Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,374 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? (24735 Views)

Paul Enenche Slams Femi Adesina Over ‘Land For Life Comment’ / Implications Of Alien Life On Religions (discussion) / How You Can Discover Your Purpose On Earth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by vooks: 8:29pm On Dec 05, 2015
Good evening Amateur Septic(sic)

it's so obvious that I really hate saying it.
It's also so obvious that Hawking, Dawkin and EVERYBODY talks about it.
Sadly, most downplay this for reasons known best to themselves.

Specifically, I want to pick your brains on Multiverse Theory
1. What are your views on this relatively new attempt at explaining away fine-tuning?
2. Do you have alternative spins?

You can start here if multiverse is a vocabulary grin
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/dec/10-sciences-alternative-to-an-intelligent-creator
Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by davien(m): 4:20am On Dec 06, 2015
Funny how the criteria for determining intelligently designed systems is not given but largely ignored as the assumption itself is all that is needed...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by vooks: 4:38am On Dec 06, 2015
davien:
Funny how the criteria for determining intelligently designed systems is not given but largely ignored as the assumption itself is all that is needed...
I have seen your moniker peeping about, it's good to know you have discovered your voice after an extended leave. Hoping you are well my broda.

I just wrote this on a sandy beach. Supposing you came across it and you never saw me writing it, what criteria would you use to conclude it was intelligence behind it and not some random waves?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by jayriginal: 5:46am On Dec 06, 2015
“This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.”

Douglas Adams

6 Likes

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by vooks: 6:33am On Dec 06, 2015
jayriginal:
“This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.”

Douglas Adams

Like I said, downplaying it is essentially diversionary.

The analogy has long been dismantled. Check

Refuting the Puddle Analogy
AUGUST 3, 2013 BY JASON PETERSEN

Written by Jason Petersen

Updated: 11/23/15

Introduction

The puddle analogy is an analogy that was developed by an atheist named Douglas Adams as a response to teleological arguments. Teleological arguments are arguments concerning the fine tuning of the universe or other things such as the complexity of living organisms.

The Analogy

Douglas Adams wrote:

“Imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, “This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn’t it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!” This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it’s still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything’s going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.”

Now, the puddle analogy was developed to show what Douglas saw as a short coming of teleological arguments. It is more of a satirical and rhetorical analogy so to speak. I am going to briefly lay out some of the issues with the argument.

Specified Complexity

What is complexity? It is quite common for people to conflate (confuse) the word “complex” with “complicated.” Complexity involves something that has multiple interrelated parts. The Christian can point to scientific data to show that 30+ constants that are independent of the laws of nature falling into the range that allow for life to exist is not only implausible, but rather, statistically impossible. If any of these 30+ constants were off, life would not be able to exist.

Lack of Good Reasons to Accept the Desired Implication of the Analogy

If one were to claim that the universe was not fine tuned for the existence of life, they ought to be able to give us some good reasons for thinking that the universe is not fine tuned for the existence of life. Alas, no reasons are given in the puddle analogy. Atheists will just say “Humans think the same thing as the puddle does in the analogy and it’s rather silly.” But why? What good reasons are there to think that it is silly? Just claiming it is silly and trying to ignore all of the data that suggests the universe is fine tuned for life is not going to be enough to convince anyone that the thought is silly. There are better, more concrete reasons to accept that the universe is fine tuned for the existence of life than to accept that it isn’t fine tuned for the existence of life. False bravado gets the atheist nowhere!

Bad Analogy

We just talked about specific complexity. Read the analogy again and notice that the puddle analogy fails to address specific complexity. Rather, all it does is appeal to the naturalistic presupposition that “it just so happens that life is able to exist because the constants are where they should be to permit life.” By assuming that the universe is the similar to the puddle, the atheist effectively begs the question, for he is simply assuming what he is trying to argue.

Further, the analogy is weak. The hole symbolizes the universe and the puddle symbolizes humanity. However, the hole does not have specified complexity in the instance of this analogy. Further, there is no evidence given that the universe is anything like the puddle other than a mere assertion of “the universe/puddle can support life/water because that is just the way it is.” An unbeliver would never let a Christian assert something without basis, therefore, we have no reason to allow them to assert such a argument without proof.

Bad Logic

As was briefly mentioned earlier, the analogy is a bare assertion. Arguing for the analogy will involve assuming what one is trying to argue.

Conclusion

In light of what has been discussed in this article, some philosophical nuances must be kept in mind. First, scientific data is tentative so we should never argue that the data concerning the fine tuning of the universe allows us to prove that God exists. This is because the scientific method is incapable of proving anything. What the Christian should instead argue is that there are propositions (such as the data concerning the fine tuning of the universe) that are consistent with what has already been revealed in scripture. In contrast, the believer has no frame of reference in which to derive the notion that there is data in science that corresponds with their position. Where would the unbeliever start? Induction cannot lead to knowledge, and if there is no knowledge, how can the unbeliever say that they have data that supports their position? 1

Objections

Atheists have also attempted to defend the puddle analogy against the arguments that were given in this article. This is a list of them along with this author’s responses.

Objection: Organisms, like puddles, are constantly being eliminated, which suggests that the world is not designed to keep them alive.

Response: The objector assumes the intentions of the creator, but the objector has no way of knowing the creator’s intentions. Why is the atheist assuming that the universe was created to sustain all life on a permanent basis? Clearly, the Bible disagrees with this atheist’s assumption (Ecclesiastes 12:7). And certainly, death is a central part of the Gospel (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18). Since the objector has no way of knowing (or having any idea) what the Creator’s intentions are, the objection is insufficient.

Objection: Puddles conform to holes, due to the natural properties of a liquid; these holes are not intentionally designed in order to store volumes of water that have a certain shape and size. In other words, puddles are forced to fit in holes. Likewise, life has evolved to survive and reproduce within the conditions on earth, due to descent with modification. The earth probably was not made to suit our needs, especially considering the persistent struggle for survival among living organisms. The earliest forms of life did not have all of the same requirements for survival that modern organisms have. What happened was, as life evolved, some species took advantage of natural resources that gave them a competitive advantage over other species. Eventually this led life to develop a dependence on these resources present in the environment. Now, after the fact, it seems as though the environment could have been intelligently designed with the knowledge that it would allow life as we know it to exist, when in actuality life was forced by selective pressures to fit these conditions.

Response: There is a lot of question begging in this objection. How does the atheist know that puddles are not designed? God is directly behind all of the forces that are at work in this universe. God decreed that puddles form on earth on lower levels of ground just as he decreed that streams, rivers, lakes, bays, and oceans form. The forces that causes puddles to stay in place are of God himself. The objector is merely assuming that puddles form due to natural causes, but the objector has no way of demonstrating this claim. The Christian epistemology is informed by scripture. 2 Christians have a frame of reference in which they can show that the data in science (concerning the delicate balance that is needed to allow for life) is consistent with the propositions that are revealed to us in scripture. The objector may accuse the Christian of begging the question, but if the objector wishes to complain, he ought to stop begging the question.

Insofar as the appeals to a naturalistic evolution is concerned, science is not able to lead to knowledge. See this article for a a superior philosophy on science.

Footnotes:

1. In induction, even if the premises are true, the conclusion can still be false. Therefore, the induction cannot produce truth, and if there is no truth, there can be no propositions that are consistent with the unbeliever’s own position.

2. See Gordon H. Clark’s book, “A Christian View of Men and Things” for a more detailed explanation of Christian epistemology.

Notes:

[url==http://answersforhope.org/destroying-the-puddle-analogy/]Source[/url]

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by malvisguy212: 10:19am On Dec 06, 2015
vooks:

I have seen your moniker peeping about, it's good to know you have discovered your voice after an extended leave. Hoping you are well my broda.

I just wrote this on a sandy beach. Supposing you came across it and you never saw me writing it, what criteria would you use to conclude it was intelligence behind it and not some random waves?

they probably will say "it a luck" or the law of nature wrote it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by vooks: 10:53am On Dec 06, 2015
malvisguy212:
they probably will say "it a luck" or the law of nature wrote it.
cheesy cheesy

Luck my foot!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 06, 2015
Truly, a little knowledge is a bad thing.
Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by Judas2013: 12:11pm On Dec 06, 2015
vooks:
Good evening Amateur Septic(sic)

it's so obvious that I really hate saying it.
It's also so obvious that Hawking, Dawkin and EVERYBODY talks about it.
Sadly, most downplay this for reasons known best to themselves.

Specifically, I want to pick your brains on Multiverse Theory
1. What are your views on this relatively new attempt at explaining away fine-tuning?
2. Do you have alternative spins?

You can start here if multiverse is a vocabulary grin
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/dec/10-sciences-alternative-to-an-intelligent-creator

1 Like

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by vooks: 12:27pm On Dec 06, 2015
Judas2013:

Fool,you are not creative

1 Like 1 Share

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by Mickey7(m): 1:31pm On Dec 06, 2015

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:53pm On Dec 06, 2015

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by vooks: 1:55pm On Dec 06, 2015
SirWere:
Truly, a little knowledge is a bad thing.
Yessir
And silence makes everyone mistake you for a genius

2 Likes

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 06, 2015
@op. Why is everything finetuned for I-pads?

1 Like

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 3:59pm On Dec 06, 2015
timonski:

doG did it
I don't know how but he did

2 Likes

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by vooks: 4:23pm On Dec 06, 2015
timonski:
It is the iPad that is fine tuned for me and not the other way round. The reason it is fine tuned is because it was DESIGNED for use by intelligent primates like myself. I have an iPad Air and I want to give it away and upgrade to Air 2.

1 Like

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by vooks: 4:29pm On Dec 06, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:

doG did it
I don't know how but he did
Steve Jobs and his gang did it. Now m0ron, please find a better place to piss and blaspheme

1 Like

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 06, 2015
Its because things evolved in the earth so there is a natural fine tuning.
Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 4:52pm On Dec 06, 2015
vooks:

Steve Jobs and his gang did it. Now m0ron, please find a better place to piss and blaspheme

steve jobs is dead
dead people don't do
only doG can do and undo

1 Like

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by vooks: 5:45pm On Dec 06, 2015
Dnacode:
Fine tuning is not about animals
Google is your friend but I can help you along

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe
Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:49pm On Dec 06, 2015
Dnacode:

Pls change your username , it actually mocks you because you can't PROPERLY explain the origin of the DNA (assumptions and more assumptions ) when you omit or fail to admit the creation of a designer
Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 5:50pm On Dec 06, 2015
vooks:

Fine tuning is not about animals
Google is your friend but I can help you along

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe

You can fine tune many things
Yesterday I fine tuned my radio and years ago I fine tuned my chat-up technique
Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Dec 06, 2015
meh, man has been deliberating on this issue AFTER a revolution in thinking and abadoning religious constraints. Sadly, there is no answer because

1) No one was present : If earth is destroyed by nuclear wars and aliens come down to these earth and they saw an Apple laptop, They will acknowledge something lived here once. An argument however, might stem by saying "Who created the first laptop?" (we are assuming Apple laptops are the only laptops on earth). There will be many theory and hypothesis but still no proof.

2) Who cares??: Even on Nairaland, there is a little percentage of free thinkers and athiests. Most people find it easy to just go to church every sunday to pray for sins they will commit in the coming week.

Vooks, I have to ask : Are you a christian or an agnostic?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 5:51pm On Dec 06, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Pls change your username , it actually mocks you because you can't PROPERLY explain the origin of the DNA (assumptions and more assumptions ) when you omit or fail to admit the creation of a designer

who designed the designer?
Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:53pm On Dec 06, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:

who designed the designer?

God is uncaused - uncreated . So can you show me how LIFE HAS OR NEEDS NO DESIGNER ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 06, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Did I just say there was no designer?
Or you think evolution is not compatible with a creator?
Nonsense.
Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:08pm On Dec 06, 2015
Dnacode:

Did I just say there was no designer?
Nonsense.

Sorry . I usually assume that evolutionists are atheists because very few are theistic evolutionists
Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by Judas2013: 6:15pm On Dec 06, 2015
vooks:

Fool,you are not creative

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Dec 06, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Sorry . I usually assume that evolutionists are atheists because very few are theistic evolutionists

Both creation and evolution are true.
Its now left for us to factor the two together n see how it all happened.

1 Like

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 6:25pm On Dec 06, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

God is uncaused - uncreated . So can you show me how LIFE HAS OR NEEDS NO DESIGNER ?

Life is uncaused - uncreated . So can you show me how god HAS OR NEEDS NO DESIGNER ?

2 Likes

Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:33pm On Dec 06, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:

Life is uncaused - uncreated . So can you show me how god HAS OR NEEDS NO DESIGNER ?

Hahaha ... God is an entity/being . He has always existed , and continue to exist for ever . He is the creator of life , a miracle worker , a wonderful , excellent God etc . There has never been anything before Him not even NOTHING . The existence of God PRECLUDES infinite regression .

So wow me , show me how life needs or has no designer . Prove to me life is uncaused or uncreated
Re: plaetton, Why Is EVERYTHING Fine-tuned For Life On Earth,multiverses? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:35pm On Dec 06, 2015
[quote author=Judas2013 post=40748613][/quote]

Your signature says : "Learn to think Beyond God ... " There is no precursor before God so your signature is irrational

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Fayose: How Idahosa Converted My Father To A Christian In 1980 Ibadan Crusade‎ / His Pastor Shared His Confidential Information While Preaching / 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.