Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,368 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Did Jesus Have Long Hair? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Have Long Hair? (1331 Views)

What Body Does Jesus Have In Heaven? / Why Doesnt Paul Quote Jesus? Have Been Thinking! / Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus Have Long Hair? by feelgood(m): 12:34pm On Jun 05, 2009
A child asked me this question recently especially since we emphasize low cut (in the light of 1Corinth11:14) among males. Incidentally, the pics we show of Jesus in children materials are ones with long hair - and the child brought this to my attention. I did let the child know that I believed (and still do) that Jesus did not keep long hair and that the depictions of Jesus with long hair were not correct. And that's my dilemma - our books depict a long haired Jesus (which is not in line with the aforesaid verse).

I should appreciate your sincere contributions on the topic my good fellows, which I trust would be devoid of acrimony and abuses. A reference to the same topic being exhaustively dealt with in an earlier time would be welcome, if any.

Regards
Re: Did Jesus Have Long Hair? by Horus(m): 12:59pm On Jun 05, 2009
After these propaganda subliminal pictures of a Jesus with long hair have been stamped in the minds of our children, we have to make this a full time effort to explain what Jesus looked like and we must all agree on one picture. Revelation 1:14-15  describes Jesus’ hair texture which is[b] like lamb’s wool[/b] as well as in 1 Corinthians 11:14 where it states that it is a shame for a man to have long hair. This goes to show you that the image of Jesus with long hair could not be the true image of the true Son of God, Jesus Christ.
Re: Did Jesus Have Long Hair? by MALAMA(f): 2:17pm On Jun 05, 2009
It's not likely Jesus had long hair because it wasn't the culture of the male Jews to keep long hair. Exceptions were noted in the Bible ie Absalom and Samson. whose hairs were long and were in locks/braids .If Jesus, had long hair, it would have been noted by the writers of the Gospels.

The pictures of Jesus are just artists' renditions of either themselves or a friend or a regular individual during their time. Or actors like Cavaziel or Robert Powell. Jesus, being someone from the Middle-East could not have had blond hair and blue eyes. Those pictures are false and grossly misleading.

1Cor 11:14 echoes the way in which men kept their hair at that time and is not an injunction for the men of today to keep their hair short/trimmed. It was a cultural thing for the men not to have long hair. Though Paul wrote that ', does not nature itself show that it is shameful for ment to have long hair, ?', he was infact stating what he perceived to be the norm/ natural thing but this was underpinned by the cultural mores of the society at that time. In the Far East, men kept (some still do) their hair long, and it was also perceived to be the norm or natural. Here, we have a case of different cultural practices in different societies. More like one man's meat is another man's poison. The Bible verse above should not be taken to mean that men/christian men should not keep their hair long because it would amount to a society imposing its own beliefs on the societies under the guise of religion. The world has moved on now, and men can do whatever suits their fancy wink ( I admire men with beautiful braids/cornrows or locks smiley).

I hope the child will understand the above explanation, but let the child know the truth and see diversity of culture and not think that religion is all in all that we do.

I hope this helps a little.
Re: Did Jesus Have Long Hair? by Nikky23: 10:39pm On Jun 08, 2009
That is what the media portray, that Jesus had long hair. I guess till i get to heaven, i'll find out.
Re: Did Jesus Have Long Hair? by Nobody: 2:40am On Jun 09, 2009
and thats their god, even if hes their god, did he say they should keep image of him and worst still hang on the wall, shame!
Re: Did Jesus Have Long Hair? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jun 09, 2009
The Bible says that all scripture is inspired by God, including the one that condemns long hair for guys even though it may seem like Apostle Paul's personal opinion. Now it's not possible that God inspired something so obviously anti-Jesus, right?

uplawal:

and thats their god, even if hes their god, did he say they should keep image of him and worst still hang on the wall, shame!

Even if I wasn't a Christian, common sense would have made me write that your post is just the wrong thing here. Can't you live in peace with others?
Re: Did Jesus Have Long Hair? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jun 09, 2009
@mactao
mr man, what is wrong with my post? or is it not the truth, u berra shut ur lying mouth up, they claim jesus is thier god and still not obeying the commandment about IMAGE of him, or don't they hang his picture on the wall?
Re: Did Jesus Have Long Hair? by kshow1(m): 4:45pm On Jun 09, 2009
no need to argue, we will all find out on judgement day.
Re: Did Jesus Have Long Hair? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jun 10, 2009
yes o, we will find out and he himself will tell God he never instruct anyone to worship him o
Re: Did Jesus Have Long Hair? by tpiah: 4:23pm On Jun 10, 2009
His hair would have been the same length as that of other Jews at the time.

Women generally keep longer hair than men. So if men back then wore long hair by today's standards, then the women's hair would be longer though covered up.

(1) (Reply)

Church Tattoos 666 Mark On Members ! / Thread 4 All.Ask Any Question Concerning Catholicism And Its Doctrine / Making Up And The Use Of Cosmetics Is it a Sin???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.