Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,809 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

The Wordpress Developer Thread - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Wordpress Developer Thread (1693 Views)

Young Wordpress Developer Living In Ikeja / Wordpress Developer Needed / Understanding The Wordpress Theme Template Hierarchy – Tutsplus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Wordpress Developer Thread by deondazy(m): 6:09am On Dec 05, 2015
Hello, Good Morning and welcome to the NairaLand WordPress Developer Thread, in here I'll take the honor of explaining all your questions about WordPress Themes and Plugin development, I'll give relevant links to my Web Development, Web Design, Graphic Design and WordPress tutorials blog where necessary and hope that we learn a thing or two from each other.

To start with here's a post on how to generate an XML Sitemap in WordPress without using a plugin

Here is another on how to add custom pagination to your WordPress Theme

This are all for educational purposes and I hope it helps somebody.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Wordpress Developer Thread by Nobody: 8:15am On Dec 05, 2015
Hehehehehe this will be fun. Evil smiley
Re: The Wordpress Developer Thread by talk2hb1(m): 5:13pm On Dec 05, 2015
pcguru1:
Hehehehehe this will be fun. Evil smiley
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Wordpress Developer Thread by Nobody: 9:27am On Dec 06, 2015
talk2hb1:

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I want to see the type of advice given in terms of Wordpress development, obviously am sure you know why .
Re: The Wordpress Developer Thread by Standing5(m): 11:25am On Dec 06, 2015
Pls OP, what's d difference between WordPress theme and template?
Re: The Wordpress Developer Thread by talk2hb1(m): 12:03pm On Dec 06, 2015
pcguru1:

I want to see the type of advice given in terms of Wordpress development, obviously am sure you know why .
Cant Wait to see what wink
Re: The Wordpress Developer Thread by CRAZYMADMAN(m): 12:15pm On Dec 06, 2015
Supposing I want to go into WordPress theme development ( I might), what are the tools/frameworks that're available that one can use so as to reduce the development time and also reduce the codes that needs to be written?
Re: The Wordpress Developer Thread by deondazy(m): 12:46am On Dec 09, 2015
CRAZYMADMAN:
Supposing I want to go into WordPress theme development ( I might), what are the tools/frameworks that're available that one can use so as to reduce the development time and also reduce the codes that needs to be written?

You don't need any framework to develop WordPress themes, get wamp or xampp (I use xampp) get WordPress from wordpress.org find a good text editor (I use sublime text) and develop locally. For starters look into the default themes that comes with WordPress to see how things are set up... check codex.wordpress.org for functions reference

You need to know HTML, CSS and PHP to develop themes for WordPress jQuery to add some cool.

If you're not already a developer already read about which programming language you should learn first and start with

cheers.
Re: The Wordpress Developer Thread by CRAZYMADMAN(m): 9:21am On Dec 11, 2015
deondazy:

You don't need any framework to develop WordPress themes, get wamp or xampp (I use xampp) get WordPress from wordpress.org find a good text editor (I use sublime text) and develop locally. For starters look into the default themes that comes with WordPress to see how things are set up... check codex.wordpress.org for functions reference

You need to know HTML, CSS and PHP to develop themes for WordPress jQuery to add some cool.

If you're not already a developer already read about which programming language you should learn first and start with

cheers.

You seem to mistake me for someone just starting out with web development. I could probably develop a few wordpress themes given enough time, however, time is what i do not have. Am just curious as to whether there are resources, libraries, etc that would help out with some functionalities so I don't have to code all the functionalities that I might need
Re: The Wordpress Developer Thread by talk2hb1(m): 10:50am On Dec 11, 2015
CRAZYMADMAN:

You seem to mistake me for someone just starting out with web development. I could probably develop a few wordpress themes given enough time, however, time is what i do not have. Am just curious as to whether there are resources, libraries, etc that would help out with some functionalities so I don't have to code all the functionalities that I might need
You can quickly create a custom theme from most WordPress theme out there.
All you need to do is create a child theme from the parent theme, and customise the child theme to your taste. You will even enjoy the benefit of updating the parent theme without losung your work on the chikd theme. Example of wordpress fremework theme is the 2013-15 theme.
Re: The Wordpress Developer Thread by babatope88(m): 12:31pm On Dec 11, 2015
CRAZYMADMAN:
. You can use underscore _S or root. I assume that what you mean is stater theme, if yes google search "Wordpress stater theme".
Re: The Wordpress Developer Thread by Metalzoa: 4:04am On Dec 14, 2015
CRAZYMADMAN:

WordPress guy here.

It's a lot easier to start from scratch and fill in your gaps with plugins than to start with a theme and disable the functionality you don't need.

Build your site like it's a normal site then leverage wp plugin ecosystem to fill in your gaps.
Re: The Wordpress Developer Thread by deondazy(m): 10:18pm On Jan 28, 2016
Sorry guys, I've been away offline for a while, now I'm back... smiley
Any questions on WordPress Theme Developmnent??
Re: The Wordpress Developer Thread by deondazy(m): 6:48am On Jan 30, 2016
Good Morning guys, be sure to keep an eye out for the new series on How to create a WordPress Theme from scratch starting tomorrow @ Tutsdose

Have a great day.

(1) (Reply)

75 Media Player - Lets Make It Happen / Must Everything Go The Web Way? / Android, React JS And Angular JS Developers Needed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.