Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,897 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

The Secret Behind Storing Yams So It Doesn't Grow Moulds - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Secret Behind Storing Yams So It Doesn't Grow Moulds (5116 Views)

Buyers Of Yams In Bulk Can Contact Farmersfarn For Monthly Delivery. / Storing/preserving Dried Fish / Beware Of The Type Of Yams You Buy From The Market. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Secret Behind Storing Yams So It Doesn't Grow Moulds by EstarKeys(f): 1:44am On Dec 12, 2015
How To Store Cut Yam So It Doesn’t Grow Moulds.

“howdo I properly store a cut yam?”, “how can I storeyam after I cut it without spoiling?”.

We are goingto talk about this topic today in order to addresstheir questions. Often we buy large tubers of Yamand need to only cook a small portion of it when weneed to eat. So, what are you going to do with theremaining tuber? If you leave it that way, it growsmould and gets spoiled or turns brown and hardthat you have to peel it off.

When the questions came, I though this shouldnot be a problem for anyone because there is away I saw mum do it while growing up and itworked every time.

So, I took some time out andspoke to different people, asking them how theypreserve their cut yam tuber. I got a lot ofinteresting answers and I will address the mostshocking one first.Someone told me she just leaves the yam thatway and cut off the spoiled part when next sheneeds to cook the yam.

Well, I would say that isnot proper and safe for the following reasons;Why waste that part of yam that you cut away?You could save that yam by preserving it properly.When your yam grows mould and you cut thecontaminated part away, do you think theremaining part of the tuber is safe?You know why this is wasteful and unsafe? Mouldis a fungi and when they grow on foods, fungibreak the food down and make us of it. They growtheir HYPHAE (the part that looks likemicroscopic roots) into the dissolved food. So,when you cut off the mould growth on the surface, you could still have the hyphae left in theremaining yam.

The root is as unsafe as dangerousas the growth, sometimes more dangerous. Don’tcauseFood Poisoning for yourself.
NEXT [2].

:: Tip For Preserving Cut Yam ToPrevent Mould Growth…So how can you store your cut yam?Here are some of the tips I have used and othersthat I got from people I spoke to;
Tip.Number 1
: One of our respondents, supportedby some others said “I cut the quantity of yam Ineed and just put the rest back in the fridge”. Ithink this makes sense because these organismsneed elevated temperature to grow, thereforestoring them at low temperature like that in therefrigerator inhibits their growth. Tip Number 2:

“Cut the piece you need andimmediately put the other end in a small bowl with2 centimeters water.” I tried this before and itworked, but I did not store it for more than twodays. If you have ever tried it for a longer period,let us know. This probably prevents the exposedpart from atmospheric oxygen, which aids thegrowth of the spoilage organisms. .NEXT [3] ::

Tips Number 3 and Number 4…Tip Number 3: Growing up, I applied palm oil on thesurface of the Yam that I have left and it workedfine. Tip Number 4:

A reader of FoodsNG alsorecommended this, “rub the exposed, cut, rawflesh with lemon juice, it cuts down on thebrowning and prevent mould growth”.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Behind Storing Yams So It Doesn't Grow Moulds by ajuwarhodes(f): 7:37am On Dec 12, 2015
Long thing, when I was younger my mum leaves it,and when next she cuts the dried,brown or moulded part away,and we cook n eat the rest,never had food poisoning, na now food poisoning go come kill me? Leave matter abegi.once I know that I have yam at home,I make arrangements to eat yam in different way,yam n egg,yamarita,yam porridge etc, before u close and open ur eyes,yam don finish ,I fit try the fridge own,but nahhhhh! That space will be good for my fruits.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Behind Storing Yams So It Doesn't Grow Moulds by kingstylo01(m): 10:53pm On Dec 14, 2015
lol.. was thinking your write-up is for storing yams in the barn

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Used sugar,Rice,flour Sack For Sale / Price Of Coca Cola In Lagos / My Nigeria Pizza Ordeals, Some Never To Try Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.