Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,230 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. (1173 Views)

Patrick Henry Edet And Inyene Sampson White Wedding Photos / Why Jesus Is White? / Bishop Mike Okonkwo's Daughter's White Wedding Today (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by Niceman4u(m): 1:57pm On Nov 28, 2015
Atimes I think dat doing white wedding is just an optional ceremony. My take on marriage is: pay the lady's dowry nd u r a married man or both of u r married.

1 Like

Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by vooks: 4:11pm On Nov 28, 2015
Niceman4u:
Atimes I think dat doing white wedding is just an optional ceremony. My take on marriage is: pay the lady's dowry nd u r a married man or both of u r married.
Why would dowry suffice? Do you mean absence of dowry means no marriage
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by Niceman4u(m): 4:50pm On Nov 28, 2015
vooks:

Why would dowry suffice? Do you mean absence of dowry means no marriage

I mean once u pay d dowry u r traditionally married to d girl. And dats wat I tink is marriage
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by vooks: 5:08pm On Nov 28, 2015
Niceman4u:

I mean once u pay d dowry u r traditionally married to d girl. And dats wat I tink is marriage
Am asking why do you think paying dowry is marriage?

WHY?
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by Niceman4u(m): 5:22pm On Nov 28, 2015
vooks:

WHY?

Tradition demands payment of dowry!
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by johnydon22(m): 6:35pm On Nov 28, 2015
Niceman4u:

white wedding is not an African or christian tradition. white wedding originated from Britain.

According to the African tradition any girl whose dowry is paid and receives blessings from both parents during the ceremony is Married..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by hahn(m): 6:38pm On Nov 28, 2015
johnydon22:

white wedding is not an African or christian tradition. white wedding originated from Britain.

According to the African tradition any girl whose dowry is paid and receives blessings from both parents during the ceremony is Married..

What of under the constitution?
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by johnydon22(m): 6:42pm On Nov 28, 2015
vooks:

WHY?
Because it is an African cultural and ethical construct.

it stipulates once dowry is paid with all the necessary wine and ceremonies, the couple are married .. No addition no subtraction... we are Africans and that is our own societal norm

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by johnydon22(m): 6:43pm On Nov 28, 2015
hahn:

What of under the constitution?
I don't understand
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by hahn(m): 6:44pm On Nov 28, 2015
johnydon22:

it stipulates once dowry is paid with all the necessary wine and ceremonies, the couple are married .. No addition no subtraction... we are Africans and that is our own societal norm

What does our constitution say?
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by hahn(m): 6:45pm On Nov 28, 2015
johnydon22:
I don't understand

What does the constitution say as regards marriage?
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by johnydon22(m): 6:50pm On Nov 28, 2015
hahn:

What does the constitution say as regards marriage?

As long as the two consenting adults have been dully registered in the tribunal, they are legally married couples..

So one can simply notify the local tribunal to provide official marriage certificates to be signed after the TRADITIONAL wedding..

Constitutional ---> Registered couples under the tribunal overseen by an official attorney and with two or more witnesses .. Married.

African tradition (the one am familiar with igbo) ---> Once dowry is paid and blessings given by the parents.. Married

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by hahn(m): 7:01pm On Nov 28, 2015
johnydon22:

African tradition (the one am familiar with igbo) ---> Once dowry is paid and blessings given by the parents.. Married

If they are married under tradition and not at a court or registry and without signing any legal document, is their matrimony legal?
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by vooks: 7:05pm On Nov 28, 2015
johnydon22:

The 'African cultural and ethical construct' would have women married at their early teens, undergo genital mutilation, are mere chattels with zero inheritance rights, can be shared among agemates,inherited after being widowed and so forth.

Can you see where am going with this? cheesy cheesy
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by vooks: 7:12pm On Nov 28, 2015
Niceman4u:

Tradition demands payment of dowry!

Tradition once demanded that girls get married at their early teens, undergo genital mutilation, are mere chattels with zero inheritance rights, can be shared among agemates,inherited after being widowed and so forth.

The point is 'traditions' are not static and are constantly changing. Marriage is no exception and you should not throw fits over this
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by anukulapo: 8:16am On Nov 29, 2015
hahn:

If they are married under tradition and not at a court or registry and without signing any legal document, is their matrimony legal?
Even if you are not married under any tradition (payment of dowry as you suppose), by staying together (cohabiting) for a certain length of time, the law of the land assumes you married. It is the "common law" of marriage.
Go find out.
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by anukulapo: 8:18am On Nov 29, 2015
vooks:

Tradition once demanded that girls get married at their early teens, undergo genital mutilation, are mere chattels with zero inheritance rights, can be shared among agemates,inherited after being widowed and so forth.

The point is 'traditions' are not static and are constantly changing. Marriage is no exception and you should not throw fits over this
Please,don't point out this fact. It is hard for people to swallow.
People like to go with the flow. It make life easy for them; helps them call a burden "light weight"
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by hahn(m): 8:25am On Nov 29, 2015
anukulapo:

Even if you are not married under any tradition (payment of dowry as you suppose), by staying together (cohabiting) for a certain length of time, the law of the land assumes you married. It is the "common law" of marriage.
Go find out.

Is it written in the constitution?
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by vooks: 9:08am On Nov 29, 2015
anukulapo:

Please,don't point out this fact. It is hard for people to swallow.
People like to go with the flow. It make life easy for them; helps them call a burden "light weight"

My broda oo
For this reason I realize that much of the attacks leveled on white weddings are baseless and hypocritical. If boundaries on all these other things have shifted or evaporated altogether, why not the traditional definition of when the marriage begins?
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by johnydon22(m): 1:22pm On Nov 29, 2015
hahn:

When someone says Legal that person is referring to recognition by the political state.

No marriage is legal without prior recognition by the supreme state where the said individual is a citizen of.

So a traditional marriage right is by far a very valid ceremony, but since we are under a supreme political state NIGERIA legality must be in conformity to due recognition by the state.

that is why i mentioned notifying the local tribunal to provide necessary documents required by the state..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by hahn(m): 1:30pm On Nov 29, 2015
johnydon22:

When someone says Legal that person is referring to recognition by the political state.

No marriage is legal without prior recognition by the supreme state where the said individual is a citizen of.

So a traditional marriage right is by far a very valid ceremony, but since we are under a supreme political state NIGERIA legality must be in conformity to due recognition by the state.

that is why i mentioned notifying the local tribunal to provide necessary documents required by the state..

Ok. I was just wondering about the whole thing especially when one puts into consideration the fact that different tribes have different traditional marriage procedures
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by anukulapo: 4:16pm On Nov 30, 2015
hahn:

Is it written in the constitution?
Well,I sincerely do not know if it is written there or not.
Re: Is White Wedding Not Just A Ceremony. by tpiadotcom: 4:20pm On Nov 30, 2015
Niceman4u:

this question has been asked too many times here for you to open another thread about it.

ask your elders at home, what obtains in your family?

(1) (Reply)

What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? / Prayer Is The Cause Of Nigeria's Backwardness! / Albino And Esu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.