Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

El Rufai's Friend And Other Poor Nigerians- Déjà Vu - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / El Rufai's Friend And Other Poor Nigerians- Déjà Vu (472 Views)

Lady Reaches Out To A Poor Old Man After Seeing His Picture On Facebook. Photos / Nigeria Media Houses Don't Honor SOS Calls/emails From Average/poor Nigerians / Ex Minister Tried To Return N50bn Through Me — El-rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

El Rufai's Friend And Other Poor Nigerians- Déjà Vu by SaintOlawale(m): 4:34pm On Dec 13, 2015
El Rufai's friend and other poor Nigerians- déjà vu.
Written by Saint-Olawale Jimoh

I had written earlier that what a dog sees and barks at, is nothing compared to what the sheep contemplates in silence. There's nothing we have not seen. The worst are happening all around. Democracy has impoverished many Nigerians more than we had in the military days. Those in the rich class who accidentally witness one of such scenarios consider it unusual and take to social media to become hero. Some of us, who relate well with the grassroots will say 'nor bi today' but the French will say: déjà vu.
I once read about how Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El Rufai, while embarking on a village to village campaign prior to the general elections, ran into an old classmate who was a village farmer. At first he was shocked seeing how suddenly the man has grown far older than his age but the real shock came when after El Rufai offered him a 1000 Naira note and the fellow commented he has never seen it before. He has only heard about it. Throughout his brief stay in that village, he was still wondering how it was possible for a fellow Nigerian not have or have seen a 1000 Naira note in this same country.

During my service year at Alladim, which is one of the five communities constituting Nkum Ibor Ward under Ogoja Local Government Area of Cross River State (apologies to my old friends from the area who are now my friends on facebook), I witnessed poverty firsthand! No money, no job, no water, no road, no electricity.. You cannot get TV or radio signal to connect with happenings around. I saw youth of my age wasting away with tedious farm works only for family consumption. Government teachers were like gods; they saw more of the new 1000 Naira notes that El Rufai's friend never saw anytime Government remembered to pay them.

Chijioke Amu-nnadi once lamented, "this does not feel like a country any more!"
The other day, Pa Ikhide cried, "it is time for people of conscience to speak up. Nigeria is headed in the wrong direction. Where are our writers? Why are we quiet?"

What have we not mentioned? Has Pa Ikhide not heard how an innocent guy was locked up in detention over ordinary facebook post in Imo State and on the order of some people in government? Few weeks ago, a very good friend of mine, who's equally a blogger, was arrested and locked up for daring to exposing how money was laundered abroad from my State. It is easier for Nigerians living abroad, to seat at the comfort of their homes and post arrogant comments on some issues and blame some of us at home for not acting. Come home and try that, especially now that anti-social media bill is being rumoured to be on the way.

So, let no Nigerian leader come and tell us, he's unaware there's poverty in the land. Let them not tell us they are oblivious of the fact that the ongoing fuel scarcity is killing Nigerians. Heavens will not be happy with them if they claim they don't know over 65million Nigerian youths are unemployed. Governor Oshiomole who hiked Ambrose Ali University school fees by 200 percent cannot say he's unaware of the negative implications of such decision on the children of the commoners. They all know and we have reminded them times without number, the implications of their inaction and lest I forget, this is just my personal opinion. I stand to be corrected!

(1) (Reply)

Danger... / Important Notice, If You Want To Be Featured In My Blog / USA Does Not Specifically Eat Chicken For Christmas, Thats A Non-American Thing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.