Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,018 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

Cultivate A Selfless Spirit - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Cultivate A Selfless Spirit (384 Views)

"My Spirit Husband Is Ruining My Life" - Nigerian Woman Cries Out / God Delivered My Sister From The Spirit Of Insanity: My Testimony / Honesty - A Virtue To Cultivate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Cultivate A Selfless Spirit by yommyuk: 2:00pm On Dec 12, 2015
The believer’s self-life is composed of the habits, attitudes, and relationships he or she is unwilling to surrender. Keeping those things from the Lord gives us a sense of independence—highly prized in our current culture. However, by following the“self,” we interfere with God’s purpose. He wants every aspect of our lives to be submitted to His will.

Jonah mistook rebellion for freedom. The fourth chapter of his story paints a vivid picture of the prophet sweltering in the sun—and in the heat of his hatred. His blood boiled when God showed mercy to the Ninevites. “I have good reason to be angry, even to death,” he ranted (Jonah 4:9). God had used him to save more than 120,000 souls, but Jonah was angry because he desired their destruction.

Freedom is not the same as autonomy. Walking in full obedience to the Lord is the only true liberty. Jonah obeyed with his body but not with his heart. And his bitterness shows that stubbornly clinging to our self-life is a snare for the spirit. Unhealthy routines, like thick weeds in our paths, prevent us from moving forward. So God is determined to break us loose from any hindrance.

Jonah resisted the Lord’s every attempt to crack his pride. Believers have the right to choose self over submission, but the cost is high. We may steep in emotional turmoil like the prophet. Or God might deny us opportunities. Whatever the consequences, one thing is certain: Autonomy will cause us to miss the blessing of intimacy with the Lord—and nothing is worth that.

1 John 4:8
“Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.”

Philippians 2:3-10
“Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. ...”

1 John 3:18
“Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.”

1 John 4:16
“So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.”

IT IS WELL. GOD BLESS wink

(1) (Reply)

Adeboye Predicts New Sexual Disease, Unveils 2016 Prophesies / Pastor EA Adeboye Issues 11 Prophesies For 2016 / The Dance Of A Lifetime – A True Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.