Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,777 members, 7,841,019 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Knowing The Correct Religion - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Knowing The Correct Religion (7047 Views)

Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? / Where Is The Correct Place To Pay Our Tithes / Why Do Christians Still Fornicate After Knowing It's A Serious Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by malvisguy212: 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2015
dalaman:

Christianity is true because of what? This is not a thread for baseless claims. Provide objective means through we can test your religious claims to know if they are true. This is not an indoctrination class.
alright, let us live Christianity for now and focus on one person, Jesus christ, you cannot deny the fact that most religions speak highly of Jesus christ.

"All religions are much the same."
That's what many
religions teach, so you have
nothing to lose by ignoring
them and concentrating on
Jesus, who declared that if you
don't surrender to him, you
have everything to lose (John
14:6; Acts 4:10-12). You and I are not in a position to claim to
know more about spiritual
reality than the greatest
religious teacher earth has seen
, Jesus.He upheld the
Scriptures which insist that all
other religions offend God
(Deuteronomy 32:16-20).
To ignore glaring differences
between religions might seem
broad-minded.In reality it is
about as conceited and narrow
as a person could get. To assert
that all religions are essentially
the same would be to claim you
are smarter than each of the
billions of people who see the
distinctive features of their
religion as critical.You would be
asserting that even though you
are not an expert in their
religion you know they are
wrong - you know their religion
is really no different. Jesus
made Godlike claims of this
magnitude but he backed them
up by living a perfect life,
walking on water, calming a
storm, multiplying bread and
fish, healing people born blind
or deaf or crippled, rising bodily
from the dead, transforming
believers for 2,000 years, and
so on.

Your decision about religion is
as serious as a starving person
deciding whether to risk eating
something which might be
deadly.To the casual observer,
wild mushrooms are all much
the same and who cares
anyhow? But when there is
nothing else to eat, it becomes
rather important whether the
variety you choose is
poisonous. And if you eat
nothing for weeks, indecision
becomes as deadly as the worse
decision.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by KingEbukaNaija: 5:14pm On Dec 28, 2015
PastorAIO:

What is the bias? A bias is to lean on one side of an debate more than the other. I told him that he failed to answer the question asked of him.

In fact all he did was ask the question again, but divide the topic into 4 sections.

He did NOT provide any method by which to scrutinise. All he said was 'scrutinise' bla bla bla. Meanwhile the question was, to paraphrase, 'how do we scrutinize religion in order to know the true one?'.

ps. I don't hate christianity but I hate lies, and fakeness.
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by malvisguy212: 5:17pm On Dec 28, 2015
PastorAIO:

What is the bias? A bias is to lean on one side of an debate more than the other. I told him that he failed to answer the question asked of him.

In fact all he did was ask the question again, but divide the topic into 4 sections.

He did NOT provide any method by which to scrutinise. All he said was 'scrutinise' bla bla bla. Meanwhile the question was, to paraphrase, 'how do we scrutinize religion in order to know the true one?'.

shm
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by PastorAIO: 5:36pm On Dec 28, 2015
malvisguy212:
https://www.nairaland.com/1999485/all-religions-lead-god-one

Agnostics often fall into two camps -
those who believe that all
religions can lead to God or those who
believe that true religion cannot
be discerned. This page examines both
positions in an attempt to
determine where the truth may lie.
Logically, there are several
possibilities. Atheists would say that no
religion leads to God, since He
doesn't exist. It is possible that one,
several or all religions lead to God.

ALL WAYS LEAD TO GOD:
There are hundreds of religions in the
world today, and many ancient
religions that are no longer practiced. It
is possible, and perhaps likely,
that all religions contain some truth and/
or good moral advice.
However, in examining religious
teaching, it is important to examine
the fundamental beliefs of each religion
and compare those to each
other. When this is done, it is apparent
that primary religious teachings
contradict each other. Judaism says that
the Messiah is coming,
Christianity says that He has come, and
Islam says that Mohammad
provided all the information necessary
for religious life. Obviously,
these truth claims cannot be
simultaneously true, since they
contradict

each other. Logically, we must reject the
idea that all religions lead to
God.
TRUE RELIGEON:IS IT POSSIBLE TO
DISCERN?
I believe that there are some things that
we can discern about God
from the nature of the universe.
The
universe demonstrates some
remarkable evidence of design. What
kind of God designed all this, and how
can we know His true identity? Most
people who believe God
exists would agree with the argument
that the God who designed the
universe must be a personal God.

This your post was long so I'll just deal with the first few paragraphs.

First off, when you list options of whether any religion leads to God you forgot to add one option. That: No 'religion' leads to God, though God may exist. (I use religion in the sense in which you use it, a body of tenets and beliefs.)

Second, You example is wrong on many levels. You talk about comparing the various fundamental beliefs. I don't think the coming of the Messiah is a fundamental belief of Judaism (judaism is even full of messiahs that have come already). But then that is arguable. In that respect christianity does contradict it by saying that the messiah has already come. i.e the Messiah expected at the time of the roman occupation.
Islam is in total agreement with christianity that the messiah has already come, namely Jesus Christ. So there is no contradiction with islam here.
But I'm glad that at least you've shown an understanding of mutual exclusivity, ie that there are certain propositions that cannot simultaneously be true. Though they did not apply in the examples that you gave.

Now, you've talked about comparing various religions to see if they compatible. I would also suggest comparing various religions to Our factual experiences.

I am delighted that you are happy to look at the universe as admissible evidence for the existence of God, and I assume the truth of religious claims. I'm not quite sure by what you mean by 'personal God', but I presume that you mean that God has a personality like human personalities and undergoes some of the same emotions. In fact you buttress that but saying such things as 'God cares' etc.
This is the point where you submit to wild and baseless conjecture, in my opinion.

We all know that human emotions are caused by Neurochemical reactions in our bodies. We love and care when we experience of surge of Oxytocin in our bloodstreams. I must therefore ask if your 'personal God' is subject to neurochemicals too.

Let's just start with that part.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by plaetton: 5:36pm On Dec 28, 2015
malvisguy212:
happy Christmas to you too, how is your family ? extend the greeting to your wife, am soo happy she believe in God. God willing,you will find God in Her.

Thank you, and I wish you the same too.

And you're right, one can find god in any thing or person you put your mind to.
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by PastorAIO: 5:37pm On Dec 28, 2015
malvisguy212:
shm
KingEbukaNaija:

We need to put you two in a special needs class.

3 Likes

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by dalaman: 5:40pm On Dec 28, 2015
PastorAIO:

You've said it all.
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by KingEbukaNaija: 5:42pm On Dec 28, 2015
PastorAIO:

We need to put you two in a special needs class.

You must have attended one for you to feel its worth being recommended . Anyway I dont need one
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by Rilwayne001: 5:47pm On Dec 28, 2015
Make I park my bus here..** Interesting thread
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by onetrack(m): 5:59pm On Dec 28, 2015
For me, the only real way to prove which religion is true would be to visit heaven and hell and see which religion has the most followers in either place. That would be direct and incontrovertible evidence.

However, since I can't do that, I conclude that no religion can be said to be the one true religion, or even that there is a heaven or a hell, or even a god.

4 Likes

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by plaetton: 6:08pm On Dec 28, 2015
It's like asking whether Marvel Comics or DC Comics has the most real superheroes.

2 Likes

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by KingEbukaNaija: 6:17pm On Dec 28, 2015
plaetton:
It's like asking whether Marvel Comics or DC Comics has the most real superheroes.

Watch this video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7vEB6FXtbs

And then watch this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY3QSHLmtfU

Am sure you are smart enough to deduct how EMPTY atheism is

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by PastorAIO: 6:20pm On Dec 28, 2015
KingEbukaNaija:

You must have attended one for you to feel its worth being recommended . Anyway I dont need one

When you're obviously too thick to understand what I wrote sir, I fear that you indeed need one.
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by PastorAIO: 6:22pm On Dec 28, 2015
This thread is not about atheism. It is about religion and which is the correct one. If you can't even understand the topic why are you refusing to go and sit in the special needs class.

KingEbukaNaija:

Watch this video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7vEB6FXtbs

And then watch this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY3QSHLmtfU

Am sure you are smart enough to deduct how EMPTY atheism is

4 Likes

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by KingEbukaNaija: 6:30pm On Dec 28, 2015
PastorAIO:
This thread is not about atheism. It is about religion and which is the correct one. If you can't even understand the topic why are you refusing to go and sit in the special needs class.

Now read carefully , one thing I hate is hypocrisy and disingenousness on the side of you guys' side . Here are what sir p posted and you didnt clearly see its insinuating atheism and mocking religion - atheism's goal ?

plaetton:

Yap.

By the criteria provided by kingebukasblog, my Toothfairian religion should come out as the best and truest, a subtle point that eludes both you and him.

plaetton:

If actually you aint smart enough to detect what he's doing then well its understandable smiley

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by plaetton: 6:46pm On Dec 28, 2015
KingEbukaNaija:

Now read carefully , one thing I hate is hypocrisy and disingenousness on the side of you guys' side . Here are what sir p posted and you didnt clearly see its insinuating atheism and mocking religion - atheism's goal ?

If actually you aint smart enough to detect what he's doing then well its understandable smiley

A deduction from false assumption.

Where exactly did I or anyone make reference to atheism?

Why does atheism give you folks sleepless nights ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by KingEbukaNaija: 6:47pm On Dec 28, 2015
plaetton:

A deduction from false assumption.

Where exactly did I or anyone make reference to atheism?

Why does atheism give you folks sleepless nights ?

It never does

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by PastorAIO: 6:48pm On Dec 28, 2015
The dude is an atheist, so what!?

He made a post to show how ridiculous your so-called criteria for knowing the true religion is. He said that by your criteria his religion of the tooth fairy will be the true religion.
He went further to say that it's like arguing which comic books has more fictitious heroes. It's not a very good example in my opinion because you can make a count of all the heroes in both and then verify each of them historically to know. However none of these steps can be applied, or rather you refuse to apply, to your religious claims.

But still, everything he said applies to the topic of the thread, i.e. How can we know the Correct Religion.

Unfortunately your pathetic response was an attempt to seek to attack atheism, in order to deflect the butthurt.

KingEbukaNaija:

2 Likes

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by unphilaz(m): 6:51pm On Dec 28, 2015
dalaman:

i. providing an objective way through which we will all test and know which religion is true.
ii. How do we objectively know that Islam is true and Christianity is false and vice versa?
iii. Where is the objective test to prove any of these religious claim?
iv What methodology can be used to test and verify it?
v. How can other religions also be shown to be false, what methodology do they need to fail for us to know that they are false?

dalam if you were sincere with what i quote, you would follow ebuka answer by taking each of his point on its merit.

KingEbukaNaija:

Scrutinizing :

1.The Tenets

2. Spirituality

3. Concept of the creator

4. Relationship with Deity/Creator - How a believer of that religion relates with his deity

1 Like

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by Nobody: 6:53pm On Dec 28, 2015
Hello to all!

I think animosity and ad hominems are not necessary to share our convictions. Back to the original question: Which Religion is the correct one?
The quality of the Answer to a question, depends greatly on the quality/formulation of the question. In this case, the question is in my sensing wrongly formulated. Indeed, the one who ask which religion is the correct one, is similar to the one asking which pair (or even brand) of Shoe is the most appropriate for every Human. How can one answer that question objectively? Some may prefer this or that pair of shoe depending on their needs, tastes, availability, etc. while some others would like to go with sandals or even barefoot.

The Truth is, most Religions originated from the desire of followers/adherents of prophets/Truth Bringers to institutionalize the teachings of those prophets. In doing so, the original and spiritual message of those prophets/truth bringers were distorted consciously or unconsciously by the propagators of those religions. In some other rare cases, the prophets themselves distorted the message and failed to live up to their callings. The result is, all those pieces of Truths which would have otherwise reunited perfectly, are now a(nother) source of division and hate.

However, God has given each one of us a receptor in our hearts to sense and follow the Truth, if we truly want it. Therefore Religion is not necessary to worship God. Each one should be allowed to follow whatever he is genuinely convinced about in his heart, provided it does not harm other people. In due time and with some experience, each one will see if his beliefs truly stand the test of time and experience. In such a case, he will now seek for the Truth, or blind his eyes to factual evidence of the falsehood of his beliefs.

To sum up, battles of Religions are not necessary, nor useful. God is not the author of Religion, as I have already stated in my first post.

I wish you all peace and Strength.

4 Likes

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by KingEbukaNaija: 7:28pm On Dec 28, 2015
PastorAIO:
The dude is an atheist, so what!?

He made a post to show how ridiculous your so-called criteria for knowing the true religion is. He said that by your criteria his religion of the tooth fairy will be the true religion.
He went further to say that it's like arguing which comic books has more fictitious heroes. It's not a very good example in my opinion because you can make a count of all the heroes in both and then verify each of them historically to know. However none of these steps can be applied, or rather you refuse to apply, to your religious claims.

But still, everything he said applies to the topic of the thread, i.e. How can we know the Correct Religion.

Unfortunately your pathetic response was an attempt to seek to attack atheism, in order to deflect the butthurt.

More like it . Let it all out . You guys are so easy to toy with it cool

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by KingEbukaNaija: 7:31pm On Dec 28, 2015
As anyone who cares can see that I've given my methodology as requested by the OP grin

When una serious make una mention me sha . grin
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by tartar9(m): 7:35pm On Dec 28, 2015
dalaman:
I've been seeing many theist here (christians and muslims, and sometimes catholics vs non catholics) arguing about how their religion is true and those that do not accepted their religion are either blind, arrogant or foolish. What I have never heard from any of the theist arguing in support of one religion or the other is providing an objective way through which we will all test and know which religion is true. How do we objectively know that Islam is true and Christianity is false and vice versa? Where is the objective test to prove any of these religious claim? What methodology can be used to test and verify it? How can other religions also be shown to be false, what methodology do they need to fail for us to know that they are false? Instead of repeating what you have been coerced and indoctrinated with since childhood, why don't they theist here do something different and show us with objective evidence why their religion is true and other religions are false.

what do you want proved in Islam
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by GooseBaba: 8:02pm On Dec 28, 2015
The only way to determine the correct religion. Is the almighty act and determination of self delusion. Without personal delusion one can never find a correct religion.

People sometimes snap out of such delusion and become ex this, ex that. But I'm yet to see an ex human being.

Humanity is the one and only true "religion"..as humans we are more than capable of doing extreme good and extreme evil. If indeed we have a creator, by clear evidence we already know the reasons why he/she gave us a brain. grin

5 Likes

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by PastorAIO: 8:13pm On Dec 28, 2015
Of course! The Toymaster!!

The day you stop taking God as a toy that day will be a wonderful day for you.

KingEbukaNaija:

More like it . Let it all out . You guys are so easy to toy with it cool

1 Like

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by dalaman: 8:31pm On Dec 28, 2015
tartar9:
what do you want proved in Islam

Read the OP it's very much clear.
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by Demmzy15(m): 10:23pm On Dec 28, 2015
**crashes into the thread's gate with his bulldozer** tongue
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by malvisguy212: 10:30pm On Dec 28, 2015
PastorAio did you say the messiah is not one of fundamental belief in Judaism ? You are wrong, according to the Jews, the messiah is to restore the kingdom back to isreal, this make the messiah one of the fundamental belief to them.

You miss my points entirely, why will a creator create this large universe with
billions of galaxies containing billions of
stars, so that the proper elements of life
can exist on our side of the universe to
form life? And then put "a" God consciousness in us, set eternity in us and make himself unknowable to us ? Its is very clear that this God want us to know He exist as paul put it this way;

Acts 17:27
"God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us"

This is were we come to religion,God create man but man invent religion. The trouble is that if humankind starts the system, it is doomed for failure. Instead, God would have to set up the religion for humans to find Him. Which way is the truth ?

Agnostic ? No, agnostic say it is impossible to know this God.Pantheism? I don't think so, Pantheism see the universe as God, for that the universe has to be eternal, but Is not. Polytheism say multiple gods create the universe, the moral law and interlingent design indicate ONE God is involved.

We are left with monotheis( Christianity, islam and Judaism). Islam say if your good deed outweigh
t your bad deed,paradise await you, this mean it doesent matter the sin I've commit I just need to outweight this evil deed, why will God design the moral law and watch man break it so easily ?

In Judaism, there was hope and expectation that the Messiah would come to set the world right. Uptil now, the Jews await the messiah.

In Christianity, man effort cannot earn him salvation, it is only by the work of God, the bible say we cannot boast of our righteousness, why ? Because our righteousness is as filty as rags .

Just as I say before. Most religions say
Jesus was a great teacher or prophet. So focus on that great teacher. Until you do, God will remain a blur. Consider a worst- case scenario. Suppose another
religion were right and instead of following that religion, I became a Christian. Many religions would say the
Christian life is reasonably moral. So, according to them, although I would miss top spot, my life after death would be fairly comfortable. A few claim that if I ignored their religion, after death I'll cease to exist. I can handle that. Some say I'd get another chance through
reincarnation. That's not too bad. But, relative to almost all religions, Jesus increased the stakes enormously. If he is right and I ignore him, the consequences are unthinkable. In addition, unlike most other religions, Jesus leaves his believers certain that they will enter heaven. Other religions
typically place so many requirements on their adherents before they could be
considered worthy of heaven that their followers endure a lifetime of uncertainty as to whether they have met those requirements.

To determine if Jesus' teaching is from God requires divine insight. Whether God grants a person this spiritual
understanding hinges on a single factor. That critical factor,said Jesus, is your willingness to obey God (John 7:17). Why
should God brother to open your eyes to spiritual truth if you are unwilling to respond to that truth? Yet, few of us are
prepared to pay that price. It involves a willingness to relinquish our hopes and
dreams for the future, to forego our pet sins and anything else God may ask.
Such abandonment seems crazy until we consider who God is. The God who made and sustains the entire universe is the source of all knowledge, moral goodness and love. That means he is good, he is trustworthy, he has our best
interest at heart, he is wiser than us and he loves us more than we love ourselves.
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by Demmzy15(m): 10:31pm On Dec 28, 2015
malvisguy212:
you are bias bro, did kingebuka told him to believe in Christianity ? He only ask him to scrutinize every religions claims. He even highlights the points for him. Dalaman reply was to attack Christianity. What is wrong with you people ? Even if you guys hate Christianity, try not be bias , people will listen to you guys.
Chai!!! Pa Malvis don come again o!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by Demmzy15(m): 10:33pm On Dec 28, 2015
malvisguy212:
shm
Do u mean "shaking head my" ?

1 Like

Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by PastorAIO: 10:40pm On Dec 28, 2015
malvisguy212:
PastorAio did you say the messiah is not one of fundamental belief in Judaism ? You are wrong, according to the Jews, the messiah is to restore the kingdom back to isreal, this make the messiah one of the fundamental belief to them.

Do you know how many Messiahs there are in the bible? King Saul was Messiah. King David was Messiah. Even the foreign King of Persia, King Cyrus, the king of kings and lord of lords was a Messiah.

Messiah simply means the anointed one.

Saying Messiah is fundamental to judaism is like saying Bishops are fundamental to christianity. Important yes, but christianity is not based on bishops. Judaism is not based on Messiahs or in the hope of Messiahs.

Messiahs mainly become important when the people are oppressed and they are looking for someone to stand up and free them.
Re: Knowing The Correct Religion by malvisguy212: 10:57pm On Dec 28, 2015
PastorAIO:

Do you know how many Messiahs there are in the bible? King Saul was Messiah. King David was Messiah. Even the foreign King of Persia, King Cyrus, the king of kings and lord of lords was a Messiah.

Messiah simply means the anointed one.

Saying Messiah is fundamental to judaism is like saying Bishops are fundamental to christianity. Important yes, but christianity is not based on bishops. Judaism is not based on Messiahs or in the hope of Messiahs.

Messiahs mainly become important when the people are oppressed and they are looking for someone to stand up and free them.
when they say 'messiah' the Jews know who that is, and they understand their prophecy more than you. Yes, All the kings in isreal are messiah, there is one messiah God promised, God say He will anoint this messiah Himself in isaiah 61:1.

Jeremiah 23:5-6 'The days are
coming,” declares the LORD, “when I
will raise up to David a righteous
Branch, a King who will reign wisely
and do what is just and right in the
land. In his days Judah will be saved
and Israel will live in safety. T his is
the name by which he will be called:
The LORD Our Righteousness.

The messiah is given the NAME of God
"The LORD Our Righteousness."

Micah 5:2 But thou, Beth-lehem
Ephrathah, which art little to be
among the thousands of Judah, out of
thee shall one come forth unto Me
that is to be ruler in Israel; whose
goings forth are from of old, from
ancient days .

In regard to His human nature, He is said to have been born in Bethlehem but in regard to His divine nature, He is
from ancient days. Their is NO way this messiah could be the names you mention.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wedding Photos: Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo’s Son, Tomi Weds Dorothy In Style / The Testimony Of A Buddhist Monk In Myanmar Who died and Came Back To life / Can We Change Our Destiny?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.