Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,022 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. (1301 Views)

Communist Leaders Killed 250 MILLION Because Of Atheism. ATHEISM motivated them / The Absurdity Of Atheism - Article / Finally I Have Crossed The Bridge Of Agnostism Into The Land Of Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by elhakiimed(m): 11:38am On Dec 26, 2015
And yet they say: “There is nothing beyond our life in this world. We die as we come to life, and nothing but time destroys us.” But of this they have no knowledge whatever: they do nothing but guess.
(Quran : Surah Al-Jathiya ,Verse 24)

7. English philosopher Professor Anthony Flew
He led the global atheist movement for more than half a century. After turning eighty ,he published his 'spiritual autobiography,'There is a God:How the world's most notorious Athiest changed his mind.', in which he states that he declared his believe based on cogent evidence.

6. Charles Darwin
He writes in his book *ON THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES*
"Another source of conviction in the existence of God,connected with reason and not with the feelings, impresses me as having much more wieght.This follows from the extreme difficulty or rather impossibility of conceiving this immense and wonderful unoverse, including man with his capacity of looking far backwards and as far into futurity,as the result of blind chance and necessity...I deserved to be called a Theist."

5. Richard Dawkins,
The world most notorious atheist.
He admitted he did know everything,and threfore allowed the possibility that he was wrong.

to be continued...
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by Unionised(m): 11:45am On Dec 26, 2015
Confused, they are...

Witness the AWESOMENESS that is beyond you.....

And bow.
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by elhakiimed(m): 12:34pm On Dec 26, 2015
4. Francis Sellers Collins,an American physician-geneticist noted for his discoveries of diseases genes and his leadership of the HUMAN GENOME PROJECT.
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 26, 2015
THANK GOD I am not a chronically ignorant atheist.. who believes in dinosaurs anyway.. what ever happened to the Annunaki grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 4:58pm On Dec 26, 2015
Alfa Seltzer: used to be a devout atheist until the power of Satan came unto him.
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by HCpaul(m): 5:40pm On Dec 26, 2015
Which one is atheism? Did it exist?
If yes, it is just another form of religion.

I wonder why a man will still be doubting the existence of God in the twenty-first century.

Let the dead bury their dead.
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by onetrack(m): 7:20pm On Dec 26, 2015
elhakiimed:
And yet they say: “There is nothing beyond our life in this world. We die as we come to life, and nothing but time destroys us.” But of this they have no knowledge whatever: they do nothing but guess.
(Quran : Surah Al-Jathiya ,Verse 24)

7. English philosopher Professor Anthony Flew
He led the global atheist movement for more than half a century. After turning eighty ,he published his 'spiritual autobiography,'There is a God:How the world's most notorious Athiest changed his mind.', in which he states that he declared his believe based on cogent evidence.

6. Charles Darwin
He writes in his book *ON THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES*
"Another source of conviction in the existence of God,connected with reason and not with the feelings, impresses me as having much more wieght.This follows from the extreme difficulty or rather impossibility of conceiving this immense and wonderful unoverse, including man with his capacity of looking far backwards and as far into futurity,as the result of blind chance and necessity...I deserved to be called a Theist."

5. Richard Dawkins,
The world most notorious atheist.
He admitted he did know everything,and threfore allowed the possibility that he was wrong.

to be continued...

Darwin never said he was an atheist; rather he said he was agnostic, and until the end of his life he maintained that religion was created by man.

Dawkins is still very much an atheist--I follow him on twitter, and he is very active in promoting a secular viewpoint; you can easily take a look for yourself.

Most atheists are actually agnostic, meaning that they admit they could be wrong, including myself, but see no reason to believe in any god, and certainly not the vicious sky god of the Middle East.

I've read the Quran, and as it admits, it is nothing but stories of the ancients.

1 Like

Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by elhakiimed(m): 8:40pm On Dec 26, 2015
onetrack:

Darwin never said he was an atheist; rather he said he was agnostic, and until the end of his life he maintained that religion was created by man.

Dawkins is still very much an atheist--I follow him on twitter, and he is very active in promoting a secular viewpoint; you can easily take a look for yourself.

Most atheists are actually agnostic, meaning that they admit they could be wrong, including myself, but see no reason to believe in any god, and certainly not the vicious sky god of the Middle East.

I've read the Quran, and as it admits, it is nothing but stories of the ancients.

it is obvious how much time you spend misreading if you still think the Muslims worship a "sky god"

Download this book "Quran and Modern science" : Dr Zakir Naik and let's see if you dare call yourself atheist (or agnostic) afterwards.
good bro.
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by elhakiimed(m): 8:47pm On Dec 26, 2015
continuation
3. Paul C. Vitxz declared In his book **faith of the fatherless: the psychology of atheism.**
" I assume that the major barrier to belief in god are not rational bit -in general sense- can be called psychology"
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by onetrack(m): 12:14am On Dec 27, 2015
elhakiimed:

it is obvious how much time you spend misreading if you still think the Muslims worship a "sky god"

Download this book "Quran and Modern science" : Dr Zakir Naik and let's see if you dare call yourself atheist (or agnostic) afterwards.
good bro.

Be aware that Naik is not considered any kind of qualified religious scholar by the most respected Islamic institutions.

The Quran contains no science that I can accept. It's mostly vague verses that lend themselves to various selective interpretations, including some that seem to be errors to me. Horoscopes and fortune tellers work the same way.

1 Like

Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by elhakiimed(m): 8:02am On Dec 27, 2015
onetrack:

Be aware that Naik is not considered any kind of qualified religious scholar by the most respected Islamic institutions.

The Quran contains no science that I can accept. It's mostly vague verses that lend themselves to various selective interpretations, including some that seem to be errors to me. Horoscopes and fortune tellers work the same way.

Dr. Naik is not a scholar but his teachings are scholarly endorsed and prompted.
I don't think that statement is not hypocritical. Anyways, since you said " to you " it seems there are error, I am not very bothered.
The Quran gave accurate account of what happens in child formation in pregnancy and you call that fortune telling.

The Quran mentioned how God perfected us to the very tip of our fingers over 1400 years ago ?

Surah Al-Qiyama, Verse 4:
Yes, We are Able to put together in perfect order the tips of his fingers.

and so many more signs.
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by elhakiimed(m): 8:06am On Dec 27, 2015
2. John Paul sartre a French philosopher
He is a key figure in existentialsm and pgenomenology he abandoned atheism shortly before his death.
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by elhakiimed(m): 8:07am On Dec 27, 2015
continuation
2. John Paul sartre a French philosopher
He is a key figure in existentialsm and pgenomenology he abandoned atheism shortly before his death.
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by elhakiimed(m): 8:09am On Dec 27, 2015
1. French writer and philosopher Voltaire
he said before his death ,"I die adoring God,loving my friends,not hating my enemies,and detesting superstition."
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by onetrack(m): 1:26pm On Dec 27, 2015
elhakiimed:

Dr. Naik is not a scholar but his teachings are scholarly endorsed and prompted.
I don't think that statement is not hypocritical. Anyways, since you said " to you " it seems there are error, I am not very bothered.
The Quran gave accurate account of what happens in child formation in pregnancy and you call that fortune telling.

The Quran mentioned how God perfected us to the very tip of our fingers over 1400 years ago ?

Surah Al-Qiyama, Verse 4:
Yes, We are Able to put together in perfect order the tips of his fingers.

and so many more signs.

1) The Quran's account of child development in the womb basically follows that outlined by the Greek physician Galen several hundred years earlier. Even then, the bones are not formed before they are covered with flesh, as the Quran mistakenly says. In addition, it contains no information that ancient peoples themselves could not have seen as a result of witnessing miscarriages at various stages of development.

2) We are not perfect. Many of us have various genetic mutations and sometimes obvious deformities. There are retarded people and there are people missing body parts or who are blind or deaf or dumb. Sometimes children get cancer and die. Not very perfect if you ask me.
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by OKUCHI11(m): 6:36pm On Dec 27, 2015
oh GOd why not show us the way na....
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by elhakiimed(m): 10:26am On Dec 28, 2015
onetrack:

1) The Quran's account of child development in the womb basically follows that outlined by the Greek physician Galen several hundred years earlier. Even then, the bones are not formed before they are covered with flesh, as the Quran mistakenly says. In addition, it contains no information that ancient peoples themselves could not have seen as a result of witnessing miscarriages at various stages of development.

2) We are not perfect. Many of us have various genetic mutations and sometimes obvious deformities. There are retarded people and there are people missing body parts or who are blind or deaf or dumb. Sometimes children get cancer and die. Not very perfect if you ask me.

1) The muslim prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was an illiterate at the time he received first revelation, he lived among people who enjoy poetry and not much of science.How possible could he have gathered knowledge from Greek scientist when he couldn't even read Arabic, not to talk of Greek.

Even if for the sake of argument we agree he heard it from somewhere, did he also hear the other things,how did he manage to know which one is accurate ,despite the different school of thought that may have existed? He mentioned barrier between seas,uniqueness of fingerprint,spot on brain for lie and deceit, levels of atmospheres,position for human memory,e.t.c?

2) Muslims believe in qadr(predestination) that there is nothing Allah does except that it was writing to be so, and it is perfect if only we know, everybody has a brand of their own test of faith ,and to some it is loss of wealth,and others disability. An inventor can do whatever he feels about his invention because he knows it best, and answer to no one in his majesty.
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by onetrack(m): 6:09pm On Dec 28, 2015
elhakiimed:

1) The muslim prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was an illiterate at the time he received first revelation, he lived among people who enjoy poetry and not much of science.How possible could he have gathered knowledge from Greek scientist when he couldn't even read Arabic, not to talk of Greek.

Illiterate does not mean unintelligent. In addition, Muhammad worked as a trader until sometime in his 40s. He would have met many people from many lands, including some who were well educated. Evidently one of his friends was a trained physician. Don't forget that he lived on the edge of two very advanced civilizations (Persian and Byzantine) from which this knowledge came. People who are illiterate often have very good memories for information to make up for the fact that they can't store this information in writing form.

In addition, there is at least one sahih hadith which supports the claim that he could read and write (when he asked for a pen and writing material to write something down).

Even if for the sake of argument we agree he heard it from somewhere, did he also hear the other things,how did he manage to know which one is accurate ,despite the different school of thought that may have existed? He mentioned barrier between seas,uniqueness of fingerprint,spot on brain for lie and deceit, levels of atmospheres,position for human memory,e.t.c?

There is no barrier between any seas. Salt and fresh water mix, though differences in salinity and temperature can cause a brief layering which makes it seem like they don't mix, but they do (yes I've seen that picture from Alaska and that's what I'm talking about.)

Levels of atmospheres? Seven layers, right? But then why does the Quran say that the stars are in the closest layer? Wrong.

And any fool can see that fingerprints are all different.

etc.

2) Muslims believe in qadr(predestination) that there is nothing Allah does except that it was writing to be so, and it is perfect if only we know, everybody has a brand of their own test of faith ,and to some it is loss of wealth,and others disability. An inventor can do whatever he feels about his invention because he knows it best, and answer to no one in his majesty.

If everything is predestined then there is no test, since you are going to do just what you were destined to do. And your lovely Allah is going to put you in hell for doing what he programmed you to do.
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by elhakiimed(m): 9:21pm On Dec 28, 2015
onetrack:

Illiterate does not mean unintelligent. In addition, Muhammad worked as a trader until sometime in his 40s. He would have met many people from many lands, including some who were well educated. Evidently one of his friends was a trained physician. Don't forget that he lived on the edge of two very advanced civilizations (Persian and Byzantine) from which this knowledge came. People who are illiterate often have very good memories for information to make up for the fact that they can't store this information in writing form.

In addition, there is at least one sahih hadith which supports the claim that he could read and write (when he asked for a pen and writing material to write something down).

There is no barrier between any seas. Salt and fresh water mix, though differences in salinity and temperature can cause a brief layering which makes it seem like they don't mix, but they do (yes I've seen that picture from Alaska and that's what I'm talking about.)

Levels of atmospheres? Seven layers, right? But then why does the Quran say that the stars are in the closest layer? Wrong.

And any fool can see that fingerprints are all different.

etc.

If everything is predestined then there is no test, since you are going to do just what you were destined to do. And your lovely Allah is going to put you in hell for doing what he programmed you to do.

1 . In Islam we don't appreciate narrations without reference, you should please mention the name of the physician friend and reference where you got that from.
The prophet (peace be upon him) at moment of receiving revelations he used to have a scribe, that is why some Quran verse have phrases like "say (o Muhammad)" he can't read or write, but if you insist bring your evidence.

Quran Surah fussilat :12 mentioned lowest heavens not atmosphere.
"And We adorned the nearest (lowest) heaven with lamps (stars) to be an adornment as well as to guard (from the devils by using them as missiles against the devils). Such is the Decree of Him the All-Mighty, the All-Knower."

I strongly recommend you do the experiment in your kitchen with salt water and ordinary,add different food colouring to each and see for yourself...and i can go on refutting your claim about the science of quran.

2. What God wrote in the book of destiny was as a result of his knowledge of our individual weaknesses and strenght ,just like a teacher knows who will come first and last because of his assessment of student at beginning of semester,although this can not be compared to the kind of knowledge of God.

1 Like

Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by onetrack(m): 11:47pm On Dec 28, 2015
elhakiimed:

1 . In Islam we don't appreciate narrations without reference, you should please mention the name of the physician friend and reference where you got that from.
The prophet (peace be upon him) at moment of receiving revelations he used to have a scribe, that is why some Quran verse have phrases like "say (o Muhammad)" he can't read or write, but if you insist bring your evidence.

His name is al-Harith bin Kaladah.

Quran Surah fussilat :12 mentioned lowest heavens not atmosphere.
"And We adorned the nearest (lowest) heaven with lamps (stars) to be an adornment as well as to guard (from the devils by using them as missiles against the devils). Such is the Decree of Him the All-Mighty, the All-Knower."

Ok well then which verse are you referring to when talking about the atmosphere? I've seen claims that the seven heavens refer to the layers of the atmosphere.
And as you know the stars are not used to throw at devils. Meteorites are much different than stars and are random rocks that burn up in the earth's atmosphere.

I strongly recommend you do the experiment in your kitchen with salt water and ordinary,add different food colouring to each and see for yourself...and i can go on refutting your claim about the science of quran.

Put them side by side and they will mix. In addition, if salt and fresh water do not mix, then why are there not vast pools of freshwater that have built up over thousands of years as rivers drain into the oceans?

2. What God wrote in the book of destiny was as a result of his knowledge of our individual weaknesses and strenght ,just like a teacher knows who will come first and last because of his assessment of student at beginning of semester,although this can not be compared to the kind of knowledge of God.

There is a hadith which says that you can spend your entire life doing good things, but then at the very end your destiny will take over and you will do something that will send you to hell. And that the opposite is also true. And there is nothing you can do about it. In addition another hadith states that your destiny is written while still in the womb and that includes whether or not you will go to heaven or hell.
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by elhakiimed(m): 11:56pm On Dec 28, 2015
onetrack:

His name is al-Harith bin Kaladah.

Ok well then which verse are you referring to when talking about the atmosphere? I've seen claims that the seven heavens refer to the layers of the atmosphere.
And as you know the stars are not used to throw at devils. Meteorites are much different than stars and are random rocks that burn up in the earth's atmosphere.

Put them side by side and they will mix. In addition, if salt and fresh water do not mix, then why are there not vast pools of freshwater that have built up over thousands of years as rivers drain into the oceans?

There is a hadith which says that you can spend your entire life doing good things, but then at the very end your destiny will take over and you will do something that will send you to hell. And that the opposite is also true. And there is nothing you can do about it. In addition another hadith states that your destiny is written while still in the womb and that includes whether or not you will go to heaven or hell.

you must have read about estuary, and must have known they have different salinity towards the fresh water and towards the sea water creating barriers,however this barrier cannot be seen but are easily detected with equipments.

Historians such as Manfred Ullman and Franz
Rosenthal are skeptical about the material
referring to bin Kalada. They refer to him as a
legendary figure, which has literary allusions
to characters of fictitious creation. Professor
Gerald Hawting, in his essay The Development
of the Biography of al-Harith ibn Kalada and the
Relationship between Medicine and Islam,
writes:
“In these latter sources the information about
al-Harith is fragmentary, references to his
profession as a doctor are not consistent and,
where they occur, tend to be incidental, and
there seems to be little information about the
nature of his medicine or detail about his
life.”

For more details please refer to Khalid al-
Khazaraji’s and Elias Kareem’s essay Was al-
Harith bin Kaladah the Source of the Prophet’s
Medical Knowledge.”

Allah-majestic glorious does not frustrate the effort of anyone, disbelieve may not start in a day,it must have lingered in the heart for sometime.
Our destiny is written by God,the lifespan,wealth status,etc. in womb,Allah has all knowledge of our capability,and in his knowledge he knows the end before we even begin. But we are limited in seeing,hearing ,and even thinking.
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by DEIFIED(m): 6:47am On Dec 29, 2015
Directly in front of my house is a Catholic church. Twice daily they congregate. And twice daily they interrupt my peace and my freedom of movement. They normally block roads until they are done with service before I can drive out. I have contemplated so many actions including blocking them before they block me. It's not been easy to control myself but I have managed to. Two weeks ago, there was water shortage in the estate. As I got out with jerrican to send for water, the church guard yelled out something while walking towards me. But because use I was so filled with angry towards everything about them, I just kept going. The guard ran very fast to catch up to me. Until I heard a panting voice said "Aunty we have water" as he pointed towards the Church. So, I reluctantly went with him to get two jerricans of water. little did I know that simple unsolicited favor will change my attitude towards them. Because I had a change of attitude, I was able to see them in a possitive light, their noise became music, their rowdy crowd became gathered friends and family, the threat became protection, what seemed permanent inconveniences became temporary and the church became sacred. Today is Christmas, I went there to help feed the orphans. After the exercise we got talking, then they soon realised the discomfort they had caused me. They apologised and created way to permanently free my driveway and they told me they are about moving to their permanent site. And guest what? I will miss them. The fact is, sentiments cloud sound judgement and is unproductive. But to have the ability to catch yourself doing it and hence retreat, is simply gracious. I hope you learn something from my story. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all humble folks of mighty BCO/BSO. May the holy season brings us glad tidings and May all our wishes come true in 2016 (Amen) My name is Miriam Yakubu Ikunaiye; a Muslim and a friend of an entire church congregation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by onetrack(m): 1:50pm On Dec 29, 2015
elhakiimed:

you must have read about estuary, and must have known they have different salinity towards the fresh water and towards the sea water creating barriers,however this barrier cannot be seen but are easily detected with equipments.

Historians such as Manfred Ullman and Franz
Rosenthal are skeptical about the material
referring to bin Kalada. They refer to him as a
legendary figure, which has literary allusions
to characters of fictitious creation. Professor
Gerald Hawting, in his essay The Development
of the Biography of al-Harith ibn Kalada and the
Relationship between Medicine and Islam,
writes:
“In these latter sources the information about
al-Harith is fragmentary, references to his
profession as a doctor are not consistent and,
where they occur, tend to be incidental, and
there seems to be little information about the
nature of his medicine or detail about his
life.”

For more details please refer to Khalid al-
Khazaraji’s and Elias Kareem’s essay Was al-
Harith bin Kaladah the Source of the Prophet’s
Medical Knowledge.”

Read the essay already. Of course much of it is speculation, as are the hadiths. However, this represents the strong possibility that there were educated people who traveled or who lived in the area. I cannot assume that everyone around Muhammad were ignorant bedouins, as it clearly was not the case. There were well-traveled people who were familiar with aspects of Byzantine and Persian culture. I have to conclude that Muhammad's info about science came from other people.

Allah-majestic glorious does not frustrate the effort of anyone, disbelieve may not start in a day,it must have lingered in the heart for sometime.
Our destiny is written by God,the lifespan,wealth status,etc. in womb,Allah has all knowledge of our capability,and in his knowledge he knows the end before we even begin. But we are limited in seeing,hearing ,and even thinking.

What is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence ~ Christopher Hitchens
Re: 7 Leading Advocates Of Atheism Who Abandoned Atheism. by elhakiimed(m): 10:55am On Jan 05, 2016
onetrack:

Read the essay already. Of course much of it is speculation, as are the hadiths. However, this represents the strong possibility that there were educated people who traveled or who lived in the area. I cannot assume that everyone around Muhammad were ignorant bedouins, as it clearly was not the case. There were well-traveled people who were familiar with aspects of Byzantine and Persian culture. I have to conclude that Muhammad's info about science came from other people.

What is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence ~ Christopher Hitchens

In light of this, the Prophet(peace be upon him) copying bin Kalada is
highly improbable as it is irrational to assert that
an educated physician would convert to Islam,
and follow the Prophet’s message, had he
known or suspected the Prophet of copying his
work on embryology.

It is for me to inform about Islam, Allah guides the heart of whom he will.

Surah Al-Ala, Verse 9:
Therefore remind (men) in case the reminder profits (them).

Surah Yunus, Verse 25:
And Allah invites to the abode of peace and guides whom He pleases into the right path.

I hope for the best for you.

(1) (Reply)

Fox News' Highly Reluctant Jesus Follower (must Read!!!) / If You Have HIV Or Sick Instead Of Committing Suicide Do This. / The Christian God(yahweh)supports Polygamy,,how Is This Moral?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.