Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,351 members, 7,819,253 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

This Is The Gionee S Plus - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / This Is The Gionee S Plus (2961 Views)

Unboxing The Gionee M6 Mirror...just Got Mine / Unboxing The Gionee M6… What A Powerful Piece Of Magic! / The Gionee S Plus Punches Way Above Its Weight (HOT) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is The Gionee S Plus by Vicar2015(m): 6:13pm On Dec 24, 2015
BY BANKOLE OLUWAFEMI
GADGETS, MOBILEDECEMBER 22, 2015

Gio-who?
Gionee. Yes, not many of you have heard of this particular Chinese OEM. I think we’ve done only one Gionee device review to date. But Gionee is back. And this time with a sleek-looking, mid-range Android device that could pass for a “flagship killer” from far away…whatever those are.
This is the Gionee S Plus. So far, I like what I see.

Specs

Released in November 2015, the Gionee S Plus’ specifications put it squarely in mid-range territory. It’s got 2 gigabytes of RAM, 16 GB internal memory, a 5.5 inch AMOLED capacitive screen, rear and front cameras, 13 and 5 megapixels respectively, dual sim (of course), FM radio, micro SD slot, the usual connectivity options (plus 4G LTE), a giant 3150mAh battery, Android 5.1 Lollipop, blah blah blah…
Nothing on the spec list particularly sticks out. Except that battery, which I’m going to be looking out for. I must admit that 4G LTE on a device of this range is also interesting. Full spec rundown can be found here.
What’s in the box?
The box looks like there isn’t a lot in it. Until you open it, and find that there is more stuff in there than you’d expect. So you’ve got your phone, earbuds whose shape I don’t particularly like, a type-C USB cord and two pin charging adapter.
Then, you’ve got the extras. A screen protector, a transparent phone case, and a matte black flip case. Yep, there are two cases to choose from. Too bad you can’t use them at the same time, haha. But thanks, Gionee. It turns out that putting lots of stuff in the box is standard Gionee MO.

The phone’s chassis is ridiculously light. But put the battery in, and then you feel a familiar heft to it. The battery is massive, and I’m hoping that it’s not big for nothing. We’ll see how it holds up in the full review.

Battery, two sim slots and micro SD slot in plastic chassis, encased with metal.
The phone’s build is solid. With a plastic, diamond-patterned back and metal chassis, it doesn’t quite scream premium. But you won’t be hiding this in your pocket either. If anything, the Gionee S Plus wants to be held in full view, because it is a rather handsome-looking device.

Black trim around the bezel creates the illusion of an end-to-end screen, which is pleasing to look at when the screen is off, but is quickly dispelled when it comes on. Nonetheless, I can’t hate it. I kind of wish I’d gotten the blue one instead of the gold one though. Too flashy for my liking. Lucky for me, the black flip case mutes the flash, so I’m happy.

Camera, flash and speaker jack

It’s a large phone, compared to my iPhone 6. I’m struggling to grip it. The left side is completely featureless.

Volume rocker and power button on the left side

Type-C USB connector and adaptor. Said to help charge and transfer data faster. There’s a stern warning to not charge with any other type of cable.
The more I use this phone, the more I think it could grow on me. I am a stock Android snob, one who is not easily impressed by even the highest end non-Nexus devices. We got the mid-range Mi4 recently, and I didn’t give it a second look, even though the whole of India and China seem to be crazy about it. I think it’s because most of these phones make it impossible to change the default OEM skin to look like stock Android without an extremely invasive hack, that is know as rooting. Gionee seems to be different. I had no trouble installing the Google Now Launcher and taking the default Amiibo OS out of view.
There is still the matter of bloatware to deal with, but I’m considerably freer to enjoy this device now. I’ve also noticed a lot of Gionee UI/UX features that promise to be useful, from keyboard functions to facial recognition. Looking good.
Pricing and availability
How much does the Gionee S Plus cost? I’m guessing somewhere just under $300. If I’m right, this device will be a must-buy. As to availability, I believe I will have that information by the time I’m done with the full review.
Wanna talk or ask questions about the Gionee S Plus? Great? Let’s talk about it on Radar.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Vicar2015(m): 6:16pm On Dec 24, 2015
More images

Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Nobody: 6:18pm On Dec 24, 2015
An obsession with chinco phones.. Smh
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by onyekaez: 6:42pm On Dec 24, 2015
It's so sleek, I hear the picture quality is stellar.
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Yommieland: 6:44pm On Dec 24, 2015
I love how it's so slim and still lightweight. I'm enjoying the ascetics
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by SSShegs: 6:48pm On Dec 24, 2015
Gionee! Impressive! Any idea how easy it is to upgrade?
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Mologi(m): 6:53pm On Dec 24, 2015
Con bien?
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Tundedl: 6:54pm On Dec 24, 2015
Kudos to you! Cut throat honest review. I noticed it was much bigger than my iphone too. But it's my first driod so I'm working with it.
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by darlingtonIIV(m): 7:02pm On Dec 24, 2015
How much is it in Nigeria currency
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by goziesweetie: 7:16pm On Dec 24, 2015
The phone costs #39k
darlingtonIIV:
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by goziesweetie: 7:19pm On Dec 24, 2015
Very nice review. Visit http://evelynonline.com/2015/12/22/gionee-s-plus-a-phone-to-fit-your-style-and-pocket/ for more.

Make sure to cop a gionee splus this Christmas. Don't dull. Merry Christmas.
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Madgech: 8:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
goziesweetie:
The phone costs #39k

Where can we find this in Lagos?
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by tomjerry123: 11:38pm On Dec 24, 2015
computer village any shop you can buy it
Madgech:

Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Youngpo413: 12:24am On Dec 25, 2015
Nice
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Cerebrum(m): 4:08am On Dec 25, 2015
Interesting to see another Chinese product out there.
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by KaffyK(f): 4:55am On Dec 25, 2015
OP, it come with two batteries?
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Nobody: 5:59am On Dec 25, 2015
Its either I go for this phone or I go for umi Rome. I love phones with amoled screens
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Vicar2015(m): 6:24am On Dec 25, 2015
I can testify, i have the ink blue, selfies are amazing the device
onyekaez:
It's so sleek, I hear the picture quality is stellar.
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Vicar2015(m): 6:27am On Dec 25, 2015
Bought the device for N39,000
darlingtonIIV:
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Vicar2015(m): 6:41am On Dec 25, 2015
Choose this cos i haven't heard of the umi
lofty900:
Its either I go for this phone or I go for umi Rome. I love phones with amoled screens
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by augster(m): 7:02am On Dec 25, 2015
Vicar2015:
no offense but are you from the stone-age
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Nobody: 7:02am On Dec 25, 2015
Vicar2015:
just Google umi Rome, its cheaper and has 3 gig ram.
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by goziesweetie: 7:30am On Dec 25, 2015
Check out online retail stores but your best bet is computer village. Make sure you get from reliable vendors. Merry Christmas
Madgech:

Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Nobody: 11:46am On Dec 25, 2015
lofty900:
I have heard about the umi iron smartphone but they are not popular in Nigeria. I will rather go for the gionee splus cos they offer after sales service
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by kizolo(m): 12:08pm On Dec 25, 2015
Such an exorbitant piece of shiit
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by samintegrity(m): 12:10pm On Dec 25, 2015
lofty900:

I av umi rome for sale 32k , very neat, bought it 35k on Tuesday, buh I av gotten another so am selling, 3gb ram 08068212790

Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by toniotonero(m): 5:42pm On Dec 25, 2015
Cerebrum:
Interesting to see another Chinese product out there.
point of correction gionee is not a Chinese brand, by INDIA

1 Like

Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Jedidiahworld(m): 5:52pm On Dec 25, 2015
GIONEE SETTING D PATH FOR OTHERS TO FOLLOW
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by Marvell23(m): 7:14pm On Dec 25, 2015
toniotonero:

point of correction gionee is not a Chinese brand, by INDIA
it's Chinese brand but largest market is India
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by mindtricks: 11:37pm On Dec 25, 2015
Vicar2015:

Umi na another phone wey make sense o.
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by mindtricks: 11:44pm On Dec 25, 2015
augster:
no offense but are you from the stone-age
Abeg forgive am, him na from sand-age! cheesy
Re: This Is The Gionee S Plus by flexcity82: 2:35am On Dec 26, 2015
i wouldnt say that.
kizolo:
Such an exorbitant piece of shiit

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Android Market Will Finally Die On June 30 / Huawei Y9a: Design, Specifications, And Price In Nigeria / Why You Won't Be Able To Use A Stolen Iphone Anymore.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.