Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,714 members, 7,831,251 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. (1217 Views)

Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic / 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners / If Nigerian Mechanics Were Medical Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. by Nobody: 2:39am On Dec 11, 2015
I use a Honda acoord 1996( bulldog). I went to the mechanic yesterday to tell him that I want to travel. That he should please drive my car to test it for me. He did and informed me that I will need up to 20k to fix some things. OK. This morning I gave him 14.5k. Told him I will balance him when I return from work.
Only to return and he told me that he found additional things wrong which he has changed and that my bill is 33k.
Even if he actually did change those thins I feel it'll be foolish to pay him ' just like that'.
Please how do we catch this mechanics when they are lying?

I've considered some options since I do like the idea of changing mechanics often:

1. Always buy the spare parts by my self : but I'm scared not to buy fake
2. Never to take my car there unless I have the time to stay with him throughout....( difficult)
3. Always verify prices of spare parts : how? I know very little about car part names let alone prices!
4. Change the mechanic: getting a sincere mechanic is so difficult. Also somebody advice that it is not in the interest of the car to change mechanics often.

Can somebody give some sound advice or experience I can learn from?
Re: I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. by Nobody: 2:42am On Dec 11, 2015
Here is the receipt

Re: I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. by libertyfather(m): 5:12am On Dec 11, 2015
Sticking to a mechanic is jst like enslaving urself to his service and they always take advantage of you, cos they know you will always come back they wunt free you at once not even @ once but forever, trying another is also a risk but when it seems ur not satisfied with ur mechanic anymore trying another is an option then you will heard all wht ur previous mechanic said he changed are not changed but patched or whatever cos the new mechanic will Wnts you to believe in his service but jst make sure he's good, you can ask ur friends to know one. as time goes on wen you understand ur car so good you will knw urself wht every fault is and you can even get the part before going to the mechanic stay with him he fix it asap....chikena
Re: I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 11, 2015
Sincere Thanks sir.
I'm deciding also to be more vigilant and learn as much as I can about cars' mechanical issues generally. Seems the more inexperienced u are the more they tend to take advantage of u.
Re: I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. by DECOtech(m): 9:11am On Dec 11, 2015
accountable01:
Here is the receipt

Why did he not even call you on phone to seek permission to carry out additional repairs? My bet is that he's lying.

You had an agreement of 20k with him. Stick to it. next time he wld learn the rules in business before dealing.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. by ogawisdom(m): 9:32am On Dec 11, 2015
accountable01:
I use a Honda acoord 1996( bulldog). I went to the mechanic yesterday to tell him that I want to travel. That he should please drive my car to test it for me. He did and informed me that I will need up to 20k to fix some things. OK. This morning I gave him 14.5k. Told him I will balance him when I return from work.
Only to return and he told me that he found additional things wrong which he has changed and that my bill is 33k.
Even if he actually did change those thins I feel it'll be foolish to pay him ' just like that'.
Please how do we catch this mechanics when they are lying?

I've considered some options since I do like the idea of changing mechanics often:

1. Always buy the spare parts by my self : but I'm scared not to buy fake
2. Never to take my car there unless I have the time to stay with him throughout....( difficult)
3. Always verify prices of spare parts : how? I know very little about car part names let alone prices!
4. Change the mechanic: getting a sincere mechanic is so difficult. Also somebody advice that it is not in the interest of the car to change mechanics often.

Can somebody give some sound advice or experience I can learn from?

U act like someone who is nt interested in learning abt ur car, hw it works n hw to take care of it. Hw can a mechanic say sth is wrong with ur car n it will cost 20k to fix it n u didn't ask him to list d things to b changed n d prices. U acted like a mugu n d mechanic is taking advantage of dt in fact na ur type dem dey always pray to ve as customer BC dts where dey make their real dough.

Hw r u sure he even changed anything frm ur car, he might even b collecting d original parts ur car came with and sell then as toks while fixing china fake parts for u, infact fire dt kazeen nw B4 he finishes u. U r d prob BC of ur lack of interest in learning abt hw ur car works.

Whoever told u its nt good to fire a non performing mechanic is a clown, and to think he is even stealing ur money. I maintain an average of three mechanics at a time n my knowledge abt my car has soo grown dt as I meet my mechanic I am telling him d probable cause of my car prob n hw he will fix it all thanks to internet n nl car section.

Majority of naija car owners r like u they play absolute indifference to things abt their car relying 100% on mechanics who devastate their car ownership experience angry

2 Likes

Re: I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. by Nobody: 11:11am On Dec 11, 2015
ogawisdom:

U act like someone who is nt interested in learning abt ur car, hw it works n hw to take care of it. Hw can a mechanic say sth is wrong with ur car n it will cost 20k to fix it n u didn't ask him to list d things to b changed n d prices. U acted like a mugu n d mechanic is taking advantage of dt in fact na ur type dem dey always pray to ve as customer BC dts where dey make their real dough.

Hw r u sure he even changed anything frm ur car, he might even b collecting d original parts ur car came with and sell then as toks while fixing china fake parts for u, infact fire dt kazeen nw B4 he finishes u. U r d prob BC of ur lack of interest in learning abt hw ur car works.

Whoever told u its nt good to fire a non performing mechanic is a clown, and to think he is even stealing ur money. I maintain an average of three mechanics at a time n my knowledge abt my car has soo grown dt as I meet my mechanic I am telling him d probable cause of my car prob n hw he will fix it all thanks to internet n nl car section.

Majority of naija car owners r like u they play absolute indifference to things abt their car relying 100% on mechanics who devastate their car ownership experience angry

Thanks. Benefitted from ur insight
Re: I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. by stephcruse(m): 5:49pm On Dec 11, 2015
Always go to a place where they can scan and do comprehensive cheking, diagnosis and after all they should be able to give extimated bill which will make you plan on what to do first or choose important one .
Re: I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. by lonelydora: 6:26pm On Dec 11, 2015
DECOtech:

Why did he not even call you on phone to seek permission to carry out additional repairs? My bet is that he's lying.

You had an agreement of 20k with him. Stick to it. next time he wld learn the rules in business before dealing.

#Fact
Re: I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. by pek(m): 10:44pm On Dec 11, 2015
I feel like giving you an e-slap. Never believe I could say this. The guy has played you complete mugu. Let me advise you: buy your parts yourself. That's what I do. I give them the impression they will buy the parts and they quote prices for me. I always make sure that workmanship is settled before e we start.
Re: I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. by Connoisseur(m): 7:20am On Dec 12, 2015
For you to owe you 19,200 when his labour is 3,000. It means he made for the parts for you.

He has finished you bros
#personalatm
Re: I Am Fed Up With Nasty Xperiences Wit Mechanics. Pls Read & Gi'me Wise Advice. by doomsdayII(m): 9:39am On Dec 12, 2015
At first, it always seem best to trust these mechs but you soon discover they are dupes. Now I won't talk about YOU. I will talk about I.
Whenever I feel there's a need for a major repair in my car, I drive down to ladipo preferably when I'm off duty. So I already picked out a day. Then I got a particular shop where I get all my parts. I've been dealing with this guy over 3 yrs and he's trustworthy. Proven. The good thing about him is he brings the parts with me, accesses the one my mech says is bad or faulty. If yes, he gives me the replacement. And if it's still OK, he'll tell me not to bother wasting money for now as that part can still last me a considerable period of time. I NEVER let my mech buy my part cos they're insane and their greed for money makes them no better than our govt.
So in essence, the only money I give my mech is his workmanship. I've never changed him and yet, I never trusted him.
I should have mentioned that I always make a list of issues coming up in my car each time I notice something while driving. So when I'm ready for the repair, I filter it in two- the critical ones and the manageable ones. Of course u know what to attend to first.
Good luck Bro cos car wahala no b small thing

(1) (Reply)

Car Tips: Auto Theft Prevention Tips / I Need A Car To Buy From A God Fearing Person At A Give Away Price. / Pls What Is Solution To My Sienna Over Heating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.