Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? (69143 Views)

Closure Of Sachet Water Firms In Kano: 2m Youths To Lose Jobs / Top 100 Best Companies/firms To Work For In Nigeria / The Leading Law Firms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 10:37pm On Jun 01, 2009
Which firms are the top 10 law firms in Nigeria based on:
[1] Prestige (training quality & future prospects) and
[2] Salary (pay after 5 years experience)

Would the following firms feature?

Afe Babalola and Co
Folawiyo Chambers
Gani Fawehinmi Chambers
Babalakin and Co
Blackfriars and Co

Please give a reasonable explanation and figure if you can.

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by viazi: 1:08pm On Jul 02, 2009
Google the following and u will be surprised

Banwo and Ighodalo
Punuka Law Firms
Matrix Solicitors
AELEX
Taiwo & Abdullahi

This are hardcore full service commercial Law firms.

If na election petition try

Yusuf Ali & co
Alex Izinyo & co

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by TCann(m): 3:10pm On Jul 02, 2009
viazi:

Google the following and u will be surprised

Banwo and Ighodalo
Punuka Law Firms
Matrix Solicitors
AELEX
Taiwo & Abdullahi

If na election petition try

Yusuf Ali & co
Alex Izinyo & co

In addition to the highlighted list above-->

Add[b] Aluko and Oyebode (A&O)[/b]

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 3:27pm On Jul 02, 2009
i dont know the top 10 but ive worked with 4 or 5 law firms on the deals ive done

Udo Udoma
Banwo and Ighodalo
Olaniwun Ajayi
Matrix
Jacksonetti&edu

Ive worked with those and i know they are tight

2 Likes

Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 1:13pm On Jul 03, 2009
tkb417:

i dont know the top 10 but ive worked with 4 or 5 law firms on the deals ive done

Udo Udoma
Banwo and Ighodalo
Olaniwun Ajayi
Matrix
Jacksonetti&edu

Ive worked with those and i know they are tight

Ooh, fantastic!!!

When you worked with Banwo and Ighodalo, did you by any chance work with that Funmi Olojo girl that is one of those on their website?

And are you still in contact with her? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 2:18pm On Jul 03, 2009
Ooh, fantastic!!!

When you worked with Banwo and Ighodalo, did you by any chance work with that Funmi Olojo girl that is one of those on their website?

And are you still in contact with her?

Funmi Olojo ke?
no o. are you looking for her? grin

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 4:13pm On Jul 03, 2009
tkb417:

Funmi Olojo ke?
no o. are you looking for her? grin

With her cute pics on the website, that train can land at my terminal anyday. There is enough coal to fire the steam engine to go for a hot, everlasting journey. grin

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 4:21pm On Jul 03, 2009
With her cute pics on the website, that train can land at my terminal anyday. There is enough coal to fire the steam engine to go for a hot, everlasting journey.
hehehe
lemme go check the website and see wht ure talkin about

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 4:29pm On Jul 03, 2009
Saga
i don see the gurl. I know people in that firm well well
some of them were my school mates when i was in OAU and also some of them we run deals together

send am email na, im sure she comes to London very well

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by TCann(m): 6:53pm On Jul 03, 2009
Banwo and Ighodalo
Punuka Law Firms
Matrix Solicitors
AELEX
Taiwo & Abdullahi
Jacksonetti&edu
Udo Udoma
Aluko and Oyebode

It is going to be  most unlikely that as an investment banker on IPO & M&A deals in Nig some yrs ago, one have not worked with these ffg law firms
Most of them featured prominently on those major deals as Solicitors to the offer, or as legal advisers to those coys and banks.

Though,it is difficult to rate them on a top 10 list basis, since most of them av their clients and markets, it depends to a large extent, which circus in the financial arena the law firm partners are romancing with in relation to what deals their firms grap.

Just my little obsevation.

Cheers y'all.
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 12:06pm On Jul 04, 2009
tkb417:

Saga
i don see the gurl. I know people in that firm well well
some of them were my school mates when i was in OAU and also some of them we run deals together

send am email na, im sure she comes to London very well

Wapa! grin grin grin

I forgot to add:

Chief Rotimi Williams Chamber
Ajumogobia & Okeke
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by NobiGod: 2:15am On Jul 05, 2009
Saga

I can't see any beauty there (Banwo and Ighodalo)
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 10:38am On Jul 05, 2009
NobiGod:

Saga

I can't see any beauty there (Banwo and Ighodalo)

Did you check the list of people under 'B&I people'? grin
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by NobiGod: 2:26pm On Jul 05, 2009
[tr]Did you check the list of people under 'B&I people'? Grin[/tr]

I did, and one can't doubt the competence of those guys but for beauty I kept asking. . . .where's the beef?

Lets keeping searching fo the top 10.
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by Consultant(f): 3:00am On Jul 06, 2009
I know Templars is pretty upscale too.

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 12:13pm On Jul 09, 2009
What about Kayode Sofola and Associates His son Kolade is my boy-went to school wit him!
Heard they are pretty big outhere too. . . . 
Ricky Tarfa's firm is reported to be a top notcher isnt it?
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by ty4eva(f): 12:40pm On Jul 09, 2009
Well, i think Afe Babalola and Gani Fawehinmi's chamber should top the list of the Law firms in Nigeria
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by switch47(m): 12:49pm On Jul 09, 2009
how much does these law firms pay??
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 09, 2009
Bleep me sideways, I just saw my secondary school class mate there (Banwo and Ighodalo).
Blimey, Ubanna Amajor don turn to blom blom
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 1:26pm On Jul 09, 2009
ty4eva:

Well, i think Afe Babalola and Gani Fawehinmi's chamber should top the list of the Law firms in Nigeria

Chei, Chineke!!!  

Sweetheart you don't say things like this.

You have to back it up with a reason by stating the qualities you think makes them standout to be the top ones.

If you are a lawyer that has worked in these firms then your approach just damaged their chances of being seen in a good light. Good lawyers give logical reasons to back up their arguments.  undecided
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by mechris: 2:28pm On Jul 09, 2009
Its hard to determine the topmost ten. infact there are many good chambers run by vry young and ebulient lawyers. If u choose to seek their services,ask for their websites.
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by Tmoni(m): 2:29pm On Jul 09, 2009
gone to the website, seen the chick (funmi)

not exactly a miss world,
grin grin

Bisi Omire, Tope Balogun get me vote

Please dnt prosecute me, slow day at the office[s][/s]
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jul 09, 2009
There are a number of good law firms in the country. I heard Gani Fawehinmi chambers is one of the highest paying. Like somebody mentioned, Yusuf Alli should have made enough money from the series of electoral cases he handled since 2003 and 2007 elections. Ditto for the chambers of Akintola Adeniyi and a few other chambers.

In business and commercial law, I think Punuka, Banwo and Ighodalo,Jackson Etti Edu, and Udo udoma hold sway.
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by DrKitaun(m): 4:13pm On Jul 09, 2009
some of u guys are just not current tongue

na by Google shocked

in this scenario, u must first identify who the top notch barristers in the land are

ROTIMI WILLIAMS (though dead now)

G O K AJAYI

Chief Kehinde Sofola

Chief Gani Fawehinmi Senior Advocate of the Masses

Barr Femi Falana

Prof Adesanya

Chief Afe Babalola

Prof Kasunmu

Prof Itse Sagay

new generation; u can start talking about -

Banwo & Ighodalo & co

Yusf Alli and Co

Babalakin and Co

Festus Keyamo and Co

ETC
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by stevenosa(m): 5:03pm On Jul 09, 2009
Hummm, you guys seems to be missing out a name in the list of the top 10, of Legal Firms in the country. Anyone heard of Wole Olanipekun & Co.? Go figure, Do some Research on this legal Icon and see what I mean.
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 5:07pm On Jul 09, 2009
Dr Kitaun:

some of u guys are just not current tongue

na by Google shocked

in this scenario, u must first identify who the top notch barristers in the land are

ROTIMI WILLIAMS (though dead now)
G O K AJAYI

Chief Kehinde Sofola

Chief Gani Fawehinmi Senior Advocate of the Masses
Barr Femi Falana
Prof Adesanya
Chief Afe Babalola
Prof Kasunmu
Prof Itse Sagay

Isnt the highlighted late? I think he his. . . . . .
His son is now looking after the law firm. . . . . . .Called Kayode Sofola and Associates!
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 5:13pm On Jul 09, 2009
i know Bisi too grin
quiet gurl

my homeboi is in tht firm
Ojuawo. maybe he can arrange those chicks for awon boiz grin grin
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by DrKitaun(m): 6:07pm On Jul 09, 2009
MrCrackles:

Isnt the highlighted late? I think he his. . . . . .
His son is now looking after the law firm. . . . . . .Called Kayode Sofola and Associates!

he is late just as the 1st name on that list CHIEF F R A WILLIAMS is late wink but their name lives after them !

stevenosa:

Hummm, you guys seems to be missing out a name in the list of the top 10, of Legal Firms in the country. Anyone heard of Wole Olanipekun & Co.? Go figure, Do some Research on this legal Icon and see what I mean.

Wole Olani who ?

abegiiii . . .u think say e easy to dey talk about top 10 legal practitioners ? undecided
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by Theblessed(f): 6:19pm On Jul 09, 2009
[td]av[/td]
Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 7:00pm On Jul 09, 2009
Tmoni:

gone to the website, seen the chick (funmi)

not exactly a miss world,
grin grin

Please dnt prosecute me, slow day at the office[s][/s]

Who told you I was looking for Miss World?  grin

Abeg, that girl is cute and her looks engage me (gives me an impression you can have a good conversation with her, not some airhead barbie that only wants to read daft magazines about celebrities). She is the type I will like to see a smile on her face on a frequent basis.

And see your mouth.  grin That Bisi Amire is the first you can point to? She looks like one of those UK-suburb raised boarding school girls that were never thought how to present themselves sexily.  tongue

Tope Balogun is kinda nice but I will place Ubanna Amajor and Wola Joseph before her.  cool

Chei, if these girls all get opportunity to read this, we don start office war o!  grin Na short skirt battle next month go be.

2 Likes

Re: Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 7:18pm On Jul 09, 2009
OK, let me put a bit of structure to this rating.

If I was commissioned to assess the strength of law firms and attractiveness to potential employees, this would be the criteria I will use:

Revenue
Why: Bigger revenue suggest strength of the firm overall

No of SAN & Judges associated with firm (Current staff and Alumnis)
Why: Demonstrates their human development quality and the quality of people (in the profession) they are connected to

Peer review
Why: Admiration by your competitors suggest prestige status

Size of practice (i.e. number of employees)
Why: The bigger the size, the more chance it is not a one-man firm and it is solid operation, hence better opportunity to establish yourself

Remuneration (special focus on salary at intake and after 5-10 years in practice)
Why: Suggests ability to attract and retain quality lawyers, and the regards they have for junior staff. Also it is a place to obtain two of the key attractiveness of work: money and appreciation

No of Big Cases/Deals mandated with (Based on Top 20 civil and commercial cases/deals each year)
Why: Suggests high profile and quality of cases employees work and cut their teeth on (something for the CV)

No of partners per employee
Why: Suggests progression opportunities, which can be correlated with meritious culture. That it is not a case of monkey work, baboon chop

Employee training programme
Why: Suggests opportunity for, and emphasis the firm places on, staff development

No of offices (extra marks for having operations outside Nigeria)
Why: Suggests growth potentials and ambitions

Website quality (meets minimum threshold)
Why: Demonstrate the firm's professionalism, leadership's mindset and ability to adapt with times. Hence a progressive and evolving environment to work in

Obviously, all this will have differing weightings in allocating points for rating as some are more important than others.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UBA Bank Salary Scale: How Much Does UBA Pay Their Staff? / 5 Lucrative Careers You Can Excel In That Do Not Require A Degree / Yoghurt Seller Shares Humble Beginning, Wows Many With Transformation (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.