Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,209 members, 7,953,771 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:16 AM

Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here (1748 Views)

How To Make Steady Income Writing And Publishing Your Book On Amazon Kindle / Fiction Prize For African Writers($1,000 And Publishing Deal)|cordite Books / Book Productions, Writing, Arts Journalism And Publishing Techniques Workshop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by Joan4427(f): 5:48am On Jun 05, 2009
Dear Writers and Authors,

This thread is meant for educating determined writers and upcoming authors about the literary industry and helping them find answers and solutions to questions and problems about book publishing.

Whether you need a literary agent or a publisher for complete novels, self-help books, non-fiction books, a collection of short stories and poems, screen plays, etc. Or you are looking for authentic literary forums and websites where you can meet and network with other authors. Or you need useful insights, information, direction, and honest answers to your questions.

This thread is for you.

Post your questions and I (and other interested or knowledgeable individuals in the field) will do our best to provide answers and offer directions and insights into the literary and publishing maze.

Ask your questions about traditional publishing, subsidy publishing, self publishing, POD, Vanity press, etc.
Ask about the advantages and disadvantages of each type of publishing and which type would be the best bet for your work or situation.
Ask questions about writing, characterization, scenes, dialogue building, plot development, theme, editing, proofreading, copy editing, etc.
Ask questions about grammar, punctuation, sentence construction, word usage, problematic sentences, verb usage, thesaurus application, cliches, etc.

PLEASE POST ONLY AUTHENTIC QUESTIONS. NO SPAMMING. NO ADVERTS OR COMMERCIALS.

Finally, be courteous and polite.

Best Regards,

Joan Peck (Book Publicist)
Bernard Books Publishing,
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
http://bernardbooks.com
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by lanrefront1(m): 9:23am On Jun 18, 2009
Hey Joan, thanks for this thread. Eventually, i'm sure it will be helpful to several aspiring writers on Nairaland.

I wish to bring your attention to the advert on the left-hand corner of the Literature/Writing page which says "Do not self-publish". In your spare time, could you click on the link and confirm that its not a spam website because it sure looks like one to me and its being given space on Nairaland.

Check their tab, "contact us". They say they have an office suite in New York yet give no address. Check the link to "testimonials". They claim lofty exploits in their chosen endeavour and yet do not give a single name of an author under them or a novel published by them.

That aside, to the important issue, I have a completed novel and I need help in finding an agent or publisher(you probably recognise my name from my mail to you). I started pitching literary agents in the US about two months ago. Will a US literay agent really accept to take up an African novel? How can I locate the ones that have interests in works from Africa?

I've given my novel to three people to read and they said it was really good(ofcourse their opinion).

How do you suggest I go about this?
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by lanrefront1(m): 9:25am On Jun 18, 2009
Hey Joan, thanks for this thread. Eventually, i'm sure it will be helpful to several aspiring writers on Nairaland.

I wish to bring your attention to the advert on the left-hand corner of the Literature/Writing page which says "Do not self-publish". In your spare time, could you click on the link and confirm that its not a spam website because it sure looks like one to me and its being given space on Nairaland.

Check their tab, "contact us". They say they have an office suite in New York yet give no address. Check the link to "testimonials". They claim lofty exploits in their chosen endeavour and yet do not give a single name of an author under them or a novel published by them.

That aside, to the important issue, I have a completed novel and I need help in finding an agent or publisher(you probably recognise my name from my mail to you). I started pitching literary agents in the US about two months ago. Will a US literay agent really accept to take up an African novel? How can I locate the ones that have interests in works from Africa?

I've given my novel to three people to read and they said it was really good(ofcourse their opinion).

How do you suggest I go about this?
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by SeyQua: 1:40pm On Jun 18, 2009
Firstly before you go submitting your manuscript to agents and publishers, make sure it is at its absolute best state; written and rewritten over and over that you're certain you have nothing else to add, well formatted (proper fonts, double spaced and all), eye catching synopsis, proofread and professionally edited. This is compulsory if you want you and your book to be taken seriously. That's where you might want to get in touch with me or any other reliable publisher you know.

As for publishers in the U.S accepting works from African writers, I do know that they're quite apprensive for various reasons I'm sure Joan would be happy to elaborate upon. However, there is a U.S based publisher I know with a program for African authors.

Visit www.strategicpublishing.com/africa-about.html

Hope that helps.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by lanrefront1(m): 11:28pm On Jun 18, 2009
Thanks SeyQua for your response. Though I've gone through the book(editing) several times, I'll redo that several times again. I have a brother that teaches literature in a University. Then I'll give it to him.

From your one of your posts in this section, you mentioned you that you are a freelance writer/editor. Are you also a publisher?
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by SeyQua: 12:00am On Jun 19, 2009
@Lanre. Nope, not into publishing. Forgive the error in my post; what I intended to write was editor, not publisher.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by diliale: 7:46pm On Jun 19, 2009
HI JOAN, 
             I want to know how i can go about writing something that looks like a comparison report. Let me clarify my question. I want to write and compare a poduct produced by two different companies{TWO COMPANIES, SAME PRODUCT}. The aim is to gain acceptance to comment on thier branding,services,shows,recent programmes and any other new innovative idea,in par with their rival. Help with any info,place,person that will be of help to me will be strongly appreciated.Thanks
                                                                                         Nelson
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by Joan4427(f): 11:50pm On Jun 19, 2009
Hi all,

I almost forgot all about this thread. I started it a while back and got no responses for a while, so I assumed people just weren't that interest in the publishing industry and the literary world. My bad cool cool cool cool

Anyway, here I am. I will tackle each question as we go along.

Regards to all.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by Joan4427(f): 12:15am On Jun 20, 2009
Hi Lanre-front,

You raised some good issues. I will try to tackle them in stages.

lanre_front:

Basically both the advert that says, "Don't Self Publish Yet" (Ad by WL publishing) and "Do Not Self Publishing" (Ad by strategic publishing); are both subsidy publishers own by the same LLC (launched by Mr Robert Fletcher).

There has been a flag of this group of Vanity/Subsidy publisher for a number of years now especially in 2005 when a lawsuit was brought against them by the authors they mis-represented. (See article by Voictoria Straus below):

Subsidy Publishing means, the author has to pay an amount of money upfront (about $4000 = N600,000) for his/her book to be published. The subsidy publisher promises they would invest an amount of their own money in the book, but in actuality, they invest  nothing. This means the author bears the total cost of seeing their book in print.
In addition, Subsidy Publishers hardly market your book or put any serious effort in making available on the bookshelves. They have little or no sales records, meaning that after shelling $4000 to them, your book will still not sell due to the non-existent marketing. (Marketing = public knowing about your book and buying it = monetary sales)
So in this case, you either drive the marketing yourself and earn about 40% of the sales, or be in the situation where your book will not sell. Not even a single copy, as is the case with many books published this way.
These companies may just make your book available on their own website and on Lulu.com, and that's it.

My professional advice is: PLEASE RUN AWAY FROM ADVERTS LIKE THIS. ESPECIALLY FROM THOSE SUBSIDY COMPANIES OWNED BY ROBERT FLETCHER!
**Please read the article below and see for yourself. For more information on scam publishers, go to

http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubwarn.htm

http://www.sfwa.org/Beware/

Article by Victoria Strauss [url]http://www.sfwa.org/BEWARE/general.html
[/url]

Writers' Literary Agency (WLA -- formerly The Literary Agency Group) / Global Book Agency / Strategic Book Publishing / Eloquent Books / AEG Publishing Group
The Literary Agency Group, a business controlled by Robert M. Fletcher of Boca Raton, Florida, changed its name in February 2007 to Writers' Literary Agency (a.k.a. WLA or WL Writers' Agency).

This umbrella group includes the following:

* WL Children's Agency
    * WL Poet's Agency
    * WL Screenplay Agency
    * Writers' Literary & Publishing Services Company (the editing arm of the above-mentioned agencies)

In 2008, the business expanded to include publishing operations under the umbrella of the AEG Publishing Group:

* Strategic Book Publishing
    * Eloquent Books
    * Authors' Edge

Other current businesses or websites that Writer Beware believes are associated with Writers' Literary Agency, based on referrals and website content, include:

* Writers' Book Publishing Agency
    * Children's Book Publishing Agency
    * Poetry Book Publishing Agency
    * Screenplay Writers' Agency
    * Global Book Agency
    * Strategic Book Marketing
    * Authors' Edge

Other names the business has used include Sydra-Techniques, ST Literary Agency, Stylus Agency, Children's Literary Agency, Christian Literary Agency, New York Literary Agency, Poet's Literary Agency, The Screenplay Agency, and My Editor Is A Saint (an editing company).

Since the business began operating in 2001 under the name Sydra-Techniques, Writer Beware has received hundreds of complaints and advisories of fee-charging for literary agency services, fee-based publishing, critique and editing referrals, and other questionable practices. We're not aware that the literary agency branch of the business has a significant track record of commercial book or script sales under any of its names.

In February 2008, Robert Fletcher and The Literary Agency Group filed a retaliatory lawsuit against Writer Beware, alleging defamation, loss of business, and emotional distress. On March 18, 2009, the suit was dismissed with prejudice by the Massachusetts Superior Court, due to Fletcher’s failure to respond to discovery or otherwise prosecute the lawsuit. SFWA has issued an official press release.

The office of the Florida Attorney General has opened a public consumer-related investigation into Writers' Literary Agency and its associated businesses.

Writers who have had trouble with Robert M. Fletcher or any of the above-named businesses, and who wish to file a complaint, may contact the office of the Florida Attorney General, regardless of their place or country of residence, or the date of their involvement.

Contact information:

Randi Shapiro, Financial Investigator
Economic Crimes Division
Email: randi.shapiro@myfloridalegal.com
Phone: 866-966-7226 (toll free hotline) or 850-414-3990

Or visit the Consumer Protection section of the Florida AG's website.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by lanrefront1(m): 6:15pm On Jun 20, 2009
Your response is indeed illuminating. Thanks for finding the time. If there are anymore coming, guess we'll hear as time goes on. God's speed.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by SeyQua: 10:22pm On Jun 21, 2009
Thanks Joan for your post; it is indeed very enlightening. I came across the strategic book publishing website a while ago and have been innocently promoting the company on this forum, not knowing they belonged to the same old subsidy publishing group. They got me fooled with the 'traditional publisher' boldly written on their website.

To all those who have acted on my misinformation, I apologise.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by cooldud62: 12:56pm On Jun 22, 2009
hi guys, can you check this out please and give the appropriate answer?
thanks.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-286263.0.html
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by ekoree: 7:29pm On Nov 12, 2009
Hoofbeatdotcom Publishers has recently entered into a strategic alliance with one of the world's largest wholesale distributor of books. We offer creative writers and authors the opportunity, not only to have their books published, but distributed worldwide, through this network. We have a special offer for Nigerian writers.
If you have interest, E-mail
Dotcomhoofbeat@yahoo.com
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by lanrefront1(m): 10:30am On Nov 15, 2009
Ekoere, Great news! I'm sure there will be people on nairaland that have interest including myself. But could you give more information on the said establishment. I googled hoofbeatsdotcom publishers and nothing came up? What distributor did you enter an alliance with?
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by ekoree: 10:25pm On Nov 15, 2009
Hoofbeatdotcom Publishers  is  a writers' haven, set up to offer publishing and promotional opportunities for authors, writers and render ancillary services to discerning individuals, brands and products.

The company published the critically acclaimed and widely accepted collection of poems on Lagos - Eko Ree -The Many Faces of Lagos, which won the Association of Nigerian Authors/Cadbury Poetry Prize 2004.

Ours is a Nigerian company with a global outlook, founded on core values of integrity, excellence and a win-win philosophy.

Our website, at the moment, is under construction. Hoof beat dot com publishers has a facebook page, with a bit of info on us.

Am sorry, the company we have an alliance with, is a trade secret for now.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by MyneWhite1(f): 11:32pm On Feb 26, 2010
hoofbeat, are you guys still working?
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by ekoree: 12:09pm On Feb 27, 2010
Hoofbeat is still on. If you send a mail to us at dotcomhoofbeat@yahoo.com, we will forward to you details of the packages available for now.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by tpia5: 8:22pm On Mar 17, 2013
thread started well but then went off tangent, it seems.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here by tpia5: 8:22pm On Mar 17, 2013

its self evident you shouldnt go further with them i should think.

(1) (Reply)

Comin Soon:the Campus Kaleidescope- Nigeria's No.1 Campus Magazine / Plague - A Story By Kachi Ugo (kindle Bestselling Author) / It Takes 3 To Tango (by Abiodun O)...18+

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.