Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,128 members, 7,852,841 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 06:55 AM

Medical Doctors, I Need Your Help - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Doctors, I Need Your Help (596 Views)

2,000 Medical Doctors Leave Nigeria Yearly / Salaries Of Medical Doctors In Nigeria / Doctors!!! I Need Info About Prostate Cancer Symptoms,causes And How To Avert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Doctors, I Need Your Help by Slimmybody: 9:43am On Dec 20, 2015
I am a Biochemistry graduate, done serving and I have been contemplating on returning to the University for an MBBS degree.

I said, contemplating because I am 25 years presently which means, all things being equal, I would finish medical school at age 30 going through the Direct Entry route. (I have already been admitted for the 2015/2016 session in one of the Southwestern Universities to resume early next year.)

That's why I am turning to this platform for enlightenment as per if there is 'age' discrimination when it comes to Internship and Residency in the country.

So, I need advice and experience of those who had a fair knowledge in this. And pardon my ignorance, if my question sound amateurish.

Thank you in anticipation of the responses I would receive to this.
Re: Medical Doctors, I Need Your Help by Nobody: 9:55am On Dec 20, 2015
Sorry for deviating. When do you now want to start life.

I don't think you will be discriminated based on your age though.

I wish you good luck

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors, I Need Your Help by nervorum: 10:37am On Dec 20, 2015
Slimmybody:

I am a Biochemistry graduate, done serving and I have been contemplating on returning to the University for an MBBS degree.

I said, contemplating because I am 25 years presently which means, all things being equal, I would finish medical school at age 30 going through the Direct Entry route. (I have already been admitted for the 2015/2016 session in one of the Southwestern Universities to resume early next year.)

That's why I am turning to this platform for enlightenment as per if there is 'age' discrimination when it comes to Internship and Residency in the country.

So, I need advice and experience of those who had a fair knowledge in this. And pardon my ignorance, if my question sound amateurish.

Thank you in anticipation of the responses I would receive to this.

No age restrictions for admission, internship and residency.But remember its a 'long walk' to the mountain top, especially as you would be competing with younger folks.

You could just botch the whole medicine idea and pursue a postgraduate (medical biochem, biitech, etc)
The time it will take you to complete basic training and residency to add 'butter to bread' would be enough to get a PH.d and more. Most doctors are now taking that route.Medicine in Nigeria is not worth the whole wahala anymore.

With a degree in biochem, post graduate in public health or any of its many branches is an option that would take you 'there', in no long a time.Jobs are relatively more available, besides academia.

Again, follow your heart..whatever you choose, goodluck!
Re: Medical Doctors, I Need Your Help by Slimmybody: 1:17pm On Dec 20, 2015
Thank you for the responses so far.
Re: Medical Doctors, I Need Your Help by Nobody: 3:59pm On Dec 20, 2015
Anyone who's told not to embark on the journey won't believe it until they get there.

Pls go for it.

For you, it may just be worth the stress. Fulfil your dream.
Re: Medical Doctors, I Need Your Help by Henovy: 4:58pm On Dec 20, 2015
My dear go for it. You said you have already been admitted. There is no discrimination whatsoever as a result of age. Whoever advises you to go for Phd is not doing you any good. After getting a Phd, you start searching for a job in the University of ?Lagbaja instead of starting a practice if no job is forth coming? By the way, I thought you were requesting for advice from medical doctors in the house. So what was that? Was it from one of them or rather one of us?
Re: Medical Doctors, I Need Your Help by tchiwinnie: 5:02pm On Dec 20, 2015
No age restrictions for internship or residency.
Re: Medical Doctors, I Need Your Help by Slimmybody: 8:18pm On Dec 20, 2015
Thanks all for these pieces of advice.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help A Ring Is Stuck In My Finger / Osun Doctors May Suspend Strike / Fat Diminisher – Wesley Virgin Diet Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.