Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,758 members, 7,820,634 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Why Do Mostly Igbos Travel Home For Christmas? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Mostly Igbos Travel Home For Christmas? (1298 Views)

Top Things Nigerians Living Overseas Do When They Travel Home / Act Of Charity - Poor Kids Get N5,000 Each For Christmas From Kind Traveler / Take Advantage Of Owning A Home For Your Self Invest Now. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Mostly Igbos Travel Home For Christmas? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 20, 2015
This is something I've noticed since I was little. Everywhere in Nigeria, traveling home for the holidays is a phenomenon peculiar to those who originate from the East.

Who do they do this? I've always wondered. Even those who reside in developed nations always make space to travel to their various villages whenever the festive season approaches. I don't see how spending Christmas in villages that provide no basic amenities like running water, constant electricity or good road networks is more enjoyable than staying put in developed nations where these are taken for granted.

Do they use this system to distribute and/or keep wealth amongst themselves? Do they see it more as an exercise in sharing and keeping business ideas amongst themselves? Is it an exercise of showing off wealth and trying to convince people with children of youth age to encourage their offspring to travel out of rural areas?

WHY? WHY?! WHY?!
Re: Why Do Mostly Igbos Travel Home For Christmas? by Specialbaby(f): 9:58pm On Dec 20, 2015
It everywhere op.
Re: Why Do Mostly Igbos Travel Home For Christmas? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Dec 20, 2015
Specialbaby:
It everywhere op.

From my knowledge, for every 11 people who travel home for Christmas 10 are Igbo. I want to understand why.
States dense in Igbo population are soon to get empty starting from three days time. Its not the same in other regions I've lived.
Re: Why Do Mostly Igbos Travel Home For Christmas? by jamex93(m): 10:07pm On Dec 20, 2015
grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Mostly Igbos Travel Home For Christmas? by babafunny(m): 3:08pm On Dec 21, 2015
Christmas is a yearly celebration for those of the Christian faith all over the world to mark the birth of Jesus Christ. Friends wish each merry Christmas.... for more details, follow the link below
http://www.techvaid.com/merry-christmas-christmas-songs-christmas-decorations/
Re: Why Do Mostly Igbos Travel Home For Christmas? by nabiz(m): 5:11pm On Dec 21, 2015
No place like home. The major reason is that is the only time u have to see ur old friend. Have family discussions, possible fine a girl to marry,
Re: Why Do Mostly Igbos Travel Home For Christmas? by nabiz(m): 5:15pm On Dec 21, 2015
No place like home. The major reason is that is the only time u have to see ur old friend. Have family discussions, and possible fine a girl to marry. In fact my brother e dey sweet ooo. Infact if u have igbo friend I beg try follow him to villa whether u go gree go back to ur village.
Re: Why Do Mostly Igbos Travel Home For Christmas? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Dec 25, 2015
Another angle I've heard to this(a more plausible one at that) is that Igbos from all over the world converge to their villages in order to find eligible suitors for marriage.
It is believed after the civil war an unspoken rule was created that Igbos must unite within themselves in order to remain a strong majority ethnic group. In order to remain the top dog in the country they must marry within themselves to multiply numbers and ensure enough hands are available when distributing wealth or in times of war.

I believe this strongly. Anyone with differing views?
Re: Why Do Mostly Igbos Travel Home For Christmas? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 25, 2015
nabiz:
No place like home. The major reason is that is the only time u have to see ur old friend. Have family discussions, and possible fine a girl to marry. In fact my brother e dey sweet ooo. Infact if u have igbo friend I beg try follow him to villa whether u go gree go back to ur village.
This is close to the reason I learned today.

(1) (Reply)

Steel Fabrication With Racking & Shelving Solutions / Icpc, Efcc, Dss, Police Who Has The Power To Prosecute? / HOTFUN Cafe 24/7: New Outlet In Festac Town

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.