Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,093 members, 7,818,281 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Why Do Women Fake Orgasms? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Do Women Fake Orgasms? (625 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Women Fake Orgasms? by khalhokage(m): 6:55pm On Nov 30, 2015
A team of psychologists from Oakland University have attempted to uncover the cognitive reasons behind fake orgasms, and have gone as far as to create the Reasons for Pretending Orgasm Inventory (RPOI) from their findings. This list of 63 motives for women to falsify their sexual enjoyment can be divided into three basic sub-categories: Improve Partner’s Sexual Experience, Deception and Manipulation, and Hiding Sexual Disinterest.

The data builds on pre-existing theories which suggest that women may pretend to climax as a mate-retention strategy, indicating that while this need does drive such behavior to an extent, there are also a number of other motivations for doing so. For instance, factors related to Deception and Manipulation – which include reasons such as “I am insecure because I do not have orgasms,” and “I am planning to use the faked orgasm to get back at my partner for something” – reveal that fabricated pleasure can serve a number of hidden purposes.

To conduct the study – which appeared earlier this year in the journal Evolutionary Psychology – researchers generated a list of 303 reasons why a woman may fake an orgasm, before whittling this down to 95 based on literature searches and suggestions from colleagues. Two hundred and eighty-six women were then recruited to rate how frequently each reason applied to their own experiences, helping the researchers to create the final RPOI. This, the study claims, is “useful as a structured means for assessing women’s reasons for pretending orgasm.”

After taking part in the study, participants were then asked to complete a demographic survey called the Mate Retention Inventory (MRI), which seeks to determine the frequency with which certain mate-retention strategies are performed. Researchers noted that, on the whole, scores obtained using the RPOI could be used to predict overall scores on the MRI, revealing that the desire to maintain a relationship is indeed a key driver of faked orgasms. This particularly relates to those reasons which fall into the category of Improving Partner’s Sexual Experience, such as “I want to appear sexier for my partner.”

When it comes to real orgasms, meanwhile, scientists have come up with a number of theories as to why women experience moments of climax during sexual intercourse. Among these is the idea that the contraction of the peristaltic muscles produces an “upsuck” effect, decreasing the amount of sperm lost in “flowback” and thus increasing the likelihood of successful fertilization. However, regardless of the true function of the genuine female orgasm, it seems that the false orgasm may also serve a number of vital purposes relating to the regulation and manipulation of sexual relationships. This may explain some of the findings generated by a number of other
studies, which indicate that around half of all women report faking an orgasm at some point in their lives.

Iflscience
Re: Why Do Women Fake Orgasms? by MightySparrow: 9:43am On Dec 04, 2015
since you post this in Science and Technology section, I am test ruining a true Orgasm detecting machine. to be ready for sale in 2900 A. D
Re: Why Do Women Fake Orgasms? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 05, 2015
They fake orgasm so as not to hurt your feelings, OP.

(1) (Reply)

Video Call On Whatsapp / See This Candle Powered Fan / Nikola Tesla And Raji Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.