Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? (26013 Views)

Should I Worry About Fever Or Not: Find Out Here / 3 Simple Ways To Live A Life Without Worry (hakuna Matata) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by meldeezyne(f): 5:06pm On Dec 20, 2015
Excessive flatulence has two harmless causes: Eating foods that make you pass gas and swallowing air . However, excessive gas and bloating can be one of the signs of colon cancer .

Question: When should I worry about passing too much gas?

It’s embarrassing to admit, but I pass gas up to 20 times per day, sometimes. Is this normal or is it a sign of something?Thanks to urban slang, there are over dozens of ways to say “pass gas” including flatulence , fart, toot, break wind, and the all-time most colorful phrase, “cut the cheese”. Regardless of what name you give your emissions, most healthy people release gas throughout the day – the average is between 14 and 23 times per day

Answer:

How Much is Too Much?

Your doctor might encourage you to count the number of times you pass gas daily, as well as start a food and drink journal to try and find the root cause of the excess gas. Anything over 23 toots per day is considered more than is normal, but still may not warrant concern or panic.

Does the Smell Mean Anything?

Actually, the smell of your gas depends on the food that you eat and is a result of the gases made in your small intestine and colon during digestion. A foul smell doesn’t mean anything, per say, except for a possibility of more embarrassment when passing gas happens at an inopportune time. The general consensus is that animal proteins, such as eggs or meat, cause more foul-smelling gas, whereas soluble fiber (like that found in fruits and vegetables) can cause gas, but it won’t smell as bad.

Gas Making Conditions

Although excessive flatulence is one of the symptoms of colon cancer, that is usually not the culprit in otherwise healthy adults. The majority of adults may simply be more cognizant of passing gas, eat foods that cause it, or they may subconsciously be doing things that add to their gas, such as chewing gum or using straws to drink.

Some other causes for excess gas include:

Irritable bowel syndrome

Lactose intolerance

Malabsorption problems

Stomach illness (such as food poisoning)

Foods that Cause Flatulence

Most people know what foods will upset their stomach and cause them to bloat or pass gas. For instance, the cruciferous vegetables, like cauliflower and broccoli, are common gas-causing culprits for many people. Excessive carbohydrate intake – including pasta and bread — can also cause extra gas. Some other flatulence-forming foods include:

Lentils and beans

Cabbage

Dairy (especially if you are lactose intolerant)

Brussels sprouts

Alcohol (especially beer)

Onions

Whole grains

What Can I Do About It?

Most importantly, if your gas, bloating and flatulence are uncomfortable or concern you, you need to discuss these symptoms with your doctor. He or she can help discern if the cause is something serious, such as cancer, especially if it is paired with other symptoms of the disease, like weight loss, rectal bleeding or a change in bowel habits.

If your doctor gives you the green light that you’re disease-free and sends you home with a new prescription for anti-gas medications, such as simethicone, there are some things you can do to help with the flatulence including:

Slowly introduce more insoluble fiber into your diet (think bran and edible vegetable peels)
Limit your consumption of carbohydrates, such as pasta or corn
Drink plenty of fresh water daily
Do not use straws when you drink
Avoid carbonated beverages
Exercise daily, if it’s safe for you to do so
Stop chewing gum
Slow down and enjoy each meal – don’t gulp it down

Although some of these things primarily cause burping, or releasing gas through your mouth, if the air make
s it past your stomach it will be released sooner or later as a toot.

American Cancer Society. (2006). American Cancer Society’s Complete Guide to Colorectal Cancer . Clifton Fields, NE: American Cancer Society.
National Digestive Disease Information Clearinghouse. (n.d.). Gas in the Digestive Tract. Accessed October 21, 2012.
Walker, A. & V

https://meldeezyne./2015/12/20/when-should-i-worry-about-passing-too-much-gas/

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by CARLOSZ: 5:51pm On Dec 20, 2015
Na so dem go dey lai lai

1 Like

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by sukkot: 8:02pm On Dec 20, 2015
hmm wahala
Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by damton(m): 8:02pm On Dec 20, 2015
MESS TALK.
Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 20, 2015

1 Like

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by ichommy(m): 8:05pm On Dec 20, 2015
nice Information smiley
Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by Occipital: 8:06pm On Dec 20, 2015
I was travelling to Benin the other day on an AC bus. All the windows were closed. I was at the rear.

I didn't evacuate some 2-3 days before the journey.

I gassed. A dangerous one.

I'm still wondering HOW the entire passengers...and the driver...unanimously agreed to slide their windows open within seconds....abandoning the AC they all paid for..

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by ayinde2ade(m): 8:06pm On Dec 20, 2015
grin grin fart eh!
Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by celebgists(m): 8:07pm On Dec 20, 2015
Reading it alone am already smelling fart

1 Like

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by ifeanyi83(m): 8:08pm On Dec 20, 2015
Very educative piece. I still say it's always better to keep it out than hold it in.

3 Likes

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by Jibsonified(m): 8:09pm On Dec 20, 2015
Hmmmmmmmm....!!!!!!!

*covers nose and runs out of thread*

#SuckAwaySmell!!!!

2 Likes

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by kingofchess(m): 8:09pm On Dec 20, 2015
all dis mess u people are sharing...there is god oooo.....
Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Dec 20, 2015
Occipital:
I was travelling to Benin the other day on an AC bus. All the windows were closed. I was at the rear.
I'm still wondering HOW the entire passengers...and the driver...unanimously agreed to slide their windows open within seconds....abandoning the AC they all paid for..

Mad man grin... I know say u lock up like say u say u no know wet in happen

14 Likes

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by Jibsonified(m): 8:10pm On Dec 20, 2015
Occipital:

Evuls shocked cheesy grin shocked

8 Likes

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by jpipe2000(m): 8:10pm On Dec 20, 2015
Nice one
Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by honeymills(f): 8:11pm On Dec 20, 2015
Nice one.Fartulence! Olorun ko da ile iso.... I fart a lot and I believe its a sign of being healthy and alive. I don't mind a guy that fart out loud, atleast, I will b prepared....but that silent and smooth sailing one ..... shocked is soooooooo deadly. Its atomic gas in d making. That, I can't take. Flatulence should b a case study. Infact, ladies should add it to dos and donts in relationship layouts.

12 Likes

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by Captain001(m): 8:11pm On Dec 20, 2015
Gassing is a natural phenomenon the smell of which is a function of what we consume. It's no crime abeg. EroticAngela that feels it's a shame to poo in her boyfriend's house should come and read ooh.

1 Like

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by Nicepoker(m): 8:11pm On Dec 20, 2015
Occipital:

u released weapon of mass destruction. What were u expecting.

7 Likes

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by Nicepoker(m): 8:12pm On Dec 20, 2015
Female frat de smell pass. Cos it escapes from 2 holes.

7 Likes

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by gabazin080(m): 8:13pm On Dec 20, 2015
Why should I be worried about the number of times I farted. My mom says it's a sign of good health and will tell you INU A MO O (your stomach will be clean)
Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Dec 20, 2015
arrrrrgggghhhh.... #vomits#

1 Like

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by silentachieverr(m): 8:14pm On Dec 20, 2015
Nigeria's staple food is rice. Its still a surprise how bad most Nigerians fart smell. Terrible! undecided

1 Like

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by temibobo8(f): 8:15pm On Dec 20, 2015
lol...so cutting d cheese s anoda name fr farting..i cn bet VGC PEEPS came up wif dat

1 Like

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by Taku555(m): 8:19pm On Dec 20, 2015
Occipital:

Bad guy

3 Likes

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by Ojestas(m): 8:19pm On Dec 20, 2015
Op. . i get a friend wey be say if Im mess, eyes go dey pepper you. . you gaz sneeze shaaa ni. . Wetin we go call that one??

That aside, me i break wind like 30 times daily o, and that's if i don't eat beans. Is it normal?

2 Likes

Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by ifyan(m): 8:20pm On Dec 20, 2015
Did fart is also one of the beauty of Nature
Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by Ojestas(m): 8:20pm On Dec 20, 2015
Nicepoker:
Female frat de smell pass. Cos it escapes from 2 holes.
Lmao !
Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by toprealman: 8:21pm On Dec 20, 2015
thus article stinks
Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by mekonglobal(m): 8:23pm On Dec 20, 2015
Oyibo people and disease, we re nt yet tru with Hiv, Aids and Ebola now na cancer..
Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by success1smyn(m): 8:25pm On Dec 20, 2015
messers, u hear?
Re: When Should I Worry About Passing Too Much Gas? by honeymills(f): 8:27pm On Dec 20, 2015
Occipital:

laf don make me fart/mess. grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Teenage Boy Drowns In Ogun Hotel Swimming Pool On Christmas Day / Pile (hemorrhoids - Idi Yiyo) Permanent And Natural Treatment / Is There A Cure For A Smoker's Black Lips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.