Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,433 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime (1186 Views)

Strange New Comet Discovered / Fragments Of Halley’s Comet Will Fly Across The Sky This Weekend As Shootingstaz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime by techmandy: 4:21pm On Dec 29, 2015
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but i didnt see any thread thst deals with discoveries
Over the next few weeks, one of the most beautiful comets we’ve ever discovered, Comet Catalina, will pass by Earth in what’s expected to be its first and only visit to the inner Solar System. More info below...

And while its closest flyby for those in the Northern Hemisphere will be on 17 January 2016, you might want to stash some binoculars in your bag on New Year’s Day - on 1 January, Comet Catalina is expected to move within 0.4 degrees (less than the apparent width of the Moon) of Arcturus - one of the brightest stars in the sky. If ever there were a ridiculous space photography moment, this is it.

Whenever you choose to look up, just make sure you’ve got some help. Comet Catalina should be pretty bright, and against really dark skies you might be able to spot it with the naked eye, but it’s best to be prepared and take some binoculars or a little telescope with you on your skywatching trip.

The best time to spot it will be late at night on 17 January, when it’ll be about 100,000,000 kilometres away. That sounds like a whole lot, but that’s actually pretty close for a comet. Once it hits its closest point, it’ll draw away from Earth, becoming increasingly hard to see, so make that your deadline!

Oh and bad news for our Southern Hemisphere readers - if you haven't seen Comet Catalina this year already, it's too late now. Better hop on a plane quick-smart!

As astronomer Phil Plait says over at Slate, what makes this comet so special is that because of a trick of perspective, Comet Catalina looks like it’s got two tails pointing in different directions.

One’s made from gas and the other from dust, and because of the angle from which those in the Northern Hemisphere will be viewing it, it looks like tail is shooting out in front of it and one behind. Have your cameras ready!

The other really cool thing is where Catalina has been for the past several million years. Plait explains:

"Catalina is coming from very deep space, probably out in the Oort cloud - the vast repository of icy bodies far, far beyond the orbit of Neptune. Its orbit may have originally been millions of years long!

But something gave it a kick - perhaps a star that passed a couple of light years away a million years ago, or the tides from the galaxy itself - and dropped it toward the Sun. This kick also gave it a teeny bit more energy, just enough added speed that it achieved escape velocity. That means it has enough energy to escape from the Sun altogether, and is on its way out of the Solar System forever (this is technically called a hyperbolic orbit)."

So don’t let this one go - you’ve got one shot this month, and then it’s gone forever. Get your cameras, binoculars, and telescopes ready, and if New Year’s Day is becoming all too stressful because you don’t know what to do when with whom, just tell everyone you’re spending it with Comet Catalina and make sure you see this with a friend or family.

http://techmandy..com.ng/2015/12/nows-your-last-chance-to-see-comet.html
Re: Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime by prof800(m): 6:34pm On Dec 29, 2015
Wow.! One of the most beautiful comets ever discovered.!
What is it's perihelion? How close is it coming?
Re: Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime by fabulous660(m): 7:40pm On Dec 29, 2015
awesome.... be vigilant at that time.
Re: Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime by daamazing(m): 7:41pm On Dec 29, 2015
Dis one dier saying night,i hope we see it here in Nigeria to in the night.lalasticalala
Re: Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime by prof800(m): 8:41pm On Dec 29, 2015
daamazing:
Dis one dier saying night,i hope we see it here in Nigeria to in the night. lalasticalala
I hope so too ooo.
Hopefully, it won't be like the last blood moon, where we had to watch the sky till 1:00am and didn't see nothing because the sky was too cloudy.
sad

fabulous660:
awesome.... be vigilant at that time.
wink
Re: Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime by Feraz(m): 8:51pm On Dec 29, 2015
I hope to see this one like I saw the blood moon.

Prof800, I see you! cool
Re: Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime by prof800(m): 9:12pm On Dec 29, 2015
Feraz:
I hope to see this one like I saw the blood moon.

Prof800, I see you! cool
Feraz..!
Don't tell me you saw the blood moon ooo.
If you did, then you probably were in the northern part of the country by then. I was in the southeast by then and it was too cloudy to see anything. sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad embarassed
Re: Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime by Feraz(m): 9:27pm On Dec 29, 2015
prof800:

Feraz..!
Don't tell me you saw the blood moon ooo.
If you did, then you probably were in the northern part of the country by then. I was in the southeast by then and it was too cloudy to see anything. sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad embarassed
Very correct sir! grin

I followed the lunar eclipse when it started at about 1am, peaked at about 3:47am (the blood moon) and ended at about 5am.
Re: Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime by prof800(m): 9:52pm On Dec 29, 2015
Feraz:
Very correct sir! grin

I followed the lunar eclipse when it started at about 1am, peaked at about 3:47am (the blood moon) and ended at about 5am.
That same 1am, I was outside staring at the cloudy sky like an ancient occultist grin and waiting for something to show, until my neighbour then came out and asked if I was performing rituals. hehehe.. grin grin
grin

If you can follow the lunar eclipse that way, then I'm sure that by now, you would already have your binoculars or even telescope preparing for Comet Catalina. wink
Sharp guy! grin
Re: Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime by Feraz(m): 9:56pm On Dec 29, 2015
prof800:

That same 1am, I was outside staring at the cloudy sky like an ancient occultist grin and waiting for something to show, until my neighbour then came out and asked if I was performing rituals. hehehe.. grin grin
grin

If you can follow the lunar eclipse that way, then I'm sure that by now, you would already have your binoculars or even telescope preparing for Comet Catalina. wink
Sharp guy! grin

I even called two people that morning on phone to come outside to check it.

For where? I go try see whether my eyes fit see am. If in no work, I go zoom!
Re: Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime by cooljude(m): 5:59pm On Dec 30, 2015
prof800:

grin

Sharp guy! grin

can i get a telescope in Nigeria. Even a binoculars.
Re: Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime by Dekatron(m): 5:56pm On Dec 31, 2015
Lalasticlala will NEVER move this to FP

If na Davido and Sophia, he will move it o.

Yeye mods. . . . I gave up on NL long ago
Re: Now Is Your Last Chance To See Comet Catalina In Your Lifetime by Nobody: 2:00am On Jan 01, 2016
Wonder. JAn 17, it's a date!

(1) (Reply)

TECNO Boom J8, "App Not Installed / App Isn't Installed" Problem / CRYPTOGENE ICO - An ICO You Can't Afford To Miss / 12 Amazing African Inventions That Created The Civilized World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.