Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Is It My Fault That I'm A Bastard? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It My Fault That I'm A Bastard? (2426 Views)

"I Waited For 20 Years And I'm A Proud Mum Now. Had 6 Unsuccessful IVFS" - Woman / I'm A Proud Single Mother Of 9-Years-Old Dude; Lady Reveals On Facebook. Photos / Mum Still Thinks I'm A Virgin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It My Fault That I'm A Bastard? by TyLegal: 5:20pm On Jan 01, 2016
It was common knowledge in class that Busayo (not real name) did not know who her father was. This made Busayo the brunt of jokes and ridicules because as kids, we just did not understand why she wouldn’t know her father. It never occurred to us that it was not her fault. And even if it did, we just didn’t care. Busayo was the odd one out for not knowing her father and it didn’t help that she was an albino. So we all taunted her by calling her a bastard.

The word “bastard” has always been considered a very offensive word. The ‘bastard’ child is given all kinds of derogatory names and mean looks as if it is the child’s fault for not knowing his/her father.

But how is it a person’s fault for not knowing his/her father? And sometimes, depending on the circumstances, it isn’t the fault of the mother either.

Children born out of wedlock are considered to be bastards or illegitimate. Back in the days, such children were deprived recognition as a family member and they did not enjoy certain legal rights which legitimate children enjoyed. The illegitimate child was denied the right to inheritance, succession, maintenance, amongst other rights. It was believed that this will help reduce the rate of illegitimate children. Has it really helped? If anything, the rate has increased alarmingly.

Only legitimate children could inherit their father’s estates; they enjoyed rights to maintenance, protection, custody, etc. Illegitimate children on the other hand were denied these rights and were made to face the stigmatization of the circumstances of their birth.

A legitimate child is entitled to inherit from both parents. An illegitimate child cannot inherit his father’s property especially if the father dies without a will; he can only inherit his mother’s property if she dies without a will except where she has other legitimate children.

This is a form of discrimination which contravenes the fundamental right to freedom from discrimination that every citizen is entitled to. The constitution provides that, “No citizen of Nigeria shall be subjected to any disabilities or deprivation merely by reason or the circumstance of his birth.”

Children should not be made to pay for the sins or mistakes of their parents. Nobody can choose how he/she comes into this world and we most certainly cannot choose our parents. An illegitimate child is not responsible for his predicament and punishing or discriminating against such a child is unfair and unreasonable.

It is however possible for an illegitimate child to become legitimate; if the parents get married subsequently or if the father of the child acknowledges that he is the father. This means the illegitimate child acquires a legitimate status and becomes a legitimate child. Such a child will get to enjoy full benefits from his father as if he was born a legitimate child. This is a means of protecting an illegitimate child so that he/she is entitled to certain rights and benefits.

Discrimination against illegitimate children should not be condoned and there should be laws that will prohibit such discrimination. Also, other family members or relatives of the father should be allowed to acknowledge the child. This should not be left solely to the father especially in a case where the father is dead. There should also be more awareness especially among youths on the consequences of their actions to reduce the rate of producing illegitimate children. [url][/url]www.tylegal.com
Re: Is It My Fault That I'm A Bastard? by Haywhymido(m): 5:32pm On Jan 01, 2016
Owk
Re: Is It My Fault That I'm A Bastard? by garyaustin(m): 5:34pm On Jan 01, 2016
Section 42 of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria protects everyone from suffering any disability due to the circumstances of ones' birth.
Re: Is It My Fault That I'm A Bastard? by ronald4lif(m): 5:43pm On Jan 01, 2016
“No citizen of Nigeria shall be subjected to any disabilities or deprivation merely by reason or the circumstance of his birth.”

It has never been about promulgating laws but enforcing them. The Nigerian government is the numero uno abuser of laws that seeks to protect people living with disabilities. They just make laws for formality but don't give a damn. They need to adopt positive measures from functioning countries and see how they treat their disabled citizens. A disable person in our country lives in extremely tough conditions.

Well, it was an enlighten piece and I hope people should stop this senseless discrimination against children conceived out of wedlock. It makes no sense as they never gave their consent to be birth by their parents neither were they responsible for the circumstance surrounding their birth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It My Fault That I'm A Bastard? by thorpido(m): 5:52pm On Jan 01, 2016
No matter the circumstances of your birth,you need to know you are beautifully and wonderfully made.You didn't choose how you came.
I once dated a lady who didn't know her father too.The man got the mother pregnant and disappeared.

1 Like

Re: Is It My Fault That I'm A Bastard? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 01, 2016
So what? Even the president of the United States of America is what people refer to as "bastard". grin
People will call you names weather you were born in or outside wedlock. So what?
Re: Is It My Fault That I'm A Bastard? by Timbuktuo: 6:55pm On Jan 01, 2016
Mindfulness:
So what? Even the president of the United States of America is what people refer to as "bastard". grin
People will call you names weather you were born in or outside wedlock. So what?

Sometimes you make much sense.

1 Like

Re: Is It My Fault That I'm A Bastard? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jan 01, 2016
Timbuktuo:

Sometimes you make much sense.

+ the times when you do not like it. tongue

smiley Happy New Year Tim! smiley
Re: Is It My Fault That I'm A Bastard? by Timbuktuo: 7:25pm On Jan 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

+ the times when you do not like it. tongue

smiley Happy New Year Tim! smiley
Nah. I'm never wrong. If I don't like it, it's boosit. grin tongue
Happy new year to you too.

1 Like

Re: Is It My Fault That I'm A Bastard? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 01, 2016
Timbuktuo:

Nah. I'm never wrong. If I don't like it, it's boosit. grin tongue

Happy new year to you too.

grin

(1) (Reply)

I'm Worried. Pls Help! / Between Your Mother And Your Husband . . . / Ageing: The Vanity of Beauty (Touching Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.