Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Do You Have The Right To Accuse Me Of Being Westernized? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Have The Right To Accuse Me Of Being Westernized? (3297 Views)

In The Case Of A Woman, When Is It Right To Hit A Man? / Is It Right To Greet People This Way? / Is It Right To Converse Like This Inside A Public Bus??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Have The Right To Accuse Me Of Being Westernized? by Afam4eva(m): 2:18pm On Apr 24, 2012
Nayah:
Quite ok with these elections... lol
Ohh, i forgot that Sakorzy is been beaten by one guy.
Re: Do You Have The Right To Accuse Me Of Being Westernized? by Nayah(f): 3:19pm On Apr 24, 2012
afam4eva:
Ohh, i forgot that Sakorzy is been beaten by one guy.
looooool grin
Re: Do You Have The Right To Accuse Me Of Being Westernized? by Fulaman198(m): 4:18pm On Apr 24, 2012
Nayah:

Good morning...my point is that I think no one can mesure how "African" someone could be or not, and I think it's quite ( and I'm non offense because I do know the most important things about my culture) dangerous to want to labelled people as "westerner" because of some subjective criterias. I repeat dear, being African is not only knowing how to speak your language, not only wear African clothes: how about those who don't know how to cook ( and they are more than you think..) while they've never been to "Western countries" or do not speak their language in Africa, are they also "Westernized" ?

Good morning/afternoon dear, Yes Those who can not speak their language but have never been to Western countries are still Westernized, you don't have to be living in the West to be Westernized. Being Westernized is a learned behaviour. People get it from listening to Western music and allowing their own music to sound Western (like a lot of Nigerian music today).
Re: Do You Have The Right To Accuse Me Of Being Westernized? by Nayah(f): 8:36am On Apr 25, 2012
Fulaman198:

Good morning/afternoon dear, Yes Those who can not speak their language but have never been to Western countries are still Westernized, you don't have to be living in the West to be Westernized. Being Westernized is a learned behaviour. People get it from listening to Western music and allowing their own music to sound Western (like a lot of Nigerian music today).

Good day dear...lol actually "Westernized" is a big word because some people can know their cultue but their parents have never talked to them in their native language but meanwhile they share African values ( respect, education ...) I thnik every single family has its background and past so that it's quite difficult to judge. Plus, it depends on the relation you have with your country if you've never been there ....I've jeard a lot of brothers talking about "westernized people" without knowing that from the moment you're listening to "Western countries" music you might be labelled as one ( westernized).
Re: Do You Have The Right To Accuse Me Of Being Westernized? by Fulaman198(m): 1:27am On Apr 26, 2012
Nayah:

Good day dear...lol actually "Westernized" is a big word because some people can know their cultue but their parents have never talked to them in their native language but meanwhile they share African values ( respect, education ...) I thnik every single family has its background and past so that it's quite difficult to judge. Plus, it depends on the relation you have with your country if you've never been there ....I've jeard a lot of brothers talking about "westernized people" without knowing that from the moment you're listening to "Western countries" music you might be labelled as one ( westernized).

Good evening dear lol, well you are correct, although Western countries music is quite different (like RnB) which seems to be the in thing in a lot of African countries today. Whatever happened to true traditional music done on Kontigi (1 string guitar-like instrument in Hausa), Kalangu (talking drum in Hausa), Goge (1 string violin). Most Nigerians in my age group 18 - 34 have no idea what those things are if they grow up in a Westernized lifestyle. Look at a lot of Hausa people today they are singing with Auto-tune in their music and borrowing words from other languages like Hindi. I'm a Fulani, and many Fulani are forgetting how to speak their language. I find that quite disgraceful. To me Nayah, this is unacceptable. Traditional dances, traditional music, traditional marriages, traditional folklore, etc. etc. should never disappear, for if they disappear then we have lost ourselves as African people. That is why I admire some countries like Mali, Niger, Chad, etc. they keep their culture(s) strong. Their folklore and music remains the same/similar to thousands of years ago.
Re: Do You Have The Right To Accuse Me Of Being Westernized? by Nayah(f): 8:21am On Apr 26, 2012
Fulaman198:

Good evening dear lol, well you are correct, although Western countries music is quite different (like RnB) which seems to be the in thing in a lot of African countries today. Whatever happened to true traditional music done on Kontigi (1 string guitar-like instrument in Hausa), Kalangu (talking drum in Hausa), Goge (1 string violin). Most Nigerians in my age group 18 - 34 have no idea what those things are if they grow up in a Westernized lifestyle. Look at a lot of Hausa people today they are singing with Auto-tune in their music and borrowing words from other languages like Hindi. I'm a Fulani, and many Fulani are forgetting how to speak their language. I find that quite disgraceful. To me Nayah, this is unacceptable. Traditional dances, traditional music, traditional marriages, traditional folklore, etc. etc. should never disappear, for if they disappear then we have lost ourselves as African people. That is why I admire some countries like Mali, Niger, Chad, etc. they keep their culture(s) strong. Their folklore and music remains the same/similar to thousands of years ago.
Yeah I do understand in my country we have kept this traditions and we're proud of it
Re: Do You Have The Right To Accuse Me Of Being Westernized? by Fulaman198(m): 2:11am On Apr 27, 2012
Nayah:
Yeah I do understand in my country we have kept this traditions and we're proud of it

Yah Cameroon is definitely more traditional than Nigeria even though we are neighbours. It's funny. For example there are so many Fulani known musicians in Cameroon, and there are none in Nigeria. Cameroon embraces their African cultures, Nigerians shy away from theirs.
Re: Do You Have The Right To Accuse Me Of Being Westernized? by Nayah(f): 8:24am On Apr 27, 2012
Fulaman198:

Yah Cameroon is definitely more traditional than Nigeria even though we are neighbours. It's funny. For example there are so many Fulani known musicians in Cameroon, and there are none in Nigeria. Cameroon embraces their African cultures, Nigerians shy away from theirs.

This is funny brother cause I have a different point of view towards Nigeria! I truly believe Nigerian culture is showcased.. and everywhere
Re: Do You Have The Right To Accuse Me Of Being Westernized? by Fulaman198(m): 4:04pm On May 01, 2012
Nayah:

This is funny brother cause I have a different point of view towards Nigeria! I truly believe Nigerian culture is showcased.. and everywhere

I am not too sure about that, some of the music and TV shows are indeed very westernized that you won't even believe it. You would think it is being done in America....

Not only that, I find it funny when I come across an African who tries their best to imitate a British or French accent as if it makes them look better. All it makes them look like are sell-outs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

State Of Origin For A Married Woman. / Ife Culture And Tradition Going Into Extinction-must Read / Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.