Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,932 members, 7,828,250 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Nigeria Imports 159 Million Toothbrushes From China - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Imports 159 Million Toothbrushes From China (1082 Views)

10 Ridiculous Things Nigeria Imports That Business Men Can Tap Into For Profit! / Fuel Imports Increase By 78 Million / Shoprite Ibadan Imports Banana And Watermelon From Ghana And SA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Imports 159 Million Toothbrushes From China by segello: 2:02pm On Dec 07, 2015
Nigeria is said to have imported 159 million toothbrushes worth about $9,372,920 from China according to a BBC Report that looked at Chinese exports to Africa in 2014. The report further claims that Nigeria spent a whopping $450,012,993 on the importation of motorbikes from China. That’ s not all!

Nigeria is said to have spent about N1.6 trillion on Chinese Imports in 2014 and another N723.9 billion in the first two quarters of 2015 according to data from the National Bureau of Statistics. Data from China indicates Nigeria has this year (January to October) imported goods valued at about $11.3 billion from China and exported goods and services worth $1 billion. Nigeria is only second to South Africa ($13.6 billion) in imports from China from Africa. Africa’s total imports from China was about $89 billion.

Nigeria is not left out in the thirst for Chinese products in Africa. According to the BBC report

Benin

In 2014, tiny Benin was the continent’s biggest importer of wigs and false beards from China. It purchased Chinese hair pieces worth $411m.

A hefty three million kg (472,400 stone) were taken to Benin, with many of those wigs then whisking their way to neighbouring Nigeria.

South Africa

South Africa was the continent’s biggest importer of Chinese-made male underpants.

Of the 18,747,003 pants imported by South Africa in 2014, 16,612,590 were Chinese – that’s a whopping 88% of South Africa’s imported pants.

Kenya

Kenya was Africa’s biggest importer of plastic Chinese toilet seats in 2014, spending $8,197,499 on the lavatorial thrones.

Togo

China has also been keeping Africa moving. In 2014, Togolese traders spent $193,818,756 on Chinese motorcycles.

Nigeria China trade has been on a steady rise in recent times with loans from Chine fast dominating the share of Nigeria’s debt portfolio for any single country. Nigeria’s debt to China is put at about $1.3 billion. China has also increased its trading activity with Nigeria with coverage extending to manufacturing, road construction, telecoms, power etc. The Chinese Leader, Xi Jinping told African presidents on Friday at a summit in South Africa, that his country would provide $60 billion over three years to fund development on the continent.

The level of imports from China and indeed other countries drives into the very heart of the CBN policies currently in place. Ironically those for devaluation of the naira and those against it agree on one thing; Nigeria’s thirst for imported products needs to be quenched if it is to compete in the global economy and to a larger extent keep the value of its currency in tact. It’s either you devalue to quench that thirst or you tighten controls to kill that thirst. Either way, the consequences are severe.
more on...http://nairametrics.com/nigeria-imports-159-million-toothbrushes-from-china/
Re: Nigeria Imports 159 Million Toothbrushes From China by Meriekriss: 2:03pm On Dec 07, 2015
OP..Nigeria imports everything from China in case you dont know...I think we need to start importing politicians as well as we only have thieves here..

Meanwhile, out of that 159million toothbrushes we import yearly, abeg make una give Tinubu one make im brush teeth biko...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Imports 159 Million Toothbrushes From China by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 07, 2015
Great...yet my teeth is not white and my tongue embarassed
Can someone recommend any brand to achieve this?

Re: Nigeria Imports 159 Million Toothbrushes From China by orlando5: 2:06pm On Dec 07, 2015
Oh thank God, cos my toothbrush is due for change grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Imports 159 Million Toothbrushes From China by MKO4ever(m): 2:07pm On Dec 07, 2015
If we can be importing tooth pick, why will I be surprised to hear we import tooth brush in that quantity

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Imports 159 Million Toothbrushes From China by minasota(f): 2:07pm On Dec 07, 2015
Meriekriss:
OP..Nigeria imports everything from China in case you dont know...I think we need to start importing politicians as well as we only have thieves here..

Meanwhile, out of that 159million toothbrushes we import yearly, abeg make una give Tinubu one make im brush teeth biko...
seconded

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Imports 159 Million Toothbrushes From China by SurefireAsoOke: 2:16pm On Dec 07, 2015
Made in China goods is like MTN; everywhere u go.....

For Aso-Oke, Check my signature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Imports 159 Million Toothbrushes From China by divinehand2003(m): 2:25pm On Dec 07, 2015
The economic growth and development of China is phenomenal and unprecedented. There is market for Chinese goods all over the continent. While other world powers are busy preparing For war, China is making money by doing business everywhere.

1 Like 3 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Lawyers In The House... I Need Your Help! / Central Bank Prints 240 Billion Naira. Interest Rate Crashes. / 5 Strategies For Generating Wealth During Recession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.