Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,730 members, 7,809,800 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

Programmers, How Do You Deal With CTO Seekers? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programmers, How Do You Deal With CTO Seekers? (1271 Views)

Java Programmers - How Do I Pass Variable Value From A Classa To Another Classb / Programmers, How Is This Recession Affecting Your Work? / Explaining To Non-programmers How Complex Software Development Is (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programmers, How Do You Deal With CTO Seekers? by Raypawer(m): 7:40am On Dec 26, 2015
Merry Xmas Guy, these days a lot of people has ideas of what to do but will not want to learn programming neither do they want to pay a programmer to do their job, rather they would come up with a cunning idea, some of them has approached me and they are like, I have this idea and that idea, you create the app, lets work together, you will be the Chief Technical Officer for the business, you gain a percentage of it when it starts bringing profit.

They will tell you how they would like their app to be like yet they can't write hello world undecided undecided

Please which is the best way to handle these guy, so i just decline or Create the app but on cash and carry cos am not convenient with the partnering of a stuff that might latter generate serious rift.. sad sad
Re: Programmers, How Do You Deal With CTO Seekers? by omoelu1(m): 8:06am On Dec 26, 2015
I think that's quite normal. Everybody must not start to learn software engineering just because they have an idea.
The only bad thing I see there - is not wanting to pay the developer for the job.

1 Like

Re: Programmers, How Do You Deal With CTO Seekers? by mexzony: 5:06pm On Dec 26, 2015
If I was going to be wicked I would just develop the App and take it for myself after all how can the other peraon prove that the idea was his in the first place.
Qucik question anyway
What if the app does not make any money then all the effort by the programmer is wasted?
Re: Programmers, How Do You Deal With CTO Seekers? by Squirrel(m): 7:35pm On Dec 26, 2015
Raypawer:
Merry Xmas Guy, these days a lot of people has ideas of what to do but will not want to learn programming neither do they want to pay a programmer to do their job, rather they would come up with a cunning idea, some of them has approached me and they are like, I have this idea and that idea, you create the app, lets work together, you will be the Chief Technical Officer for the business, you gain a percentage of it when it starts bringing profit.
They will tell you how they would like their app to be like yet they can't write hello world undecided undecided
Please which is the best way to handle these guy, so i just decline or Create the app but on cash and carry cos am not convenient with the partnering of a stuff that might latter generate serious rift.. sad sad

@OP,

If you have the time and resources, I suggest you develop these applications. Why?

Depending on where you are in your career:

1. You may need to seek employment now or in the future. In technologically advanced societies, you need to present proof of your previous work to acquire these jobs. By doing some of these projects and storing your work in private repositories (e.g. Bitbucket which offers free repositories), you can showcase this work and gain new opportunities.
2. By writing new software, you learn more especially when you deal with different tools/technologies.
3. Prior to commencing work, you can agree with the "idea-owner" on what minimum features the application should have before going live.

mexzony:
...What if the app does not make any money then all the effort by the programmer is wasted?

@mexzony - please see point 1 above.

I hope this makes some sense.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Programmers, How Do You Deal With CTO Seekers? by Raypawer(m): 11:36pm On Dec 26, 2015
thats what Mark did to get facebook

mexzony:
If I was going to be wicked I would just develop the App and take it for myself after all how can the other peraon prove that the idea was his in the first place.
Qucik question anyway
What if the app does not make any money then all the effort by the programmer is wasted?
Re: Programmers, How Do You Deal With CTO Seekers? by Raypawer(m): 11:50pm On Dec 26, 2015
brother right now the world is moving very fast and time is gaining more value, as am typing this, not to boast, am on a personal project, have been assigned to start new project @ office, another company on my neck to just say yes to join them, so you see what am going to sacrifice, the time twist, then what if the stuff does not later generate the income then i would waste my time, resources and so on.

So past project is not the issue.. its the time

Squirrel:

@OP,

If you have the time and resources, I suggest you develop these applications. Why?

Depending on where you are in your career:

1. You may need to seek employment now or in the future. In technologically advanced societies, you need to present proof of your previous work to acquire these jobs. By doing some of these projects and storing your work in private repositories (e.g. Bitbucket which offers free repositories), you can showcase this work and gain new opportunities.
2. By writing new software, you learn more especially when you deal with different tools/technologies.
3. Prior to commencing work, you can agree with the "idea-owner" on what minimum features the application should have before going live.

@mexzony - please see point 1 above.

I hope this makes some sense.

Cheers

(1) (Reply)

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 For Ssale / Please Dont Open / Official Wadup Messenger Is Now Live/available, Download!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.