Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,730 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

How To Be Successful After School? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Be Successful After School? (669 Views)

7 Small Things You Should Do To Be Successful / 38 Career Tips You Must Know If You Want To Be Successful In Life / 10 Tips To Save Money & Be Rich After School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Be Successful After School? by Tosdam(m): 11:02am On Dec 29, 2015
How To Be Successful
After School?

It's really a long time here and it worth saying 'compliments of the season' to all Narialanders. And sincerely speaking, I have learnt a lot here.
Hence, I bring to the platform a career talk which will add value to whom it may concern. The topic 'How To Be Successful After School?' is one of the many topics highlighted by Suraj
Oyewale in his book 'THE ROAD TO VICTORIA ISLAND'. In case you don't know Suraj Oyewale; he is
popularly known as Jarus in Nigeria's Social Media Space, is a first class graduate of Economics from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. He owns an inspiring career website www.jurus.com. I pick the topic and some vital points
highlighted by Jarus to motivate and inspire all nairalanders here or you reading this piece into a glorious
and promising new year.

Obviously, one out of the many problems, if not the most
challenging question to Nigerian
undergraduates and graduates is 'how to be successful after
school? In relation to Jarus postulated points in 'The Road to Victoria Island', I have adduced to the topic to explain it in a clearer form.

There is no gainsaying that many persons have postulated that there are few jobs available outside the school and many Nigerian graduates are not employable. Outside the
highlighted facts, some Nigerian
graduates are really qualified yet they are not successful after
school because they lack some essential nutrients in their
ingredient. The following facts may help you as an
undergraduate or graduate. If you are an undergraduate, it is still very hot for you.

PACKAGING: packaging is a key to
your success after school. Imagine goods without package and the one with nice package,
which one do you think will sell fast?
Definitely, the one with nice package. Packaging makes you marketable. The way
and manner you carry yourself matters. Imagine a pastor
wearing a crazy and faded jeans and a
crazy shirt to address a congregation, he would definitely be identified as a crazy
person no matter the message he gives. You will be addressed
the way you are dressed.

FOCUS: so many Nigerian youths don't really have a well defined goal talk less of being focused.
They tend to be focused at old age or after graduation when there seems to be pressure. They
hardly think, they hardly stretch their brain- the brain is an elastic substance and it expand if you stretch it. I have heard so many youths say, 'they don't need to think' because they eat at the right time and catch fun when
they need it but life goes beyond food. Think a lot, set your eye on something big as a student and
never mind starting small. Be expressive, have the desire to do
something extra-ordinary as it will pushes you to success. Always wish to be at the top in
anything you do, don't play a second fidle. This will really step you up.

GOOD COMPANY: There goes a cliche thus 'show me your friend
and I will know who you are', this implies that the type of
friend you keep describe you in
person. Always keep good company. Majority of your friends (be it brilliant, religion, versatile)
may really help you. Even a lower half academic brilliance friend may bring sincere advice to your
table but bad friends will always share you wrong ideas. No
company will employ an unruly person or a person without
good character. A person with poor result is better than
someone with bad character.

READ ABOUT OTHERS
ACHIEVEMENT: Let your favourite
reading be based on other people, achievement,
appointment, promotion and
profile. What this does to you is that it motivates you.

NETWORKING: Most people don't really know the important of meeting people. This really help a lot. Always have this attitude of 'just give it a shot'. This will help you meet people who can add value to your life. Sometimes,
when you are brillaint but don't
have connections, it can constitute a snag in your progress. Meet your senior
colleagues, alumni, and progressive minded people. Rich
men don't just go to club to drink, they go there to meet people of their calibre. Meet
people that can add value to you but be careful so that you meet the right people.

GOOD FAMILY: Don't be surprised, 'good family' is on this list. Yes, A good family play a key role in the
success of a person. Good family provides advise and guide for
you all the time. There is always
someone you look forward to in your family while growing up.

VERSATALITY: This really help a lot, most especially during
interview. It help you to get early exposure. You get many ability to discuss varying subjects from
your core specialization to fields like sports, politics, religion and
career etc. This open doors for
many things.

Finally, say few things about yourself and listen to advice more.

Iyiola Oluwatosin. D
Re: How To Be Successful After School? by Tosdam(m): 11:42am On Dec 29, 2015
Re: How To Be Successful After School? by valdetino(m): 11:46am On Dec 29, 2015
I remove my cap for you. Op

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Get Ahead With Information Technology Certification At GNT Nigeria. / “my Boss Makes Me Feel Like An Idiot.” / 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.