Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas (9044 Views)

Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa And Other Tribes Must Live As One - Emir Of Katsina / Who Are The Smartest Tribes In Nigeria? / Why Is There So Much Hatred For Other Tribes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by Nobody: 12:53am On Dec 23, 2015
Jesumed:
1. They Lead In Education

If you don't know that Wole Soyinka is Africa's first Nobel Prize for Literature winner, then you are a learner. Click here to learn more www.learnersforum.com . No other Nigerian has ever won this award. In science and tech, Engr Ayodele Awojobi remains Nigeria's greatest ever. Google about him to confirm. In Medicine, Nigeria's best medical student ever is Victor Olalusi, having graduated from a Russian university with a perfect score of 5.0 CGPA, first of its kind in world's history. He had previously had best WASSCE result in Nigeria in 2004 and highest post utme score in OAU. In Law, you know Gani Fawehinmi, Femi Falana and others. I can go on and on.
Moreover, the best universities in Nigeria are located in the Southwest. UI is incomparable, you know. Ogun State has the highest number of tertiary institutions in Nigeria. The best private universities are owned by Yorubas and situated in the southwest- Covenant, Landmark, Afe Babalola etc. You now know why other tribes rush to the Yoruba land like it's paradise?

2. They Lead in Entertainment

Music is now big business in Nigeria. Historically, the greatest African musician who ever lived was Fela Anikulapo Kuti. The world's greatest award in music is the Grammy Award. The only two Nigerian musicians ever nominated for the Grammy are Femi Kuti and Sunny Ade. None from other tribes. Even the MOBO, top black music award, has been dominated by acts like Tuface, 9ice, D'banj, Wizkid and Davido, from Nigeria. Only Tubaba is the non-Yoruba here. Psquare NEVER win am o, before una start to dey argue. Every artiste now tries to sing in Yoruba e.g. Chidinma and Flavour- Ololufe, Psquare- E je A Jo, etc like sey na only Yoruba language fit make person sell wella. Even Rugged sef go steal Yoruba baba song diss 9ice. Lol. Yorubas rule the Nigerian music world.
In movies, Omotola remains the most celebrated having been listed in TIMES magazine of 2013 as one of the most influential human beings on earth, a feat her close competitor, Genevieve is yet to achieve. Respect Yorubas!

3. They Lead in Leadership/Politics

Love him or hate him, Obasanjo was for many years the most powerful person in Nigerian politics. He remains the first person to have ruled Nigeria as both military and civilian presido. Since the 2011 general elections, the most influential person has been Bola Tinubu(love him or hate him). Historically, the most celebrated Nigerian politician ever is M.K.O Abiola. Do you know that Odumegwu Ojukwu greatly respected Obafemi Awolowo? During the civil war, he said this about Awolowo, ''one day, the Yoruba nation will tear apart from Nigeria without firing a single shot. And it will be through Awo's legacy.'' If Ojukwu could respect Yorubas, who are you not to? Lol.

4. They Lead in Religion

I for no bring religion come here but as e be sey na major role religion dey play for Naija, I say make I bring am. The largest church in Nigeria is the RCCG, founded and led by a Yoruba. MFM, Deeper Life, Gospel Faith etc are all founded and led by Yorubas. Funny thing is, those wey dey beef Yorubas full these churches o, lol. Have you been to SCOAN? Love TB Joshua or hate him, people troop into that church from all over the world, even professors and people who are more educated and exposed than you are. Yes, you! Top non-Yoruba church founders like Pastors Lazarus Mouka and Oyakhilome have their churches' headquarters situated in the Yorubaland. Others are still scrambling for spaces in the Yorubaland, lol. Yorubas welcome and accommodate all of you o. Just respect them!

5. They Rule The Social Media

The largest blog in Nigeria is Nairaland, founded and led by Seun Osewa. Thumbs up bro. I can only imagine how much that dude has made. How I wish he could just declare his assets publicly, so people will would know that those blowing their trumpets about buying a house in Banana Island still be learner for blog business. Lol

6. The Southwest Is The Business Centre of Nigeria

Oya tell me why you carry your business come do for Lagos and you no do am for your village. Business no go move abi? Can you tell me the region in Nigeria where Banana Island, Lekki, Ajah, Victoria Island are situated. I know you wish to live for these areas, shey? Dangote is the richest man in Nigeria, right? Ask him which region most of his investments are situated and why he chose that region. Ask Psquare if they fit sell their house wey dey Banana Island, go buy another one for Aba. Lol, so you see?

I never said Yoruba is the best tribe o. Abeg no misquote me. These are just very few of the reasons you have to respect the Yorubas. I envy them a lot. They deserve every hype they get.

Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by eitsei(m): 10:09pm On Dec 24, 2015
every major posts and positions are first held by yorubas...d first law firm in Nigeria, the first chief justice, first woman to drive a car n so on

2 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by factwriter(m): 5:53pm On Apr 10, 2017
alanmwene:
Correction:Fela was a great musician,but not the greatest African musician who ever lived.He was more known for his militantism than his musical prouesses.Musically,luambo Makiadi alias Franco,the father of Congolese modern music was ways greater than Fella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOl931WovCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLsdZIzleWU

Really? Yet little is known of this Congolese Musician in a land of over 150 million people.

If his popularity could not span to and across African's most populous nation (which is Nigeria), then the man no even reach number Three where Fela take number one.

I was never into Fela or his kind of music though, but we talking about Mega success here not isolated applaud.
Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by OkoNDOoBo: 3:16pm On Apr 11, 2017

You're asking who plays Afro Beat. Femi Kuti(Fela's son), plays Afro Beat exactly like his father and he has been nominated for the Grammy four times. Educate us on what Grammy Awards are.

Other artistes, Davido, D'banj and every other one also use infusion of AfroBeat. Just come to Lagos for the annual Felabration, and you will meet all artistes there. Ask every one of them how they've been influenced by Fela and you will be shocked to hear their response. You'll even be surprised that none knows the Franco you are talking about.

oga edit your posts the only Nigerians that won grammy awards are Yoruba's ,though they re not base in Nigeria but it doesn't change their nationality and tribes

1).SEAL (Olusegun Olumide Adeola Samuel) ; A british soul
and R&B singer and songwriter,born to a Nigerian mother
and a brazillian father. He has sold more than 30 million
album worldwide and has also won 4 Grammy Awards.
2).SADE (Helen Folashade Adu) ; Born in Ibadan,Oyo
state, a british-nigerian singer,songwriter,computer and
record producer,she sold over six millon album becoming
one of the top selling artist of the 80's,she won a Grammy
for her song ''Soldier of Love''.
3).CHAMILLIONAIRE (Hakeem Seriki) ; Is an american
rapper and entrepreneur,and the CEO of chamillitary
entertainment. He released hit including Grammy Award
winning ''Ridin''.
4).Sikiru Adepoju ; Comes from a musical family,Born in
Eruwa part of western Nigeria,He was part of Mickey Hart
group Planet Ddrum whose title album won the Grammy
Award for Best Comtemporary Music Album.
5).Kelvin Olusola ; A beatboxer,saxophonist,songwriter and
producer. He is born to a nigerian psychiatrist Oluwole
Olusola and a Grenadian mother. He won a Grammy with
his band for best arrangement with their work with Daft
Punkd.

2 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by aiir2303(m): 6:39pm On Apr 11, 2017
FLAWLESS VICTORY ..........
OMOLUABIS' WINS
Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by sacramento1212: 9:09pm On Aug 08, 2017
alanmwene:

And femi kuti is you definition of a great musician?
I asked you to give the names of Fela kuti musical descendants who are known in Africa and you failed to give me any.The music,dance and guitar style created by Franco are still here living Thanks to great talents like Papa wemba,Koffi olomide,Fally ipupa,Awilo longomba,..........These guys just changed Franco original beat to make it more commercial.And all these guys conquered Africa not by composing and singing in English but in their native language.Fela was a great musician,but saying he is the greastest African musician ever is an exaggeration.
This is what a call great music!Great vocals,great guitar,great arrangements ......Can you put a Yoruba afrobeat that sounds as great?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2zvf5nU6fg

Many in Nigeria don't know the name Franco but rather "OK JAZZ" it's only those that are really into his music that knows him as Franco Luambo makiadi. You need not argue concerning comparing Fela Kuti with Franco. Fela was a great artist but can never be compared to OK JAZZ.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by Funkybabee(f): 8:58pm On Aug 11, 2017
Chaiiiii this post can makes some people bp high ooooooooo

Chineke!!!!!!!!!!

cc: Ekwekwe1. StakerLives

Cm see sometimes grin
Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by StakerLives(m): 10:52am On Aug 13, 2017
Funkybabee:
Chaiiiii this post can makes some people bp high ooooooooo

Chineke!!!!!!!!!!

cc: Ekwekwe1. StakerLives

Cm see sometimes grin
cool

Shut up! This is not an acheivement

1 Like

Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by Funkybabee(f): 11:51am On Aug 13, 2017
StakerLives:

cool

Untooooor shocked

2 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by StakerLives(m): 12:10pm On Aug 13, 2017
Funkybabee:

Untooooor shocked
cool

Lol don't worry, this week na me and you for this nairaland

1 Like

Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by StakerLives(m): 12:11pm On Aug 13, 2017
Funkybabee:

Untooooor shocked
cool

Lol don't worry, this week na me and you for this nairaland
Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by Ekwekwe1(m): 12:11pm On Aug 13, 2017
StakerLives:
cool

don't mind the mentally deranged Afonja,masturbating all around.

3 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by showmethemoney(m): 7:05pm On Aug 13, 2017
Yoruba making Africa proud where ever we go jare
Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 06, 2018
[quote author=cleatoris post=41216019]TBH, it appears the ibos now lead in education.[/quote
Look at what this idiot is saying
Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by fero007: 10:09am On May 07, 2018
Wow I didn't know yorubas have done that much, but to say the truth every tribe has their own acheivements(some even more), if you doubt let me talk about my SS people n u see SW is upcoming
Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by Sinistami(m): 11:12am On May 07, 2018
Well you've said it the Yoruba are a formidable tribe I love them for their impact on modern Nigerian urban culture which actually was possible because of Lagos which was actually built by all Nigerians and partly the Creoles called Saro from Sierra Leone who settled in Lagos and most part of the nigerdelta which is where the Naija urban culture is being practiced the most along with other cities through out Nigeria. Where Naija pidgin is spoken as a native tongue. which again has a lot of Yoruba influence on it because of the Saro and again Lagos. and everyone knows pidgin is the language of the nigerdelta and contemporary Urban Nigerians.
But anyway I'm not Yoruba or Igbo I'm Ijaw from Yenagoa bayelsa although I have Both in my linage cuz of my Saro ancestry. The OP would have done a great not making this post sound so tribal although he did better than other post I've seen. buh I still what's the point of chest beating are we not all Nigerians everytribe got something to be prou of but I don't see most chest beating like the Yoruba and Igbo and days why I love the Hausa very humble people and the Nigerdeltans very accommodating of everything.Ps Igbos too have had a very significant effect on the Naija urban culture too with or without Lagos too ya knw.........���������
Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by JikanBaura(m): 11:19am On May 07, 2018
My favorite tribes

Arewa cheesy
Yoruba cheesy
Ijaw smiley
Isekiri wink then
Flat eathers

grin Keyword flats grin
Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by Emilokoiyawon: 4:03am On May 08, 2018
Lets be honest - Yorubas are the most successful tribe in Nigeria. The Igbos are catching up though.
Re: Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas by fero007: 10:12am On May 09, 2018
Emilokoiyawon:
Lets be honest - Yorubas are the most successful tribe in Nigeria. The Igbos are catching up though.

Yah right, Yorubas have amazing acheivements(though I disagree theyre the most successful), the problem is every tribe feels they're the best n superior to others,
instead of seeing themselves as one strong Nigerian team

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are South Africans So Rude, Loud And Cheap / Homosexuality In Pre-colonial Africa / Teach Me How To Speak Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.