Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,321 members, 7,846,428 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Easy Answers To Tricky Salary Negotiation Questions - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Easy Answers To Tricky Salary Negotiation Questions (1280 Views)

10 Tricky Interview Questions And How To Answer Them / Best Respond To Four Salary Negotiation Questions / 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Easy Answers To Tricky Salary Negotiation Questions by Horlaidex(m): 5:22pm On Dec 08, 2015
Question: What salary range are you looking for?

Your Answer: "Let's talk about the job requirements and expectations first, so I can get a sense of what you need." That's a soft answer to a soft way to ask the question.

Question: What did you make at your last job?

Your Answer: "This position is not exactly the same as my last job. So let's discuss what my responsibilities would be here and then determine a fair salary for this job." It's hard to argue with words like "fair" and "responsibilities"—you're earning respect with this one.

Question: What are you expecting to make in terms of salary?

Your Answer: "I am interested in finding a job that is a good fit for me. I'm sure whatever salary you're paying is consistent with the rest of the market." In other words, I respect myself and I want to think I can respect this company.

Question: I need to know what salary you want in order to make you an offer. Can you tell me a range?

Your Answer: "I'd appreciate it if you could make me an offer based on whatever you have budgeted for this position and we can go from there." This is a pretty direct response, so using words like "appreciate" focuses on drawing out the interviewer's better qualities instead of her tougher side.

Question: Why don't you want to give your salary requirements?

Your Answer: "I think you have a good idea of what this position is worth to your company, and that's important information for me to know."

You can see the pattern, right? If you think you sound obnoxious or obstinate by not answering the question, think of how he feels asking the question more than once.

Also, by the time the interviewer has asked two or three times, the interviewer will know that hiring you means having a tough negotiator on his team -- another reason to make you a good salary offer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Easy Answers To Tricky Salary Negotiation Questions by femimailbox(m): 5:55pm On Dec 08, 2015
These are good responses from you Op. More ink to your pen.
Re: Easy Answers To Tricky Salary Negotiation Questions by Wizzaro2014(m): 6:10pm On Dec 08, 2015
Good to know
Horlaidex:
Question: What salary range are you looking for?

Your Answer: "Let's talk about the job requirements and expectations first, so I can get a sense of what you need." That's a soft answer to a soft way to ask the question.

Question: What did you make at your last job?

Your Answer: "This position is not exactly the same as my last job. So let's discuss what my responsibilities would be here and then determine a fair salary for this job." It's hard to argue with words like "fair" and "responsibilities"—you're earning respect with this one.

Question: What are you expecting to make in terms of salary?

Your Answer: "I am interested in finding a job that is a good fit for me. I'm sure whatever salary you're paying is consistent with the rest of the market." In other words, I respect myself and I want to think I can respect this company.

Question: I need to know what salary you want in order to make you an offer. Can you tell me a range?

Your Answer: "I'd appreciate it if you could make me an offer based on whatever you have budgeted for this position and we can go from there." This is a pretty direct response, so using words like "appreciate" focuses on drawing out the interviewer's better qualities instead of her tougher side.

Question: Why don't you want to give your salary requirements?

Your Answer: "I think you have a good idea of what this position is worth to your company, and that's important information for me to know."

You can see the pattern, right? If you think you sound obnoxious or obstinate by not answering the question, think of how he feels asking the question more than once.

Also, by the time the interviewer has asked two or three times, the interviewer will know that hiring you means having a tough negotiator on his team -- another reason to make you a good salary offer.
Re: Easy Answers To Tricky Salary Negotiation Questions by ajbabs(m): 8:19pm On Dec 08, 2015
Good
Re: Easy Answers To Tricky Salary Negotiation Questions by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 08, 2015
You better look before u leap... If you should try all dese with some organizations,.. I know some peeps dat have lost job opportunities not in this our labour market dat is highly saturated ...
Meanwhile what you need only is to research on what d companies pays those in your category, also size d company up to determine how much dey can pay and consider if there are career prospects and progression. There are so many outside that can do d job and will collect lower dan what u demanded o.. Dats jst d fact....and besides answering salary negotiations questions like d above does not make you a tough negotiator. You only appear to be someone dat is only interested in yourself and nit interested in the company. An structured organization will treat his staff well according to its best capacity and would also want a loyal and committed employee in return irrespective of how much he or she earns. Remember the HR will not pay you from his pocket

1 Like

Re: Easy Answers To Tricky Salary Negotiation Questions by Larsody(m): 9:26pm On Dec 08, 2015
femimailbox:
These are good responses from you Op. More ink to your pen.

(1) (Reply)

Olam OK Food Ltd Test On 27/02/2016 / Hear Me Out!!! / The Nigerian Police Recruitment And Other Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.