Use It !!! by Emisco3310(m): 12:46pm On Nov 28, 2015
"...In med school followed the rules, went to class, studied, completed assignments, and thought l was doing well. However, it wasn't long before l was disabused of that notion. When l did poorly on the first set of comprehensive exams, my faculty advisor called me to his office to offer what he thought would be helpful advice.

After looking over my records, he told me, "You seem to be a highly intelligent young man, Mr. Carson. I'm sure there many things you could do outside of medicine."

His words nearly devastated me. The faculty member assigned to provide me advice, encouragement, and inspiration thought l wasn't smart enough to handle medical school and was advising me to go ahead and drop out.

When l told him l didn't want to do that, he suggested the possibility of taking half as many classes, which would require 4 yrs to complete the first 2 yrs of the program. l didn't want to do that either. So l don't think my advisor was happy when l left his office without agreeing to take any of his advice.

I still believed God wanted me to pursue the dream I had had Since I was 8 yrs old to become a doctor. So l determined to use my brain to think seriously about why l seemed to be struggling and come up with a strategy for addressing the problem.

I'd become voracious learner since fifth grade; l wasn't going to give up now. The more l thought about how my med school experience was diff. from the previous twelve years of educational success, the more convinced l became that the issue wasn't whether l could learn(I'd proven that), but how l learned best.

I'd been sitting n listening to lectures hour after hour after hour every day That was the pattern in every one of my courses, and nothing was sinking in. When l thought back over my previous schooling, it hit me that l had never learned we from just listening. l had always learnt best by reading. That meant l needed to come up with a way to use that strength.

The plan l arrived at sounds pretty drastic-maybe crazy- but from then until the end of med school, l skipped most of my class lectures. During the hours the other students spent in class, l was in my rum or d library reading and rereading the textbook (sometimes more than one textbook) for each of my courses. l studied all sort of related resources.

I didn't just blow off the lectures; there were "scribes" who sat in every lecture course. These people earned money by taking and typing up detailed notes on every class. l could subscribe to those note for reasonable price, and l found l could absorb the material much more efficiently that way than l could by attending the classes. Just b4 tests, l transferred much of d info onto flashcards to review. Plus, l attended the labs for the hands-on experiments

While l could never say med school became easy after that( l studied at least as long and as hard as all other students l knew), my new strategy began working right away. My grades improved so quickly that l not only shocked my advisor, but l also surprised myself..."

MY QUESTION TO YOU;

*Like Ben, do you also have a goal that you are not willing to let go....Not even when people greater than you asked you to..

**Like Ben, have you been able to identify what works for you...

***Like Ben mother do tell him, YOU HAVE A BRAIN, USE IT !!!

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=134198694910355614#editor/target=post;postID=7599089627094112782;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=0;src=postname

(1) (Reply)

Five Facts About Nigerian Girls / Can You Rock This Haircut?? / Best Christmas Gift For All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.