Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,633 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

Story: Unreciprocated Love... - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Story: Unreciprocated Love... (1830 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Story: Unreciprocated Love... by Olajhidey22(m): 9:46am On Dec 17, 2015
SOURCE: www.bussydave.com.ng

This story is in Episode and your comments will be highly appreciated for me to finish it up!
Just feel like entertaining you guys with this story and NOTE WELL There is a great lesson to be learnt here

UNRECIPROCATED LOVE.........EPISODE 1

It was an answer to a long voiced prayer when Funmi met Biyi that fateful Tuesday in Abuja. Funmi is an upcoming artist with a voice like that of an angel. Her voice is so unique with a throaty quality to it that attracts the attention of anyone that is close enough to hear when she sings. Her voice sounds a lot like Chidinma’s, the popular Nigerian singer/songwriter. Funmi produced a single with the help of her long time friend turned disc jockey (DJ Chimzy) and she was determined to push and market that single to her satisfaction hence her trip to Abuja from the coal city, Enugu.

Funmi got to Abuja on a rainy and dreary Sunday afternoon. Mind you, she does not know a soul in Abuja, she figured she’ll get a cheap hotel room and start moving from one radio station to another with the hope that one Good Samaritan will agree to hear her song and decide to air it on the radio. This was after careful months of planning, strategizing and saving any extra cash that came her way. Little did she know that her dreams will be as far from her as the heavens is from the earth; it will not be as easy to achieve as she had initially thought.

After two weeks of running around with no show, her soul weary from the constant rejections, her body tired from the grappling and touching of men who wants her body before they commit to listening to her demo, her shoes worn almost to the soles of her feet, her money almost running out; Funmi finally accepted defeat. She finally came to terms with the fact that there was no Good Samaritan anywhere to help her; everyone wants to know what’s in it for them. It’s a tit-for-tat world out there.

It was out of this deep despair and hopelessness that a ray of light shone her way. A ray of light in the form of a man. A ray of light in the form of Biyi.

She was in the taxi on her way back to her hotel, counting the meager amount remaining in her purse when a program came on the radio. She started listening with half an ear but there was something in the presenter’s voice that tugged at her heart and she found herself drawn into the story he was weaving in his listener’s minds. He told a story of love interwoven with betrayal, heartache and loneliness. The story was heartbreaking and soul-shattering. It moved Funmi immensely. She copied down the number he called out for people to call in on her blackberry and resolved to try one last time. She decided to call him and pitch her song to him; maybe this will be the breakthrough she’d been searching for.

The next day, Funmi woke early, took a warm shower and dressed in the best dress she came to Abuja with. The dress was yellow, with flowered patterns sewn all over the bodice; it gave her a very feminine and appealing look. She was filled with a renewed resolve to go slay the giants in her way to success. Her excitement this morning stemmed from the conversation she had with the radio presenter last night. His name is Biyi.

“Hello.” She tentatively said into the receiver, afraid if she shouts, the listener on the other end could disappear.

“Hello.”

A few seconds pass before Funmi realized she was supposed to state her name and the reason for her call. She was so nervous, she wanted this call to turn out perfectly, as she had hoped and envisioned it in her head. She shook herself mentally. ‘Snap out of it girl!’ she admonished herself.

“Yes, hello. My mane is Funmi. Am I speaking to Biyi?”

“Yes this is Biyi speaking.”

“Sorry for the intrusion but I was wondering if I can come see you at the office tomorrow. I have a single I’ll like you to listen to.”

“Oh really? What did you say your name was again?”

“Funmi.”

“I’ve never heard of you.”

“You wouldn’t have. I’m relatively new in the music business. This is my first single.”

“Oh, well. Tomorrow, you say?”

“Yes please.”

“Okay, no problem. Find your way to the station and I’ll listen to your song.”

Funmi almost shouted with joy. She caught herself before she did something stupid like blow a kiss to the hapless man over the phone. It seemed too easy, his response to her query; she was expecting it to take some convincing at the least. She forced herself to answer in a subdued voice. “Thank you so much. I assure you won’t be disappointed.”

“That remains to be seen. Bye.”

“Bye.”

She ended the call and did some cartwheels in her small hotel room. Luck was finally on her side, fate was smiling at her at last. It never crossed her mind that the song will be rejected despite previous disappointments. She knew fate was working for and with her.

……to be continued..... Please stay tuned for the next episode!

SOURCE: http://www.bussydave.com.ng/2015/12/story-unreciprocated-love-episode-1
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by Olajhidey22(m): 9:48am On Dec 17, 2015
If anyone wishes to reproduce this story on his/her blog please seek for my permission first! Thanks!

Your comments please before i continue the story grin grin grin
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by Olajhidey22(m): 4:09pm On Dec 17, 2015
Story: Unreciprocated Love.......Episode 2

Funmi finished dressing up and left her hotel room, with certain jauntiness in her steps. She took careful care of her look today and her efforts showed. She knows she’s beautiful and she’s not shy about it. She was overwhelmed with joy and she couldn’t wait till she gets to the radio station. She got to the main street and flagged down a taxi, stating the address of her destination with a smile on her face. The driver looked at her with a somewhat puzzled look but Funmi didn’t care. She was on top of the world.

She got to the radio station right on time. The radio station is located in the better part of Abuja; Wuse precisely. Funmi looked up to the building as the taxi dropped her directly in front of it. She was impressed by the architectural design of it; she never expected a big station like this. She decided not to get ahead of herself and enter before she forms her opinions.

She removed her phone from her purse and informed Biyi she was in front of the building. He told her to come right in. On getting to the office entrance, she saw a young guy leaning on the front desk with his arms crossed in front of him. Funmi guessed it was Biyi apparently waiting for her arrival. He was tall, a little bit fair just like Funmi’s complexion actually and on closer inspection, she discovered he was not classically handsome but he has an interesting face, a face that is full of character and mischief, a face you will want to know.

He looked at her with piercing eyes and Funmi found herself nervous on her feet, those eyes seem as if they see right into her soul and she was not comfortable with his careful examination of her. After what seemed like an eternity, he finally straightened up to his full height and offered his hand. Funmi looked up at him, a situation she was not used to, she is either looking straight at a man or looking down at him; that is how tall she is. Most people, men and women alike find her height intimidating.

“Hi, pleasure to meet you.” He said
Funmi stretched her hand to hold his. She felt a tiny bang up her arm as their palms came in contact. She ignored it. Oh no, you are not doing this to me. This is strictly business. I’m not going to allow you ruin everything. She admonished her body.
“Hello. The pleasure is mine.” She replied Biyi with a straight face, none of what she was feeling showing on her face.
He led her to a chair and offered her a sit. Funmi sat uncomfortably on the edge of her chair. She was so nervous; she wanted everything to go perfectly.
Biyi smiled at her gently. Maybe he sensed her unease and is trying to help. “So, can I hear the song?”
“Yes, of course.” Funmi brought her phone out again and searched for her song. She pressed play and a melodious song crooned out of the speaker. Lord, let this be it. She prayed. Biyi was engrossed and nodding as the song played and this encouraged Funmi. It means he likes it, she thought.

The song ended and he looked up at her. “Can you play that again?” he requested Funmi quickly hit the repeat button on her phone. The music crooned out once again and she tried to listen to it as if she was hearing it for the first time. If she must say so herself, the song is really good. At the end of the song, Biyi looked up and smiled. Funmi’s heart almost leaped into her throat. That smile is everything.

“This is a really good song and it has a resounding message. I’m going to break one of my cardinal rules and help you. I don’t usually get involved in artists’ palaver but I’m going to make your case an exception. Where are the places you’ve been to?”
Funmi told him all the places she’s been to and has been rejected. She told him of her experiences and how she almost gave up.
“So I decided to call you yesterday and try my luck.” She concluded
“I’m glad you called. I’ll use every resource in my power to help push this song. I just need your commitment.” He raised his eyebrows, looking at her.
Funmi almost kissed his feet. Why won’t I be committed? In fact, commitment is now my middle name sef. “I promise I’ll not disappoint you.” She replied earnestly.

And so it began; from station to station, from on-air personalities to on-air personalities, from disc jockeys to disc jockeys, Biyi introduced Funmi to everyone who was anyone in Abuja. His influence and input alone unlocked doors that were previously closed and opened a whole new world for Funmi; a world she didn’t know existed. Biyi took care of her, bought lunch for her every day and was a perfect gentleman, never demanding anything from her but her total commitment.

After about a week of moving all over Abuja, Funmi’s money had been exhausted to the point that she couldn’t afford to stay another night at her hotel. She broached this topic with Biyi and he offered her the use of his apartment till the time she will leave Abuja. Dima was shocked by his generosity and she hoped she could one day pay him back.

….to be continued....Please stay tuned!

Source: http://www.bussydave.com.ng/2015/12/story-unreciprocated-love-episode-2/
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by Olajhidey22(m): 5:48pm On Dec 17, 2015
Make una comment nau sad..Abbi shey ah no try ni
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by nerdfrost(m): 6:51pm On Dec 19, 2015
Op abeg no stop oo I dey enjoy am grin
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by Olajhidey22(m): 8:05pm On Dec 19, 2015
nerdfrost:
Op abeg no stop oo I dey enjoy am grin

Thanks nerdfrost!

Now let me continue with the story!
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by Nobody: 8:34am On Dec 20, 2015
nice story
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by nerdfrost(m): 1:14am On Dec 21, 2015
Olajhidey22:

Thanks nerdfrost!

Now let me continue with the story!
. Where the update,I dey wait @op
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by Olajhidey22(m): 3:34pm On Dec 21, 2015
UNRECIPROCATED LOVE.......EPISODE 3

The day for pay-back came sooner than she expected. It so happened on that fateful day, Funmi was in Biyi’s house in the evening having done the usual rounds all day. She was relaxed on the sofa in his sitting room, TV remote in hand, absently shuffling through the channels while recollecting about the day’s events.

The day was unusually successful and very rewarding and Funmi was glad she met Biyi. If she hadn’t met him that fateful Tuesday, she’ll be back in Enugu by now, back to her old schedule of selling provisions in her father’s departmental store and singing to herself while arranging goods on the shelves. But instead, she was in Abuja living her dream.

Biyi informed her yesterday that they’ve laid so much groundwork and planted many seeds, it’s time to stand back and watch it grow. They’ve had promises of invitations to shows and concerts when the time is right so it seems their work is generating some positive feedback. Funmi is contemplating returning to Enugu so as to give Biyi some room to breathe; after all he’s been instrumental in helping her thus far. She does not want to impose too much on his generosity.

Biyi came in a while later looking confused and nervous. Funmi wondered what the problem was. I hope he’s not having second thoughts about helping me, she thought. His help has been invaluable and she does not take it for granted.

Biyi came to sit on the sofa and Funmi had to abandon her prostrate form to accommodate him. He looked at her strangely and she wondered again this time on what the problem was.

“Funmi, I need to talk to you about something.” He began

Uh uh, here it comes. “What is the problem?”

“Oh, there’s no problem. It’s just that I don’t know how you will take this and I want to assure you I mean no disrespect, please.”

Just spit it out and save me from the misery. “Okay, shoot.”

“I like you Funmi. Since the first time I saw you something in you drew me. I’ve been fighting it because I don’t want to seem like I’m taking advantage of you but I don’t want to fight it anymore. I want you to be mine.” He said earnestly

Funmi was speechless. She wouldn’t have imagined in her wildest dreams that this would come from him. But he has been such a gentleman and never indicated any of these feelings, she thought. Although, if I could read between the lines, I would have seen the reading on the wall; the concern and help without asking for payment in cash or kind should have been warning enough. All these thoughts whirled in her mind as she looked at him making small movement on the sofa beside her.

“I don’t know what to say.” She finally answered

Biyi looked up. “Say you’ll be mine.” He implored her.

He looks so lost, his feelings must be real. But do I want this?
The attraction is there but isn’t it better to focus on my career for now? “I really want to focus on my career for now.” Don’t alienate him, better reassure him. “Don’t get me wrong, I like you but I think it’s better if we don’t mix business with pleasure for now.”

“Really? That’s your answer? How do you propose I turn off my feelings?”

Funmi took his hand in hers. “I understand but can you please try? For me?”

He looked deep into her eyes and Funmi was lost for a moment. She avoided his gaze when it seems like they’ve been staring at one another for ages. Why am I fighting this?

He squeezed her hand. “I can’t do that Funmi. I’d rather you change your mind. But I’ll not pressure you nevertheless.”

It was at that moment that Funmi knew she was in danger of falling in love with Biyi. A lesser man would have exerted pressure and collected his pound of flesh regardless of her feelings. Biyi is a greater man and she’ll do well to guide her heart if she’s going to abide by her decision. She resolved to go back home to Enugu and come back only when something concrete comes up.

Funmi left for Enugu two days later amidst protests from Biyi. It didn’t take long for her to go back to Abuja though as duty called.

Over the course of six months, she shuffled between Abuja and Enugu, went for concerts and music shows and gradually gained glory. Biyi was ever persistent with his invaluable help and each time she came around he accommodated her.

He continually made his feelings known and Funmi continually denied him and herself. Little did she know that a major game changer will soon manifest.

…What will this be? Watchout in the next Episode

Source: http://www.bussydave.com.ng/2015/12/story-unreciprocated-love-episode-3
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by Olajhidey22(m): 3:36pm On Dec 21, 2015
nerdfrost:
. Where the update,I dey wait @op

So sorry for the delay in updating please!

To read all the full episode at once check www.bussydave.com.ng/category/entertainment
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by nerdfrost(m): 11:56pm On Dec 21, 2015
Nice update,guess I'll read the rest on that site
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by Johnnycrash(m): 1:39am On Dec 23, 2015
Very interesting Piece. Good story telling skills OP.
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by Olajhidey22(m): 7:28pm On Dec 25, 2015
Johnnycrash:
Very interesting Piece. Good story telling skills OP.

Thanks @JohnCrash...Am Glad you love this!
Hope you've been following the remaining episode on www.bussydave.com.ng/category/entertainment.

I bet you can't predict how this story will end
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by Olajhidey22(m): 7:30pm On Dec 25, 2015
nerdfrost:
Nice update,guess I'll read the rest on that site
Thanks @nerdfrost...Am Glad you love this..Hope you've been following the remaining episode?

Am sure you will love to read this piece till the end!
Thanks so much for your word of encouragement
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by aprilwise(m): 8:31am On Dec 26, 2015
Pls more updates.

1 Like

Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by Olajhidey22(m): 5:52pm On Dec 27, 2015
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by aprilwise(m): 8:36pm On Dec 27, 2015
Funmi don't know what she want initially. She expect biyi to wait for her like statue in one position. Thanks
Re: Story: Unreciprocated Love... by Olajhidey22(m): 10:21pm On Dec 27, 2015
aprilwise:
Funmi don't know what she want initially. She expect biyi to wait for her like statue in one position. Thanks

Exactly!
She never opened her heart to love and when she eventually did it was too late for her...She's loosed a rare gem!

(1) (Reply)

The New Guy (short Story) / Just Like The Dew.....(a Family Show) / +18 Story: The Assistant Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.