Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos (6513 Views)

My Cotonou Experience With Saintjoel / My Weird Cotonou Experience / Hiliaryautos Is My Number 1.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by biggiyke(m): 7:54am On Dec 19, 2015
So I was searching for my next car after driving my 2008 FX35 for 3 years. I was in love with the new BMW X3, so I informed my car dealers and also placed an advert here on nairaland.
After weeks of hunting all over Lagos, I had no choice but to explore the Cotonou option. I have never been a fan of Cotonou or Pre-Order deals. I prefer walking into a car shop in Lagos, test drive, pay and drive my car home myself, same day. No issues, no stories.
I went through the posts of some Cotonou dealers here on nairaland and finally settled for Hillary Autos. I called him up and in a few days, he located a 2012 BMW X3 in Cotonou. Halleluyah!!!! We met at Badagry on a thurday morning, and by 9am, we were live at the Cotonou car market.
Meeeeen, see cars. I tell you, don't go to Cotonou if you have not made a strong decision on a particular vehicle, otherwise, you will end up buying an entirely different car. So I saw my BMW X3, but it wasn't the exact option that I wanted. It was the xdrive28i, the 3.0L engine without the twin-power turbo. I wanted the xdrive35i, 300hp, 300 lb.ft of torque!!!!!
So I left the car and we started searching for my option all day. Sadly, by 3.30pm, I still could not find another X3. Time was running out and I had to make a decision b4 the banks closed in Nigeria.
We went back for the first X3 that we saw, negotioated, deposited 50,000naira and left back to Seme border. I withdrew the money, changed to cfa and we headed back to Cotonou. I paid for the car, collected my 50k deposit and left back to Lagos, leaving my car in Hillary's care.

to be continued.....

1 Share

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by ibkgab001: 7:59am On Dec 19, 2015
They should have re pack the car In opposite direction to others in line

That will indicate someone has already paid for it

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by biggiyke(m): 8:29am On Dec 19, 2015
ibkgab001:
They should have re pack the car In opposite direction to others in line

That will indicate some has already paid for it
these pictures were taken b4 purchase
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by freshvine(f): 8:40am On Dec 19, 2015
Except this is a plot for a drama series, I don't see the need for the suspense.

Please kindly continue ooo

2 Likes

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by mekzyjoe(m): 9:16am On Dec 19, 2015
Many mata again
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by Isakazz: 9:33am On Dec 19, 2015
Patiently following...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by biggiyke(m): 10:44am On Dec 19, 2015
I paid Hiliary's Cotonou agent for the Cotonou clearing and also paid Hillary himself for the Nigerian clearing. He assured me that my car will be with me by Saturday morning. I just set my mind to Monday so that I wont develop high BP if he fails to deliver on Saturday. I arrived Lagos safely that Thursday night.
All of Friday, I just hold myself make I no call am. True to his words, he called me Friday night around 7pm that my car had been cleared and was on the way to his house in Badagry. I was so excited. He promised to deliver first thing Saturday morning.
On Saturday, I was up b4 6am. Let me digress a bit. You see, I had already sold my car to a friend, so I was sharing my wife's car with her. You know how it is with women. All my paroles were suspended grin grin. My neighbours have been asking what happened to my car. Some of them don dey gossip say e be like say things don red for me cool cool.
So u can understand why I was super excited. I was gonna show off my 2012 BMW X3 xdrive28i!!!! I called Hillary, said his driver was already on his way to my house. This was around 7am. I was in cloud9. Oh boy!!!!!
8am. No call, no car.
9am. No call, no car.
Nna meen.
I called Hiliary.....

To be continued.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by biggiyke(m): 10:48am On Dec 19, 2015
my dear, when u buy ur first German machine, there is need for suspense o. grin grin
freshvine:
Except this is a plot for a drama series, I don't see the need for the suspense.

Please kindly continue ooo
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by Ochiske(m): 11:04am On Dec 19, 2015
this gonn be interesting.
make I pack here
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by ddhandsome2955: 11:17am On Dec 19, 2015
Old boy I hope you are aware that you are dealing with the public. Coming to tell the public about the harrow experience you had with car agent then turning it to movie episode look childish and not funny. Nobody is reading for this your suspense drama and get straight to the point . mtchew

2 Likes

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by MANGAM(m): 11:26am On Dec 19, 2015
Beg come finish the gist @biggiyke
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by diportivo: 11:28am On Dec 19, 2015
So he called by 7am dat d driver was on his way

9am u neva see driver

Car left badagry....

2hr.......

Na ikorodu u dey live bros grin grin grin

*spreads mat*

1 Like

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by king406(m): 11:46am On Dec 19, 2015
I hope this won't turn out to be worst than oseri's case o sad
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by biggiyke(m): 11:49am On Dec 19, 2015
ddhandsome2955:
Old boy I hope you are aware that you are dealing with the public. Coming to tell the public about the harrow experience you had with car agent then turning it to movie episode look childish and not funny. Nobody is reading for this your suspense drama and get straight to the point . mtchew
im glad you acknowledge the fact that this is a public forum. as such, I have the right to tell my story any way I like. you also have the right of choice. you can choose to read my story the way I write it, or you can move on to the next topic. either way, I don't have any f``k to give to you..
what makes you think I have the time to write this story all at once? even if I had the time, what if I choose not to get to the point? you see, u don't have to take life too seriously. u need to lighten up.
by the way, I didn't say anything about a harrowing experience. I guess, u cant read well either.

14 Likes

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 19, 2015
grin

When we go wash the car na?
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by biggiyke(m): 11:52am On Dec 19, 2015
guy, u be correct
tooltip:
grin

When we go wash the car na?
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by okirewaju(f): 11:54am On Dec 19, 2015
Sounds positive at the end i think
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by Nobody: 11:58am On Dec 19, 2015
oya finish the tori na....at least make we follow you thank God cheesy
biggiyke:
guy, u be correct
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by biggiyke(m): 12:04pm On Dec 19, 2015
9am no call, no car.
I called Hillary.

Guy, how far na?
Oga Iyke, something happened o.

My heart beat revved up to 5000rpm. Redline.

Wetin happen?
The driver just called me now, the car is draining battery.
How?
Any battery we put, it will start, then after awhile, the engine will die. The battery is not charging. We don use like 3 batteries already.

That was my conversation with Hiliary. I knew I was in relegation battle with Chelsea at that moment. Car wen I use my hand and leg test drive for Cotonou. Car wey them drive from Cotonou to Seme border with him 4 legs. Car wen I suppose take enter club that night. Chai!! According to Mourinho, I felt betrayed.

At that moment, I just assumed that he wanted to make some quick cash from my desperation. Maybe, he wants me to send money to 'fix' the car b4 it gets to me. But I wasn't to be fooled. So I told him not to worry. I will come to see the car wherever it is. He asked me not to bother that he would take care of it. After 30mins, I couldn't hold it anymore. I called him that I was on my way to Badagry. After all efforts to discourage me, he accepted.

11am. I left for Badagry.

To be continued....
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by whirlwind7(m): 12:14pm On Dec 19, 2015
biggiyke:
9am no call, no car.
I called Hillary.

Guy, how far na?

Wetin happen?
How?
Any battery we put, it will start, then after awhile, the engine will die. The battery is not charging. We don use like 3 batteries already.

That was my conversation with Hiliary. I knew I was in relegation battle with Chelsea at that moment. Car wen I use my hand and leg test drive for Cotonou. Car wey them drive from Cotonou to Seme border with him 4 legs. Car wen I suppose take enter club that night. Chai!! According to Mourinho, I felt betrayed.

At that moment, I just assumed that he wanted to make some quick cash from my desperation. Maybe, he wants me to send money to 'fix' the car b4 it gets to me. But I wasn't to be fooled. So I told him not to worry. I will come to see the car wherever it is. He asked me not to bother that he would take care of it. After 30mins, I couldn't hold it anymore. I called him that I was on my way to Badagry. After all efforts to discourage me, he accepted.

To be continued....

grin grin grin
I dey enjoy ur story die!
I got the feeling it all ended well. Your tone indicates so.

Now, tell me where to pick up just a single bottle of orijin. I need to make a toast to your new "baby"

1 Like

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by kingreign(m): 12:19pm On Dec 19, 2015
biggiyke:
8am. No call, no car.
9am. No call, no car.
Nna meen.
I called Hiliary.....

To be continued.

angry bia hiere, nwokem anuma like as you march blake for hiere, biko come and complete this story before i vex
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by freshvine(f): 12:24pm On Dec 19, 2015
biggiyke:
9am no call, no car.
I called Hillary.

Guy, how far na?

Wetin happen?
How?

To be continued....

My question.

Since you bought the car in a park right there in cotonou, is there any need for custom clearing? I was of the view that cars at the lots already have the cotonou duties integrated in their prices.

Point of order... You should make this thread educative instead of self servicing. We expect hints, fact and figures, challenges, etc.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by kingreign(m): 12:40pm On Dec 19, 2015
freshvine:

My question.

Since you bought the car in a park right there in cotonou, is there any need for custom clearing? I was of the view that cars at the lots already have the cotonou duties integrated in their prices.

Point of order... You should make this thread educative instead of self servicing. We expect hints, fact and figures, challenges, etc.

Well, you must pay for Benin republic's custom duty which is about 135,000 (/I am not too sure again sha), then pay for NCS custom duty which is based on Value,Year, Model etc of the said car.

Elbashyr, I hail thee... smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by elbashyr(m): 1:10pm On Dec 19, 2015
kingreign:

Well, you must pay for Benin republic's custom duty which is about 135,000 (/I am not too sure again sha), then pay for NCS custom duty which is based on Value,Year, Model etc of the said car.

Elbashyr, I hail thee... smiley

Kingreign......?

Weldon ooo,compliment of the season.

1 Like

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by biggiyke(m): 1:17pm On Dec 19, 2015
freshvine:

My question.

The govt of the Benin Republic, aka Cotonou, appreciates the importance and value of the auto importation business to their economy. Thus, they try to encourage importers, mostly Lebanese, to import cars to West Africa via Cotonou port. It will interest to know that this Cotonou auto market services not only Nigeria but other landlocked West African countries such as Mali, Burkinafaso etc.
One such way of encouraging the auto import business is to reduce the financial burden of the importer by transferring the duty payment to the customer.
Most of these Lebanese import hundreds of cars monthly. Imagine paying duty on each and every car and then the car sits for weeks or months waiting for a buyer. Rather, the importers do not pay duty. They simply move their vehicles from the ship to the market.
When finally any car is sold, the buyer will pay duty. This frees up capital for the importer.
In my case, I paid 500,000cfa (196,000naira at 1,000cfa/392naira exchange rate) for the Cotonou clearing.

I hope by these few points of mine, I have proven to you that I can also be educative. Thank you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 19, 2015
bigiyke you big pass this thing na..... grin

release me biko cheesy
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by freshvine(f): 1:31pm On Dec 19, 2015
biggiyke:

The govt of the Benin Republic, aka Cotonou, appreciates the importance and value of the auto importation business to their economy. Thus, they try to encourage importers, mostly Lebanese, to import cars to West Africa via Cotonou port. It will interest to know that this Cotonou auto market services not only Nigeria but other landlocked West African countries such as Mali, Burkinafaso etc.
One such way of encouraging the auto import business is to reduce the financial burden of the importer by transferring the duty payment to the customer.
Most of these Lebanese import hundreds of cars monthly. Imagine paying duty on each and every car and then the car sits for weeks or months waiting for a buyer. Rather, the importers do not pay duty. They simply move their vehicles from the ship to the market.
When finally any car is sold, the buyer will pay duty. This frees up capital for the importer.
In my case, I paid 500,000cfa (196,000naira at 1,000cfa/392naira exchange rate) for the Cotonou clearing.

I hope by these few points of mine, I have proven to you that I can also be educative. Thank you.

Not only educative but highly informative.

So in reality cars exported to cotonou doesn't incure demurrage since the have a working sales policy?

You made mention of retrieving your earlier deposit before making payment in cefa equivalent, doesn't that form part of your bargain?

Sorry for my numerous questions, it's geared towards making your thread an interesting read.
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by biggiyke(m): 1:32pm On Dec 19, 2015
I got to Badagry around noon. I called Hillary and he picked me up in a Toyota Avalon with tinted glasses front and back. As I enter back seat, he was with two other hefty guys in the car already.
I greeted them, good afternoon sir, one by one, three of them individually. I humble. I fear. I started praying.
We zoomed off. The driver was doing like 160kmph heading towards Seme border. after like 5 minutes, I asked Hillary, bros shebi u say the car dey for Badagry? He smiled. I thought of all my sins and wondered if I had enough time to confess all of them before I go.
I quickly sent a BBM message to my friend with Hillary's name and phone number and a description of the car. Just incase I make front page on Nairaland with graphic warning attached.
I started praying and confessing my sins from Primary4 cos that was the class that I got spoilt. Just wen I was about confessing my SS2 sins, I noticed the car slowing down. And then we veered off the highway into a sandy path towards palm trees and the beach. I gather my last liver and asked Hillary, bros u know say my wife just born? He laughed again. I cried.
Soon, we came to a halt and one of the hefty guys stepped out.

To be continued...

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by freshvine(f): 1:37pm On Dec 19, 2015
biggiyke:
I got to Badagry around noon. I called Hillary and he picked me up in a Toyota Avalon with tinted glasses front and back. As I enter back seat, he was with two other hefty guys in the car already.
I greeted them, good afternoon sir, one by one, three of them individually. I humble. I fear. I started praying.
We zoomed off. The driver was doing like 160kmph heading towards Seme border. after like 5 minutes, I asked Hillary, bros shebi u say the car dey for Badagry? He smiled. I thought of all my sins and wondered if I had enough time to confess all of them before I go.
I quickly sent a BBM message to my friend with Hillary's name and phone number and a description of the car. Just incase I make front page on Nairaland with graphic warning attached.
I started praying and confessing my sins from Primary4 cos that was the class that I got spoilt. Just wen I was about confessing my SS2 sins, I noticed the car slowing down. And then we veered off the highway into a sandy path towards palm trees and the beach. I gather my last liver and asked Hillary, bros u know say my wife just born? He laughed again. I cried.
Soon, we came to a halt and one of the hefty guys stepped out.

To be continued...

I swear you have killed me with laughter. Lol

5 Likes

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by biggiyke(m): 1:54pm On Dec 19, 2015
freshvine:

Not only educative but highly informative.

So in reality cars exported to cotonou doesn't incure demurrage since the have a working sales policy?

You made mention of retrieving your earlier deposit before making payment in cefa equivalent, doesn't that form part of your bargain?

Sorry for my numerous questions, it's geared towards making your thread an interesting read.

there is no demurrage to incur since the cars leave the port as soon as they arrive.
the 50,000naira deposit was just to secure the vehicle for atleast 48hours. this is based on the assumption that the buyer does not have cfa currency. otherwise, any deposit in any currency is acceptable.
it does not form part of the bargain since the deal is made in cfa not naira.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by king406(m): 2:08pm On Dec 19, 2015
I hope to hear hilliary's side of the story sha
Re: My Cotonou Experience With HiliaryAutos by biggiyke(m): 2:31pm On Dec 19, 2015
The hefty guy got down and went into a hut.
Seconds later, he came out with the key. Behind the hut was my precious baby. She was just like I saw her at Cotonou. Ever so sexy.
We tried again with the battery of the Avalon and my X3 started. Slowly but surely, she drained the battery and sputtered to a halt. Hiliary called a roadside 'rewire' that claimed to know BMW. I was not in support of any roadside tampering with my baby. But Hillary assured me that the guy knew his onions. Reluctantly, I accepted.
He said it was the alternator that had gone bad. Said it cost 15k at Ladipo. Hillary offered to bear the cost of the alternator and I would deduct it from his outstanding balance.
I left back to Lagos. Soon as I got home, I checked the price of a 2012 X3 alternator. The chepest I saw for a refurbished one was $600!!! Where this rewire wan see alternator for 15k? Hope he doesn't intend using a pencil light camry alternator!!
immediately I called Hiliary and expressed my reservation. He once again assured me of the rewire's expertise.
I had a very dull sunday. Church sef no sweet me. My mind dey Badagry.
Monday morning, the rewire said the alternator he bought was not the right one. Na there I begin doubt the guy true true. I asked him to stop all activities and return my alternator to my car. I will tow it down to Lagos on tuesday.
To my surprise, Hiliary called that the guy had gone back to the market. I called the rewire and he said he had seen the right alternator but the cheapest he got was 70k. That was reasonable to me given that it cost $600 for a used one in USA.
I asked the rewire to return my alternator as e bad.
Tuesday morning, I waited to hear that alternator has been fixed so I could arrange for towing. Na so I wait till night. The rewire couldn't fix back the alternator. While trying to force the alternator with an iron bar, they ruptured the oil cooler.
My clean carfax certified 2012 BMW X3 was gradually turning to an abused Badagry condemned 2012 BMW X3.

To be continued....

3 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2005 Lexus Rx330 Fullest Options @3.5 Asking / Quick Sale Toks 2019 Honda Accord N10m / Tested,trusted & Satified..get Any Car(s) Of Choice At Cheap Rate From Cotonuo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.