Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,792 members, 7,820,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

"Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination (1538 Views)

Is it Provocative For Muslims To Call Jesus A "PROPHET" / Which NL Atheist Can Prove Their Mums Existence Is Not A Figment Of Their Mind? / The Story Of Jesus: A Plagiarized Lie Christians Need To Stop Believing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by bytemeister(m): 12:08pm On Dec 07, 2015
The world has been for a long time engaged in writing lives of Jesus.... the library of books has grown since then. But when we come to examine them, one startling fact confronts us: all of the books relate to a personage concerning whom there does not exist a single scrap of contemporary information-not one! by accepted tradition he was born in the reign of AUGUSTUS, the great literary age of the nation of which he was a subject. in the augustan age, historians flourished; poets, orators, critics and travelers abounded, yet not one mentions the name of Jesus Christ, much less any incident in his life.None at all except of course the BIBLE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by Abugab(m): 12:10pm On Dec 07, 2015
And what figment of imagination do you have?
Atop the blasphemy jare
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by johnydon22(m): 12:20pm On Dec 07, 2015
If you ask me my own personal opinion though..

I hold most outstanding figures in ancient antiquities to be real historical figures.

I think Jesus just like i also think Achilles and Odysseus were all real historical figures..

What is glaring in the stories to be fictitious works are the implausible preternatural claims like Achilles' mother was a goddess he couldn't be pierced, Odysseus went to tartarus or Jesus father was a god and strolled on oceans etc..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by bytemeister(m): 12:40pm On Dec 07, 2015
johnydon22:
If you ask me my own personal opinion though..

I hold most outstanding figures in ancient antiquities to be real historical figures.

I think Jesus just like i also think Achilles and Odysseus were all real historical figures..

What is glaring in the stories to be fictitious works are the implausible preternatural claims like Achilles' mother was a goddess he couldn't be pierced, Odysseus went to tartarus or Jesus father was a god and strolled on oceans etc..

August live from 23 September 63 BC – 19 August 14
AD so there is no way he wouldn't have met/heard of Jesus if he(Jesus) actually walked this earth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by johnydon22(m): 12:43pm On Dec 07, 2015
bytemeister:

AD so there is no way he wouldn't have met Jesus if he(Jesus) actually walked this earth

Are you referring to Augustus Caesar?
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by bytemeister(m): 12:56pm On Dec 07, 2015
johnydon22:

sure
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by bytemeister(m): 12:57pm On Dec 07, 2015
johnydon22:

sure
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by johnydon22(m): 1:02pm On Dec 07, 2015
bytemeister:

sure
Augustus Caesar was an Emperor of the Roman empire .. do you know what that meant?

He was like a God among men in Rome.. (Augustus means Divine.. a title held only by gods before)

I doubt if the emperor would travel all the way from rome to the Isreali province of the empire to meet some guy named Jesus.

what business does the emperor have with a lower class citizen as one from a conquered province..

This is like saying why Buhari didn't meet you... (Emperor holds a lot more power and province than just a president..)

The emperor doesn't need meet all his citizens..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by bytemeister(m): 1:13pm On Dec 07, 2015
johnydon22:
Augustus Caesar was an Emperor of the Roman empire .. do you know what that meant?

He was like a God among men in Rome.. (Augustus means Divine.. a title held only by gods before)

I doubt if the emperor would travel all the way from rome to the Isreali province of the empire to meet some guy named Jesus.

what business does the emperor have with a lower class citizen as one from a conquered province..

This is like saying why Buhari didn't meet you... (Emperor holds a lot more power and province than just a president..)

Buhari would sure have heard of/met me if I claimed to be the one and only son of d sky daddy...btw I thought Jesus was crucified in Rome, if he was there's no way Caesar Gaius Octavious wouldn't have known of it

1 Like

Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by bytemeister(m): 1:19pm On Dec 07, 2015
johnydon22:

Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by johnydon22(m): 1:24pm On Dec 07, 2015
bytemeister:

Buhari would sure have heard of/met me if I claimed to be the one and only son of d sky daddy...btw I thought Jesus was crucified in Rome, if he was there's no way Caesar Gaius Octavious wouldn't have known of it

Nope Augustus has officials to look after every province, there is no way he should have heard or even know of it.

what is Pilate's job then?

Israel was under Roman conquest and so was a province of Rome overseen by Pilate.

Augustus Caesar practised traditional roman religion so i doubt if he had any reason to even pay mind to someone claiming to be birthed by Gods.

there was far more important empire business required to have an emperor checking over individuals talk more lower class individuals from conquered provinces..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by neocortex: 1:29pm On Dec 07, 2015
bytemeister:

AD so there is no way he wouldn't have met/heard of Jesus if he(Jesus) actually walked this earth

The only plausible explanation for Augustus not having met jesus will be that
jesus was unknown outside his remote village.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by bytemeister(m): 1:57pm On Dec 07, 2015
johnydon22:

Nope Augustus has officials to look after every province, there is no way he should have heard or even know of it.

what is Pilate's job then?

Israel was under Roman conquest and so was a province of Rome overseen by Pilate.

Augustus Caesar practised traditional roman religion so i doubt if he had any reason to even pay mind to someone claiming to be birthed by Gods.

there was far more important empire business required to have an emperor checking over individuals talk more lower class individuals from conquered provinces..

Assuming Augustus mever met nor heard of him like you said, so there were no poets,critics nor travellers that could document his existence?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by Richirich713: 2:49pm On Dec 07, 2015
bytemeister:

August [b]live from 23 September 63 BC – 19 August 14
AD [/b]so there is no way he wouldn't have met/heard of Jesus if he(Jesus) actually walked this earth

Jesus was born approximately (7–2 BC) and died approximately (30–33 AD)

Why would Augustus want to meet a young jesus who was approximately a teenager ?

Jesus was not famous when he was a teenager , so why would a emperor hear of him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by Richirich713: 3:14pm On Dec 07, 2015
Tiberius Julius Caesar succeeded Augustus after Augustus death, and I'm sure u believe he existed.

Yet u should ask urself why do we have only 10 historical sources( within a 150 years of Tiberius life) that even mention him.

We have only 10 sources that even mentions the existence of the most powerful man during (14–37 AD). And yes the bible is one of those sources , ( see Luke 3:1)

Guess how much sources (within a 150 years of his life) do we have of jesus?

We have forty sources that mention jesus.

40 sources mention a Jewish carpenter while only 10 sources mention the most powerful man in the world at that time.

Conclusion - The historical evidence for jesus existence is very strong , just go ask the historical scholars.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by bytemeister(m): 4:24pm On Dec 07, 2015
Richirich713:
Tiberius Julius Caesar succeeded Augustus after Augustus death, and I'm sure u believe he existed.

Yet u should ask urself why do we have only 10 historical sources( within a 150 years of Tiberius life) that even mention him.

We have only 10 sources that even mentions the existence of the most powerful man during (14–37 AD). And yes the bible is one of those sources , ( see Luke 3:1)

Guess how much sources (within a 150 years of his life) do we have of jesus?

We have forty sources that mention jesus.

40 sources mention a Jewish carpenter while only 10 sources mention the most powerful man in the world at that time.

Conclusion - The historical evidence for jesus existence is very strong , just go ask the historical scholars.

40 sources?? wow that's a first...would you mind naming them?
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by Richirich713: 5:22pm On Dec 07, 2015
bytemeister:

40 sources?? wow that's a first...would you mind naming them?

•John, Paul, author of Hebrews, James,Matthew, Mark, Luke Peter, Jude.

•Apocryphon of John, treatise on resurrection,Gospel of Thomas.

•Josephus, Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, Phlegon, Lucian, Celsus, Mara Bar-Serapion, Suetonius, Thallus.

•Aristo of Pella, Melito of Sardis,Justin Martyr, Aristides ,Clement of Rome, 2 Clement, Ignatius, Polycarp, Martyrdom of Polycarp, Didache, Barnabas, Shepard of Hermes, fragments of Papias, Athenagoras, Theophilus of Antioch Quadratus, Athenagoras, Theophilus of Antioch Quadratus, Dhognetus, Gospel of Peter.

Look at these people and their writings as while as the dating of their writings.

Atheists are clearly very stubborn of the historical evidence for jesus existence, they believe many ancient figures existed based on historical methods used by historical scholars.

But when these same scholars say jesus definitely existed, atheists deny it even tho the evidence for jesus is much stronger than many other ancient historical figures.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by Scholar8200(m): 5:27pm On Dec 07, 2015
And on what basis were the apostles and early christians martyred?
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by PastorAIO: 5:39pm On Dec 07, 2015
There are over 50 sources for Hercule Poirot so he has more existence than Tiberius or Jesus going by the reasoning on this thread.

Scholar8200:
And on what basis were the apostles and early christians martyred?

Please don't change the subject.
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by Richirich713: 5:58pm On Dec 07, 2015
PastorAIO:
There are over 50 sources for Hercule Poirot so he has more existence than Tiberius or Jesus going by the reasoning on this thread.

Hercule Poirot is a fictional Belgian detective, created by Agatha Christie. Poirot is one of Christie's most famous and long-lived characters, appearing in 33 novels, one play (Black Coffee), and more than 50 short stories published between 1920 and 1975.

Historical scholars do not conclude jesus or tiberus were real just because of the number of sources.

They follow historical methods, using the same historical methods that they use for other ancient figures , shows jesus existence is a historical fact, in fact his crucifixion is considered a historical fact by most scholars today.
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by PastorAIO: 6:05pm On Dec 07, 2015
Richirich713:

They follow historical methods, using the same historical methods that they use for other ancient figures , shows jesus existence is a historical fact, in fact his crucifixion is considered a historical fact by most scholars today.

Ehen!! It is these historical methods that I want to see a discussion about. could you lay out some of these for us so that we can examine them.
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by Scholar8200(m): 7:17pm On Dec 07, 2015
PastorAIO:

Please don't change the subject.

That question was meant for the op.
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by joyandfaith: 7:45pm On Dec 07, 2015
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus
the jewish historian of 1st century wrote this about jesus
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by bytemeister(m): 8:11pm On Dec 07, 2015
Richirich713:

•John, Paul, author of Hebrews, James,Matthew, Mark, Luke Peter, Jude.

•Apocryphon of John, treatise on resurrection,Gospel of Thomas.

•Josephus, Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, Phlegon, Lucian, Celsus, Mara Bar-Serapion, Suetonius, Thallus.

•Aristo of Pella, Melito of Sardis,Justin Martyr, Aristides ,Clement of Rome, 2 Clement, Ignatius, Polycarp, Martyrdom of Polycarp, Didache, Barnabas, Shepard of Hermes, fragments of Papias, Athenagoras, Theophilus of Antioch Quadratus, Athenagoras, Theophilus of Antioch Quadratus, Dhognetus, Gospel of Peter.

Look at these people and their writings as while as the dating of their writings.

Atheists are clearly very stubborn of the historical evidence for jesus existence, they believe many ancient figures existed based on historical methods used by historical scholars.

But when these same scholars say jesus definitely existed, atheists deny it even tho the evidence for jesus is much stronger than many other ancient historical figures.

What more could I expect...dude most of those you mentioned here were born after HIS death
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by Richirich713: 8:15pm On Dec 07, 2015
PastorAIO:

Ehen!! It is these historical methods that I want to see a discussion about. could you lay out some of these for us so that we can examine them.

I'm not a historical scholar, and not all historical scholars use the exact same methods, so I'm not gona copy nd paste a essay.

If u want to know history who do u go to?

It obvious u go to those who study history not to the random atheist.
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by Richirich713: 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2015
bytemeister:

What more could I expect...dude most of those you mentioned here were born after HIS death

I never said they weren't, I just made a good point between a carpenter nd a emperor.

Also the fact they were written historically early after his death , they are still valued as good sources.

Many people believe numerous ancient figures existed even if the sources they have is written after their death.

Historians of today are not the only ones who believe he existed, ancient historians such as Josephus and Tacitus also believe he existed.
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by orisa37: 8:37pm On Dec 07, 2015
God is Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding: so the man whose immagination it was that created Jesus 2015 years ago, must be God, The Instructor of Light, The Director of Goodness and The Discernment of Life!!!!
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by bytemeister(m): 11:11pm On Dec 07, 2015
orisa37:
God is Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding: so the man whose immagination it was that created Jesus 2015 years ago, must be God, The Instructor of Light, The Director of Goodness and The Discernment of Life!!!!

Lol wish you knew how ridiculous you sound
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by PastorAIO: 4:22pm On Dec 08, 2015
Richirich713:

I'm not a historical scholar, and not all historical scholars use the exact same methods, so I'm not gona copy nd paste a essay.

If u want to know history who do u go to?

It obvious u go to those who study history not to the random atheist.

You are not an historical scholar, but surely you have been convinced by the scholars and their historical methods (whether they are the same or contradictory). Lay man to Layman, what i ask is that you explain how you in your layman reasoning were convinced of the validity of these historical claims.

It is a false dichotomy you are making between History students and Atheists. They are not mutually exclusive. There are many historians that are atheists too.
Re: "Jesus" A Figment Of Man's Imagination by italo: 5:53am On Dec 09, 2015
bytemeister:

Arrogance in ignorance!

(1) (Reply)

Popular Christian Musician Renounces His Faith & Rejects God / . / Lady Explains Why She Left MFM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.