Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,480 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup (9885 Views)

Fanando Adi Builds A Church In Benue, Donates To NKST Church Ikyoazande / Fanendo Adi Sets Goal Record / Benue Born Star Footballer Fanendo Adi Wins Goal NPOTY 2015 Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by qdot3: 10:30am On Dec 07, 2015
Gud post
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by robosky02(m): 10:35am On Dec 07, 2015
thank you

its Oliseh

i mean we need goal scorers for Super eagles

fako1:

Siasia ke? I guess you wanted to type Oliseh. Person born in 1990 for U23? E possible sha...........only in naija
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by robosky02(m): 10:41am On Dec 07, 2015
Afam4eva:
I know some people are inching to know where in Nigeria he comes from.

He is from Nigeria that enough

but if you want he's state then Benue shikina
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by Middlefinger1: 10:43am On Dec 07, 2015
fako1:

Siasia ke? I guess you wanted to type Oliseh. Person born in 1990 for U23? E possible sha...........only in naija
Is possible, not only in naija. I think there is provision that allows for two or three overage players in the Olympic squad.
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by ElFenomeno1: 10:51am On Dec 07, 2015
robosky02:

Hello siasia, here is another Nigerian that can add bite to the U23 if we qualify for the Olympics
lets go there
No he doesnt look under the age of 23!!!!!
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by ifyan(m): 10:56am On Dec 07, 2015
PERFECT2:
I Love Nigeria no mata wat.
Its d only country where Jesus sends u message on Whatsapp and threatens to kill u if u dont forward it to 10 people.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Kai! My people this na true yarn

1 Like

Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by robosky02(m): 11:01am On Dec 07, 2015
ElFenomeno1:

No he doesnt look under the age of 23!!!!!

not u23 allows 2 over age player at the olympics

also

Oliseh too needs him to solve super eagles goal scoring wahala
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by Ayibaba1: 11:02am On Dec 07, 2015
Fanendo Adi is from Lagos.
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 07, 2015
How old is he again ? This one wey old pass methuselah. See face grin see hand grin see muscle grin Under 23 tongue

Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by robosky02(m): 11:03am On Dec 07, 2015
thank you
Middlefinger1:

Is possible, not only in naija. I think there is provision that allows for two or three overage players in the Olympic squad.
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by ElFenomeno1: 11:06am On Dec 07, 2015
robosky02:

not u23 allows 2 over age player at the olympics

also

Oliseh too needs him to solve super eagles goal scoring wahala

Yes i know, he should be aiming for the senior side, he is definitely way too old to be jostling for a place with the youth sides
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by robosky02(m): 11:11am On Dec 07, 2015
he is just doing his thing jostling for nothing

we need to recommend him to the handlers

Oliseh especially

and maybe even Siasia

cos if they join other countries we will still complain

ElFenomeno1:

Yes i know, he should be aiming for the senior side, he is definitely way too old to be jostling for a place with the youth sides
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by robosky02(m): 11:13am On Dec 07, 2015
didnt you read his profile

he is 25

a super eagle player

but if necessary can play even as one overaged player for the olympics

GreenWhiteGreen:
How old is he again ? This one wey old pass methuselah. See face grin see hand grin see muscle grin Under 23 tongue
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by mondob2k(m): 11:33am On Dec 07, 2015
fako1:

There's room for over age players in U23 Olympic squad.
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by IAMTHEHERO: 11:48am On Dec 07, 2015
AdaNri1:
create a thread and call seun' attention to it. Hopefully the mod won't hide it before seun sees it. Otherwise troll every thread like you're doing now and keep complaining until seun sees it.
Sister, thank you, they have unbanned me.l really apreciate.
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by IAMTHEHERO: 11:49am On Dec 07, 2015
PERFECT2:

1st locate lalasticlacla[I hope I even got d spelin ryt] or the new lai on board VIVIAN GIST.
grin grin grin grin
Bros, thank you they have unbanned me.

1 Like

Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by Darlo22(m): 12:53pm On Dec 07, 2015
Ireporting cost money Real Money.

Post breaking news and get paid monthly

Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by ISpiksDaTroof: 1:25pm On Dec 07, 2015
This old man with a jowl and double chin claims he's 25 years old?

Very funny.

Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 07, 2015
IAMTHEHERO:

Sister, thank you, they have unbanned me.l really apreciate.
that's alright mate cheesy

1 Like

Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by justiz5(m): 10:14pm On Dec 07, 2015
robosky02:

cc: lalasticlala, henoric01
http://mtnfootball.com/news/591551/Nigerias-Adi-clinches-historic-MLS-Cup

Get to know more about Fanen Adi and how his name got changed to Fanendo Adi here....

[b][size=14pt]
Fanendo Adi: Nigeria’s uncapped star on Europe’s big stage
By David Ngobua
[/size]
Before now, only few Nigerian football fans were aware that, in the FC Copenhagen of Denmark team that fell 0-4 to Spanish giants Real Madrid last Wednesday in the UEFA Champions League was a relatively unknown Nigerian football prodigy, Fanendo Adi. His real name is Fanen but as it is common with football stars, he chose to re-christen his name and is now known as Fanendo.
The UEFA Champions league is Europe’s biggest club football competition and is competed for by the best clubs in Europe. Although Nigeria and Africa has produced some of the world’s best players, only few have won the prestigious Cup.
Coming home, it is on record that only three Nigerian stars have the honour of winning the UEFA Champions League. Kanu Nwankwo and Findi George won it with Ajax in 1995. John Mikel Obi is the latest winner of the trophy with Chelsea of England. He won the title in 2011.
Going by the high number of Nigerian players plying their trade in Europe, it would be expected that many of them should be proud winners of the trophy but the fact that only a handful have mounted the podium to be decorated winning the Cup is not a stroll in the park.
The Champions League widely followed by football fans across the globe usually features immensely talented national team players. This means, it is difficult to see a club in the Champions League with a player who has not played for his country’s national team. The stage is usually too big for players who are still learning the trade.
This is where the story of Fanendo Adi is surely going to interest everyone. On Wednesday, the Benue State born football prodigy rubbed shoulders with some of the world’s best football players when he came on as substitute in the Champions League match between Real Madrid and FC Copenhagen. He had his Champions League debut in the 1-1 draw against Italian giants, Juventus. His introduction into the match against Real Madrid opened up chances for the Danish team. Although he did not score, FC Copenhagen’s leading goal scorer in the ongoing season proved that the Santiago Bernabeau stage was not too big for him.
Contrary to reports in some sections of the media that Fanendo is a Nigerian junior international, he has never played for any of the country’s national teams. The closest he came to playing for the country was in 2009 when former international Henry Nwosu was appointed to assemble players for the national U-17 team, the Golden Eaglets. It will be recalled that Nwosu was later relieved of his position just as his successor, Alphonsius Dike. Coach John Obuh who replaced Dike led the Eaglets to a second place finish in the cadet Championship staged by Nigeria.
So Fanendo was among the first batch of players who were invited to camp but he did only four days in Abuja before he was lured away by an agent who took him to Slovakia where his professional football started.
Before then, he was playing for youth football clubs in Gboko, the town made popular by the now defunct BCC Lions FC. In fact the dusty streets of Gboko had produced stars like former international Dominic Iorfa Mtem, the only Tiv athlete to have featured at the Olympics, junior internationals like Aondofa Akosu, Late John Agum, Edward Anyamikegh, Se-ember Mtem, David Tyavkase, Moses Orkuma and a host of others.
Fanendo, son of Coach Adi began his professional career in Club Trencin where he played between 2009-2011. He made 42 appearances and scored 34 goals. In the same year, he played for Metalurh Donetsk in Ukraine where he played nine times and scored a goal. In the same 2011, he played three times for Dynamo Kyiv in the Russian league. He also played nine times for Tavriya Simferopol in Ukraine between 2011 -2012. The lanky Adi returned to FC Trencin where he played 19 times, scoring 10 goals. It was from FC Trencin that Fanendo joined his present club FC Copenhagen in Denmark.
It is also worthy to note that while he sojourned in Europe, Adi attracted the attention of some of Europe’s leading clubs like Ajax of Holland where he was twice invited for trials. Although he is yet to play for his fatherland, Fanendo has already proven that he is ready to rub shoulders with the big boys anywhere in the world.
[/b]
Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by robosky02(m): 9:29am On Dec 08, 2015
justiz5:

Get to know more about Fanen Adi and how his name got changed to Fanendo Adi here....

nice work justiz5

and yet so many nigerian have not even heard of him

1 Like

Re: Fanendo Adi Wins MLS Cup by robosky02(m): 4:38pm On Dec 11, 2015
Nigerian striker Fanendo Adi talks on his history-making MLS championship-winning season with Portland Timbers.

The Interview:

QUESTION: Congratulations on winning the MLS Cup, what does it mean to you?

FANENDO ADI: Thank you. It means a lot to me, my family, the city of Portland, players and everybody who have one thing or the other to do with the club.

Did you actually see your team winning against Columbus Crew when the final was about to start?

Having beaten them in the league, we had the confidence that we could do it again. We knew it was going to be a tough and difficult game and was what we experienced in the game. We worked hard and got the goals.

How was it when the final whistle was sounded and you won?

It was a big win and big moment of our lives. We celebrated the feat overnight in Columbus.

What can you say about the reception in Portland?

On arrival at the airport on Tuesday, it was massive as we were welcomed by thousands of fans. I haven't witnessed such in my life. It was an unbelievable atmosphere. That was a moment the club will forever remember, it was an amazing feeling.

Which moment do you cherished most in all of these?

There were lots of crowd at the parade with lots of police preventing them from getting to us at some points. Seeing big fans following and appreciating us, got tears out of my eyes.

What impact did the Timbers army make on match day?

They made a big impact, they were so loud with their music, louder than the home fans. They confessed we have crazy fans, they kept singing and were heard throughout the game.

What kept the team going throughout the season?

Determination. The way the coach talked to us in the locker room motivated us in some games. He made us believe in ourselves that we can win it. He always let us know that he can't play on the pitch but we have to do that.

Portland Timbers scored early goals against Columbus Crew, was that the plan?

We watched their games, especially against New York City. We countered their play and it worked for us, the goals were scored and that was it.

What can you say about the city of Portland?

Portland is a beautiful city and a home for me. I love everything about this city. It's quiet and I love it that way. It's a lively city too with a lot of distractions but I make sure I am focused. It does rain here and I love rain. Above all the city has given me lots and my first trophy.

What is the wildest thing you have witnessed on the street of Portland?

There are lots - there was a day I was in my car and one guy came dressed in what I can't describe, he knocked at my door window and I laughed. I was scared.

Where is your best restaurant?

I hardly eat outside because my wife is the best cook. We have best food in Nigeria. The best food is pounded yam and Egusi soup.

Where are you planning to have your vacation?

I will go to Hawaii, then go to Nigeria to meet my family.

You scored 19 goals in the just-ended season, any hope on national team call-up?

I am hopeful. I have talked with the coach and he has assured me I will get my time.

This is transfer time, there are rumours of interest from Italy, Mexico, England, what do you have to say on this?

I have been hearing the rumours but there is nothing official yet.

What's your preference for next season?

I still have a contract with Portland Timbers, but we will look into any offers.

What are you doing in College?

I am studying computer science in college here.

What or who inspired you to go to college?

My grandmother inspired me to go to school for the future.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obafemi Martins Retires From Playing For Nigeria / Etim Esin Search In Okochas House Party For Stolen Gsm Phone / Bet9ja Mobile Offerings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.