Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:51 AM

How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria (2033 Views)

N5m Goods From Cotonou Destroyed As Boat Capsized At Bonny Jetty In Rivers State / Fire Outbreak At Oshodi Market, Shops And Cars Destroyed (Photos, Video) / Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by tejpot(m): 10:34pm On Dec 20, 2015
A friend accidentally stumbled on the 'country information' section of Guinness Nigeria Plc website and forwarded the link to me. I have never seen a country so bad-named. It was so nauseating to see my country completely shattered into pieces in the name of providing country details for visitors. Check out some of the screen shots from the site.

Some highlights include

Murtala Muhammed airport is in Ikeja, 14 miles (24km) from the city centre. Business visitors arriving at the airport are at risk of harassment, extortion of foreign currency, theft of baggage and, in extreme cases, abduction. Entry to the terminal building is now restricted but criminals are sometimes able to enter through the departures area.

and these

Roads to and from the airport are among the busiest and most dangerous in the country. Armed criminal gangs target foreign nationals and business people traveling from the airport. Travelers are at risk from armed robbery, carjacking and abduction. The risk of armed attack is greatest at first light, last light and at night when the police presence is lowest. Personnel arriving on international flights after 17.00 can stay at the Sheraton or Protea (Ikeja) hotels or other company procured/advised guest facility overnight, though travel after dark is possible with proper security measures.

City taxis are unreliable, prone to overcharging and a focus for criminal activity. Public transport can be dangerous, unsuitable for business travelers and should be avoided.

A number of incidents and fatal crashes, for example in May 2002, underline poor standards. Planned government reforms do not yet have the desired impact. Personnel are advised to use only airlines with a good safety record; Virgin Nigeria, Arik and Aero Contractors have good reputations; others are adequate.

then these
Lagos suffers pollution like many developing metropolises, which affects the water supply. Visitors should avoid salads, unpeeled fruit and ice, and drink bottled water or bottled drinks.

In my assessment i seriously think those information are unprofessional, sadistic and anti-patriotic for a country that is the largest stout market in all their countries of operation. It is also antithetic to the core values known with multinationals.
I feel this message should be passed around and nonsense of this nature should not be condoned. The Federal Ministry of Information should call Guinness Nigeria to order.

What do you guys think?

3 Likes

Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by tejpot(m): 10:36pm On Dec 20, 2015
more from the link
http://www.guinness-nigeria.com/about/country-information/

Uncle Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Obinoscopy Oya do d needful

Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by lifestyle1(m): 10:41pm On Dec 20, 2015
Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by Nobody: 11:35pm On Dec 20, 2015
omg! they should be sent packing asap
Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by ferhyntorlah(f): 12:39am On Dec 21, 2015
Lalasticlala
Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by abduljabbar4(m): 12:50am On Dec 21, 2015
They must be insane. Buhari should probe themgrin

1 Like

Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by lcoral(f): 4:21am On Dec 21, 2015
The right authorities need to see this. This is a very Wrong perception about our country rather than cracking their heads over social media bill I guess this is a good point for discussion.
Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by victor247: 4:54am On Dec 21, 2015
Not encouraging
Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by tejpot(m): 6:55am On Dec 21, 2015
This material should be considered for frontpage.
Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by ChrisChino(m): 6:58am On Dec 21, 2015
nigeria offend them?
Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by zomoears(m): 9:26am On Dec 21, 2015
Sounds offensive and d patriotic part of me wants to call for their heads...

However, when you look closely, most of what they mentioned there are real. Lagos is really disorganised, and until some standards are applied in Lag, such assessment will continue.

I miss Fashola...

1 Like

Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by tybay: 3:33pm On Dec 21, 2015
@tejpot, I could not help but stumble on your allegations: https://www.nairaland.com/2814113/how-guinness-completely-destroyed-country. It directs one to the country information section of Guinness Nigeria. While you have brought out the negative side highlighted about Nigeria, you have only suceeded in sounding bitter and closing your eyes to the positive side which was also brought to the fore in the 'Business Etiquette' section of the same material you've directed people's attention to.

Instead of inciting people and brainwashing them, why not focus on how you as an individual can contribute to make your country a better place for all to live in and do business peacefully. You and me and all Nigerians at large have our part to play in projecting a positive message about our country so that the foreigners will have positive things to say about us.

Please please and please, read through the image I have screen grabbed and see for yourself that Nigeria is not all about bitter lemons, but more of sweet apples...[img][/img]

1 Like

Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by aikfrank(m): 3:43pm On Dec 21, 2015
That's not the issue.
The issue is,
Is it true?

5 Likes

Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by oginga: 4:40pm On Dec 21, 2015
It's the bitter truth, they are 100% correct.

5 Likes

Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by saints2(f): 5:11pm On Dec 21, 2015
I think they have edited the part you point to... Thank God for proofs...
Fine loading.....
Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by blessedjohn: 5:20pm On Dec 21, 2015
What is this one saying?
tybay:
@tejpot, I could not help but stumble on your allegations: https://www.nairaland.com/2814113/how-guinness-completely-destroyed-country. It directs one to the country information section of Guinness Nigeria. While you have brought out the negative side highlighted about Nigeria, you have only suceeded in sounding bitter and closing your eyes to the positive side which was also brought to the fore in the 'Business Etiquette' section of the same material you've directed people's attention to.

Instead of inciting people and brainwashing them, why not focus on how you as an individual can contribute to make your country a better place for all to live in and do business peacefully. You and me and all Nigerians at large have our part to play in projecting a positive message about our country so that the foreigners will have positive things to say about us.

Please please and please, read through the image I have screen grabbed and see for yourself that Nigeria is not all about bitter lemons, but more of sweet apples...[img][/img]

1 Like

Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by tejpot(m): 11:36pm On Dec 21, 2015
blessedjohn:
What is this one saying?
The guy is from Mongolia
Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by Blackkie: 11:48pm On Dec 21, 2015
Is anything wrong with a company warning its staff about dangers that they may face?
Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by AceRoyal: 1:13am On Dec 22, 2015
undecided
Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by nairaman66(m): 6:35am On Dec 22, 2015
Terrible write up from Guinness.. If this is true, Guiness would have folded up business a long time ago! This is like comparing Nigeria to Somalia!
Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by Danfuster(m): 11:18am On Dec 22, 2015
Pls mods.. Do the needful, guinness shouldn't go free from this
Re: How Guinness Completely Destroyed The Country Nigeria by plsplspls: 5:21pm On Dec 22, 2015
Blackkie:
Is anything wrong with a company warning its staff about dangers that they may face?

You have internal memo's for that. NOT the company website.

Why are companies like ExxonMobil not doing the same? It's called ETHICS. If and when you want to put out true information about a host company , you MUST be professional (i.e. diplomatic) about it.

(1) (Reply)

List Of Filling Stations In Nigeria / 10 Lucrative Food Business Ideas With Zero Capital / Data,dstv,gotv Subscriptions. .. Best Rates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.