Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,213 members, 7,818,723 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

What's The English Name Of Moimoi? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's The English Name Of Moimoi? (71089 Views)

Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) / List Of New Words Added To The English Dictionary In 2016 / 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by lielbree: 11:20am On Jan 04, 2016
Beans pudding grin or beans moose
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by misterjosh(m): 11:20am On Jan 04, 2016
Maximillian1:
The english name is bean cake..most people mistake bean cake for akara..akara is bean ball while moi moi is the real bean cake
correct jhur... If I'm not mistaken, puddings r a bit watery like oat or custard... Moimoi is more solid nd cakey
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by Adeyinka12(m): 11:22am On Jan 04, 2016
Tosdam:
Nairalanders, abeg, what's the English name of moimoi?
why did you always want everything to be in english ,later u will be searching for english name of agbada . Anyway you can call it ''glue teeth glue teeth'' moyin moyin /moi moi

1 Like

Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by misterjosh(m): 11:22am On Jan 04, 2016
Beans pudding should be that gbegiri soup, my humble thought

1 Like

Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by noskyboy(m): 11:22am On Jan 04, 2016
Tosdam:
this question is a clear sign that you and a lot of Nigerians, are still under cultural imperialism from the West. must every thing have an English or foreign name? even things that we developed indeginously, must we westernize every thing. moi moi is moi moi. thats the name we gave it, because we made it. so they should call it by our name. ask ur self this, is pizza an English word. why are the Westerners not asking what the English name of pizza is. pls this thread should be closed. and should never have made front page.

3 Likes

Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by muhakeem(m): 11:23am On Jan 04, 2016
pls Op, say it in English before I tell u the English name
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by Nobody: 11:23am On Jan 04, 2016
Maximillian1:
well am science inclined and I did not study food ands nutrition xo u might be right

My late sister worked with coca cola as a caterer and she knows all about continental and african dishes. She always called moi moi bean pudding and when I asked why, she gave me the explanation.

Besides I enjoy watching the food network on dstv and even there its called a pudding
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by Totfulguy: 11:24am On Jan 04, 2016
Tosdam:

My-O-My

1 Like

Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by WhatOnEarth: 11:24am On Jan 04, 2016
Moimoi na moimoi.
Be proud of your own not.
BTW what is the pidgin English name of salad?
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by Kemmy210(f): 11:24am On Jan 04, 2016
Moimoi is the English name of olele/Oole(Yoruba),bean cake is akara(also in Yoruba)
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by Naomite(f): 11:24am On Jan 04, 2016
hotgunz:
Bean porridge
Beans porridge ko bean loaf nii
Its called Beans pudding EOD
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by oz4real83(m): 11:25am On Jan 04, 2016
Ayo081:
Bean(s) cake
do u bake the beans when preparing moi-moi? Very wrong
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by cruz419(m): 11:26am On Jan 04, 2016
sorry I only know d Igbo name!¡!!!?
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by Maximillian1: 11:26am On Jan 04, 2016
hoseamatoh:

I'm what planet do you cook cake?
boss do you know baking is a part of cooking?? Why do you think some people use pot and stove when preparing cake rather than ovens
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by oz4real83(m): 11:26am On Jan 04, 2016
Tosdam:

You Confidently get it wrong. Bean cake is Akara...
it isn't akara. U don't bake but fry akara.
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by luckyboss(m): 11:27am On Jan 04, 2016
Op just as i want you to tell me what a "(CHEMICAL) " is called in your native language.
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by hotgunz(m): 11:27am On Jan 04, 2016
Naomite:

Beans porridge ko bean loaf nii
Its called Beans pudding EOD
embarasseddo u knw wat i had in English language..... DC
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by cruz419(m): 11:27am On Jan 04, 2016
sorry I only know d Igbo name!¡!!!? undecided
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by theyrynsolar(f): 11:27am On Jan 04, 2016
HRich:
After the crying you still get it wrong.

OK Mr wailer tell me the right word for it
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by dacovajnr: 11:28am On Jan 04, 2016
Tosdam:

You Confidently get it wrong. Bean cake is Akara...
It's still beans cake
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by Naomite(f): 11:29am On Jan 04, 2016
misterjosh:
Beans pudding should be that gbegiri soup, my humble thought

U re humbly wrong sir

1 Like

Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by Nobody: 11:30am On Jan 04, 2016
that stuff is not an indigenous food so no name
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by Bigdreams(m): 11:31am On Jan 04, 2016
LOL!

Funny question!

Grab the FREE REPORT in my signature
www.targetedsms247.com/freereport
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by austynoh: 11:31am On Jan 04, 2016
MoiMoi is MoiMoi
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by pingpong1: 11:31am On Jan 04, 2016
Tosdam:

Bean Burger
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by pingpong1: 11:33am On Jan 04, 2016
WhatOnEarth:
Moimoi na moimoi.
Be proud of your own not.
BTW what is the pidgin English name of salad?

menemene

1 Like

Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by Naomite(f): 11:33am On Jan 04, 2016
hotgunz:
embarasseddo u knw wat i had in English language..... DC

Dude, who cares? undecided
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by Nobody: 11:34am On Jan 04, 2016
I am so surprised at what many are saying here. So nobody ventures out of their comfort zone when cooking... even the ladies? Amazing!

For those saying akara cannot be a cake because you do not fry cakes are totally wrong.

You can fry cakes as in the case of cheese cakes, you can grill cakes and you can barbecue them it all depends on your spirit of adventure. Nothing is set in stone when it comes to preparing meals thats why we have different versions of preparing the same meal worldwide.

Those who said a pudding is like a soup made me laugh. A pudding is not a soup.. soup is watery and pudding is harder although still rather mushy.
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by jstbeinhonest(m): 11:35am On Jan 04, 2016
Zedric:
Random Question: Why must all Nigerian foods have an English name? Can't we be proud of the names they already have

I dont think 'moi moi' is a nigerian food,i have seen americans eat it in their resturants,even at a wedding in vegas,though it was a little more watery than what we take,it was even in leaves, i think its called 'pudding'...not sure though.
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by oz4real83(m): 11:35am On Jan 04, 2016
There are many borrowed words for food in English language. Spaghetti,noodles,maccaroni and many others are kinds of diet that English don't have words for. They just adopted the names as the original owners called them. These words are mostly italian,spanish,french and some other languages. I think moi-moi is supposed to be part of it if not for racism. Some people will say it is bake-beans and it is wrong. U don't bake or fry moi-moi. U don't even boil it. It is steamed! Bole',agidi,akpu,amala,ogii are all examples of such.
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by Nobody: 11:36am On Jan 04, 2016
SmartMugu:
But Oyinbo call beans cowpeas.
My friend cowpeas is "Akidi" in Igbo lang.
Re: What's The English Name Of Moimoi? by Young03(m): 11:36am On Jan 04, 2016
Official nsukka language

r u from der?

rheether:
MaiMai.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Dasola: Ibadan Poly Female Student Hacked To Death; Eyes Plucked Out (pic) / Female Underwear Found In Unilag Library For Law Students / Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.