Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,858 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Agonistic/atheist Vs Gonistic Theist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Agonistic/atheist Vs Gonistic Theist (722 Views)

Ex-theists/atheists, How Did You View Atheists When You Were A Theist? / I Am No Longer A Theist / Here To Engage Theist God Especially Kingebukasblog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agonistic/atheist Vs Gonistic Theist by ValentineMary(m): 6:32pm On Dec 01, 2015
Hey guys am an agonistic and I like to interact with religiously inclined people to know why they believe what they do even though it is void of reason, proof, and common sense. I used to think it is hell but proper observation has shown that some people are actually deluded and mislead. Theist come out now and tell us your reason and let atheist/agonistic do same let us see who's ideology holds water.
Re: Agonistic/atheist Vs Gonistic Theist by Nobody: 6:55pm On Dec 01, 2015
@op
Please check the meaning of agonist

Or define it.
Re: Agonistic/atheist Vs Gonistic Theist by johnydon22(m): 8:21pm On Dec 01, 2015
Pyrrho:
@op
Please check the meaning of agonist

Or define it.
Agnosticism is the position that the existence of God (anyone you have in mind) is unknown in fact or in principle but neither believes or disbelieves the claims abound. .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agonistic/atheist Vs Gonistic Theist by Nobody: 11:37pm On Dec 01, 2015
johnydon22:
Agnosticism is the position that the existence of God (anyone you have in mind) is unknown in fact or in principle but neither believes or disbelieves the claims abound. .
I knew the meaning, but just for the sake of clarification, and wrongly interpreting the op's post.

@johnnydon
Agnostism best describes my position.

I believe you give credit to the theistic argument by assuming the position of an "atheist". Whenever the religious folks on NL sees an atheistic claim, they tend present further arguments for their God-claims.

I think it's better not to say, "there is no God". If a person claims there is no God, someone else would try to show reasons, evidence, or proofs for the existence of God.

It is best to admit that no one knows anything tangible or substantial either by proofs, and reasons to support the existence of God.

I'm not saying there is no God... No one has any good reason to believe there is a God.
Re: Agonistic/atheist Vs Gonistic Theist by johnydon22(m): 11:55pm On Dec 01, 2015
Pyrrho:
I knew the meaning, but just for the sake of clarification, and wrongly interpreting the op's post.

@johnnydon
Agnostism best describes my position.

I believe you give credit to the theistic argument by assuming the position of an "atheist". Whenever the religious folks on NL sees an atheistic claim, they tend present further arguments for their God-claims.

I think it's better not to say, "there is no God". If a person claims there is no God, someone else would try to show reasons, evidence, or proofs for the existence of God.

It is best to admit that no one knows anything tangible or substantial either by proofs, and reasons to support the existence of God.

I'm not saying there is no God... No one has any good reason to believe there is a God.
[b]

I find these two positions Gnostic theism and Gnostic atheism to be based sorely on Emotion than skeptical deductions....

While a Gnostic Theists asserts to know for sure God exists (without evidence as we all know) a Gnostic Atheists asserts to know for sure God does not exist..

Such absolute assertions to me is all but factual, it is based mostly on the emotional tilt of the person on the subject..

I treat the "God" postulation as a hypothesis, this is personal to me..

I find it a naive impression but i do not make absolute assertions like "There is no God" rather i use "I don't believe there is"

I am an agnostic atheist..
This position is that if God exists (any of them you have in mind) it is unknown in principle or currently in fact (Agnostic) But of all the claims about God around i disbelieve all because they are mostly results of a very naive world view and in many ways takes a very implausible and preposterous tilt.

So the difference between I (agnostic atheist) and someone who is plain Agnostic (like you have identified)

Is that while we both treat God thesis as a hypothesis, You neither believe or disbelieve any of the claims.

While i neither believe any of the claims but i disbelieve all of them due to lack of evidence and the fact nothing suggests it to be anymore than wishful thinking.

Theists most times mistake Atheism to predominantly mean Gnostic atheism...
[/b]

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agonistic/atheist Vs Gonistic Theist by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 02, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]

I find these two positions Gnostic theism and Gnostic atheism to be based sorely on Emotion than skeptical deductions....

While a Gnostic Theists asserts to know for sure God exists (without evidence as we all know) a Gnostic Atheists asserts to know for sure God does not exist..

Such absolute assertions to me is all but factual, it is based mostly on the emotional tilt of the person on the subject..

I treat the "God" postulation as a hypothesis, this is personal to me..

I find it a naive impression but i do not make absolute assertions like "There is no God" rather i use "I don't believe there is"

I am an agnostic atheist..
This position is that if God exists (any of them you have in mind) it is unknown in principle or currently in fact (Agnostic) But of all the claims about God around i disbelieve all because they are mostly results of a very naive world view and in many ways takes a very implausible and preposterous tilt.

So the difference between I (agnostic atheist) and someone who is plain Agnostic (like you have identified)

Is that while we both treat God thesis as a hypothesis, You neither believe or disbelieve any of the claims.

While i neither believe any of the claims but i disbelieve all of them due to lack of evidence and the fact nothing suggests it to be anymore than wishful thinking.

Theists most times mistake Atheism to predominantly mean Gnostic atheism...
[/b]
I'm glad that we are having this discussion because your reputation on this forum has grown to be that of an absolute atheist.

But from your statements above, you have successfully proved your stance on the matter, at least to me.

I'll just say we, "agnostic atheists", are not atheist(those who say "there is no God" ). But we hold that all God-claims have not, or cannot be substantiated with evidences.

Re: Agonistic/atheist Vs Gonistic Theist by johnydon22(m): 12:01pm On Dec 02, 2015
Pyrrho:
I'm glad that we are having this discussion because your reputation on this forum has grown to be that of an absolute atheist.
[b] Lol.. i have always made my stance on this forum naked to be Agnostic atheism..

But from your statements above, you have successfully proved your stance on the matter, at least to me.

I told you theists always put every atheist in one bag of gnosticism. . . My stance is based sorely on skepticism and so i find no reason to make absolute gnostic assertions, that would mean emotion and not skeptical notion.

I'll just say we, "agnostic atheists", are not atheist(those who say "there is no God" ). But we hold that all God-claims have not, or cannot be substantiated with evidences.
[/b]

We are pure atheists because we lack or disbelieve all the God claims around but yet treat such claims as a hypothetical one just as we cannot say absolutely there there is no winter fairy causing snow.. wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Agonistic/atheist Vs Gonistic Theist by ValentineMary(m): 3:19pm On Dec 02, 2015
I am still waiting for the gonistic theist to come around. I realised that most of them don't even study and that is why they have very little knowledge of things.

(1) (Reply)

Annual Akwa Ibom State Government Carols Festival / Bible Scholars..pls Did God Create Adam And Eve From Dust At The Same Time? / 7 Pharaohs That Must Die In Your Life B4 U Can Progress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.