Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? (1553 Views)

My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist / Absence From Court: TB Joshua Speaks After Failing To Be At The Court / My Fellow Agnostic And Atheist, What If We Got It All Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 29, 2015
undecided You know those lawyers always ask if someone is a Christian or a Muslim, and then they hand over either the bible or the quran to me depending on my religion, what if I told them I was agnostic atheist?

Will I swear in the name of logic and reasoning?

Ok something like this: "I swear in the name of logic and reasoning, the foundation from which evolution and the big bang theory was built, that every information I give here is true!" grin grin

Those lawyers got no chill cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by menesheh(m): 9:15am On Nov 29, 2015
First of all, what does agnostic atheism got to do with swearing with evolution, logic and reasoning, big bang etc. Are you planning to do science in the courtroom. Those are science materials that is not tied to only atheists but to theists as well. Propounders of those things are theists and atheists alike.

I hope you must be cracking some Sunday morning jokes.

Second being that since swearing in the court is a conventional and lawful practice in the Nigerian judicial system, you can pick any stuff presented to you and do the needful. Afterall swearing doesn't prevent people from lying.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by Nobody: 9:22am On Nov 29, 2015
menesheh:
First of all, what does agnostic atheism got to do with swearing with evolution, logic and reasoning, big bang etc. Are you planning to do science in the courtroom. Those are science materials that is not tied to only atheists but to theists as well. Propounders of those things are theists and atheists alike.

I hope you must cracking some Sunday morning jokes.

Second being that since swearing in the court is a conventional and lawful practice in the Nigerian, you can pick any stuff presented to you and do the needful. Afterall swearing doesn't prevent people from lying.

Calm down and go through the post again, for better understanding.

"Wht if I told them I was Agnostic atheist?" What will they ask me to swear to?
Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by onetrack(m): 9:24am On Nov 29, 2015
You simply 'affirm' that you will be truthful. No book needed, or swearing. There are even some Christian groups who refuse to swear on the Bible.

1 Like

Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 29, 2015
Dapo777:

Calm down and go through the post again, for better understanding.

"Wht if I told them I was Agnostic atheist?" What will they ask me to swear to?
must u logic on evrything?
Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 29, 2015
stardragon:

must u logic on evrything?

undecided
Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 29, 2015
onetrack:
You simply 'affirm' that you will be truthful. No book needed, or swearing. There are even some Christian groups who refuse to swear on the Bible.

Ohhh ok. I tot it was compulsory for someone to swear
Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by ministeriallist: 10:10am On Nov 29, 2015
Swear by bible or Quran because Nigerians are generally either Christians or muslims and if you must convince them you must swear by either of their holy books
Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by onetrack(m): 11:34am On Nov 29, 2015
Dapo777:

Ohhh ok. I tot it was compulsory for someone to swear

You can tell them this: "But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King." ~Jesus, in Matthew 5:34-5

The Quakers (a Christian sect) follow this teaching and will not swear by god or on a Bible.

I am atheist as well.

1 Like

Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by LordReed(m): 12:11pm On Nov 29, 2015
Dapo777:
undecided You know those lawyers always ask if someone is a Christian or a Muslim, and then they hand over either the bible or the quran to me depending on my religion, what if I told them I was agnostic atheist?

Will I swear in the name of logic and reasoning?

Ok something like this: "I swear in the name of logic and reasoning, the foundation from which evolution and the big bang theory was built, that every information I give here is true!" grin grin

Those lawyers got no chill cheesy

I don't think they'd ask you to swear by anything except to swear that you'd tell the truth.

1 Like

Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by Nobody: 12:06am On Nov 30, 2015
onetrack:

You can tell them this: "But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King." ~Jesus, in Matthew 5:34-5

The Quakers (a Christian sect) follow this teaching and will not swear by god or on a Bible.

I am atheist as well.
Alright
Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by Nobody: 12:07am On Nov 30, 2015
LordReed:

I don't think they'd ask you to swear by anything except to swear that you'd tell the truth.
Okay smiley
Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by plaetton: 7:38am On Nov 30, 2015
LordReed:

Not in Nigeria o.
Our secular Constitution is just lip service.

No government form give options for an alternative religious beliefs other than Christianity or Islam.

Besides that, knowing the moral antecedents of these two religions, it is not surprising that we expected to swear by then in court or while taking political office.

The system that offers us these stone-age books to swear are not, I repeat, are NEVER expecting us to be TRUTHFUL.

Now, if on the other hand, we were all compelled to swear by our ancestral spirits, our ancestry gods by chewing kolanut as oath, then I guarantee that we would have more honestly and more fear in the laws of our society.

2 Likes

Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by LordReed(m): 2:44pm On Nov 30, 2015
plaetton:

Not in Nigeria o.
Our secular Constitution is just lip service.

No government form give options for an alternative religious beliefs other than Christianity or Islam.

Besides that, knowing the moral antecedents of these two religions, it is not surprising that we expected to swear by then in court or while taking political office.

The system that offers us these stone-age books to swear are not, I repeat, are NEVER expecting us to be TRUTHFUL.

Now, if on the other hand, we were all compelled to swear by our ancestral spirits, our ancestry gods by chewing kolanut as oath, then I guarantee that we would have more honestly and more fear in the laws of our society.

And why do you think that would be more effective?
Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 30, 2015
LordReed:

some people do believe more in the ruthlessness of these spirit.

some people actually believe that people who are killed by thunder are thieves who have been hunted down by sango. the yorubaic thor.

the fear is stronger there.

1 Like

Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:08pm On Nov 30, 2015
I was in a court sometimes ago and saw someone swearing by the law. The person came in as a witness to a case and i assumed he is a lawyer or a law professional. Law became a deity automatically with a system which has become an institution coupled with lord, sacred book and others.

Can we then categorically assume Law is God?

1 Like

Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by dalaman: 6:25pm On Nov 30, 2015
Nigerians have been swearing using these story books (bible and Koran) since independence with nothing to show for it. Our corrupt leaders and followers alike all use these mythical books to swear while stealing and destroying each other always. Nigerians should stop swearing, since swearing has not made the nation better in anyway.

1 Like

Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by plaetton: 7:07pm On Nov 30, 2015
LordReed:

The fear factor.

Ancestral gods are believed to be unforgiving.

Compare that to the Christian god, who can whitewash you any time, no matter the moral malfeasance.
Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by LordReed(m): 12:57am On Dec 01, 2015
@pleaton @Dapo777

Confirmed from a barrister no need to swear by anything, you simply affirm to speak the truth.

1 Like

Re: As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? by jayriginal: 10:18am On Dec 01, 2015
FOLYKAZE:
I was in a court sometimes ago and saw someone swearing by the law. The person came in as a witness to a case and i assumed he is a lawyer or a law professional. Law became a deity automatically with a system which has become an institution coupled with lord, sacred book and others.

Can we then categorically assume Law is God?

You are a one track record. A broken one at that. Everything is God to you.

Nobody swears by the law. You swear by the bible, quran or by iron. Anything else is an affirmation. Take it from someone who knows.

(1) (Reply)

Muslim Migrants Destroy Christmas Tree In Italy (video) / John Wycliffe And Jehovah’s Witnesses Today / How Could This Be; 4 Days Counted In Creation Before Sun Was Created?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.